PDA

View Full Version : Production Take Down recurve suggestions

tailgate77
06-07-2015, 06:51 PM
I am pondering a take down recurve. I don't have the scratch for a custom model. I like the looks of the Martin Cypress with a 45# limb. Would rather have a wood riser over aluminum. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Foxtail
06-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Sammick Sage. For the price it can't be beat. It will definitely start you on a downward spiral into full on bow collecting addict lol.

Wild one
06-08-2015, 09:46 AM
I shoot a pse mustang and I am happy with it

Good starter bow till you upgrade to what you want

aggiehunter
06-08-2015, 10:18 PM
I shot a takedown for years... a TD Chekmate Hunter...and I never ever took it down....what are your hunting plans for the bow..even when I backpacked with it I liked it to be ready. The neatest takedown system I ever shot was an old Fred Bear takedown...no tools required.

J_T
06-09-2015, 06:21 AM
I shoot a Take Down Hunter. Bought it second hand in 1996. I never unstring it. I would question your want for a 45 pound bow though. I'd bump that up a bit, as trajectory is more important the lighter you go. Just my opinion though. Are you hoping to hunt with it? Or target? There are some real pretty bows being sold by Windfeather Traditional Archery right now.

RoscoeP
06-09-2015, 06:50 AM
I shot a takedown for years... a TD Chekmate Hunter...and I never ever took it down....what are your hunting plans for the bow..even when I backpacked with it I liked it to be ready. The neatest takedown system I ever shot was an old Fred Bear takedown...no tools required.
Lots of CM take down hunters around, good bows. I have a Bear take down and really like it but a new one will cost you over $1000. What about a Trad tech ILF bow, they have different models and different price ranges.

Foxtail
06-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Another option is to find an old compound bow, preferably a Bear BlackBear and simply bolt some Samick Sage limbs(around $80) onto it. Later on you can get it Warf'd(have dovetails milled into the limb pockets for ILF limbs) I have one and if you are close you can shoot it. I am going to try to get to the Logan Lake 3d if anyone wants to try it.

tailgate77
06-09-2015, 07:36 AM
I certainly want to hunt with it. I am thinking that maybe 50# would be better. My current bow is 45#. I want the take down option for ease of travelling in a vehicle or by bicycle. There sure are lots of options out there!

J_T
06-09-2015, 08:02 AM
^ With a 45lb bow, you would probably shoot a 450gr arrow effectively, depending on the bow. And the speed of the arrow, off the shelf, is likely around 170fps. For hunting, just to manage your expectation, I'd check the kinetic energy of that.

TheProvider
06-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Figure out a price range that you want to spend. Take downs are nice not only for the ease of travel but also for purchasing different sets of limbs in different weights. Normally much cheaper than buying a whole new bow. There are a lot of bowyers out there. You'd be surprised what you can get a nice bow for that is not production. Be prepared though most takedown models are more than the average one piece.

tailgate77
06-17-2015, 06:47 AM
I picked up a Samick Sage from Cabelas. It has 55lb limbs. A little bit heavy right now so I will have to build up some strength. I am quite impressed with the quality of the risers and limbs. Very nice!

RoscoeP
06-17-2015, 07:40 AM
I would take it back right now and get 45 lb. limbs, plenty for hunting. You will just develop crappy shooting form with to heavy a draw weight. And remember that first shot when you are hunting you will have no warm up and it will probably be cold out. I have quite a few bows 40 - 51# and before I shoot a round of 3-D with the 51# bow I shoot 2-3 dozen arrows. I will use a 44 and 45 pound bow for my hunting.

Foxtail
06-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Where are you located tailgate? I have a set of 40lb limbs I wont need pretty quick when my new ILF limbs arrive. I can lend them to you if ya want...