PDA

View Full Version : salt licks and cows

elkeater
06-07-2015, 08:49 AM
its there a way to keep cows from liking my lick to much I was thinking about digging a hole so it was level with the ground. ANY THOUGHTS

358mag
06-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Put up a 3 strand smooth wire fence 40 ft radius around your lick , deer will jump over it but cows cant .

SR80
06-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Electric fence ? Its amazing how far cows will travel to your salt lick, and the damage they do to the ground after 35 cows have been licking it. Its a huge pain here in Kamloops with cattle free ranging almost evergwhere

Liveforthehunt
06-07-2015, 09:42 AM
It's funny you say that I have mine no more than 200 yards where cattle roam and they do not go into the area
.. it's not like walking is hard either ? Maybe too many predators . Get lots of g bears and cougars along with the ungulates. A fence ? I'm not sure if that's legal ?

303savage
06-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Just wondering why there are salt block out in the bush if they aren't for cows.

.300WSMImpact!
06-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Just wondering why there are salt block out in the bush if they aren't for cows.

for deer elk or moose, put salt in front of trail cams and see what animals are in the area

M.Dean
06-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Put up a 3 strand smooth wire fence 40 ft radius around your lick , deer will jump over it but cows cant . Just guessing here, but, if the rancher was to come along and see a fence around your deer lick, chances are he's going to tear down the fence and put the block in the back of his truck! I know that's what I'd do, and I'm just friends with the rancher! Reason being the rancher has no idea what kind of block you put there, and secondly, your make shift fence is just one more thing his cattle can get stuck in, or worse yet, get tangled up so bad they die. But, I've been thinking, what if a guy took a shovel and dug a hole about 3 feet deep, then crushed up the block, mineral or salt, then mixed it up real good with the dirt, then when you start putting the mixed up dirt back in the hole, add a 5 gal buck of water and stir the crap out of it? This way it's more like a natural lick? I think I'd try to find a shaded area, creek, swamp or lake close by to keep the ground moist, then see what comes in. And, if there's no fence around it, who's going to know where it is but you!!! Hey, I might just Patten this idea!

elkeater
06-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Well I went and buried it today so I guess i'll see

meesemoot
06-07-2015, 03:24 PM
for deer elk or moose, put salt in front of trail cams and see what animals are in the area
You don't have to pussy foot around the subject; it's perfectly legal to hunt over a salt lick/bait in BC. Bears excepted.

.300WSMImpact!
06-07-2015, 04:38 PM
You don't have to pussy foot around the subject; it's perfectly legal to hunt over a salt lick/bait in BC. Bears excepted.

funny thing, I set up close to 10 salt lick locations a year, and I am yet to hunt over any of them, I hunt close to them but never on them, cams for me is fun another reason to get into the bush

ruger#1
06-07-2015, 04:57 PM
I put cams out where I hunt. With water softener salts. I have seen bucks on the cam. Nice three pointers. But never see them while hunting.

yota
06-07-2015, 06:43 PM
I dug up an area about 3 feet by 3 feet and 6 inches deep then poured 1 bag of trace mineral and 1 bag of driveway salt "undied of course" mixed with the shovel and it's been working for 3 years now and needs to be replenished about every 2 years theres about 200 elk i the area and quite a few deer. the whole has been eaten about 10 8nches deep now.

Doostien
06-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Putting out salt when the cows are out there is just asking for them to eat it. When ranchers put salt out they have very specific criteria they need to follow. It can't be too close to water, it can't be in the middle of a meadow, it can't be near an at risk species, etc, etc. Salting locations are submitted to the range branch and periodically inspected. This way damage can be minimized. Putting salt out in a place where you think lots of animals will eat it, without considering the location, puts the rancher in a tough spot. His cattle are going to eat that salt and if the location is poor the Range branch will be on him about it.

Putting up a fence is most certainly against the law. The ranchers pay for the grass that fence will contain, they have a right to let their cattle graze it. Plus you can't build fence on crown land without a permit. Yota's idea is a good one, cows aren't the greatest at finding salt and mostly won't search it out. They know the spots where salt is and go back there most every year.

Daybreak
06-07-2015, 07:33 PM
You could always get into the thick where blow downs (natures fence) and cattle won't mix. Find yourself some game trails that go where the cattle can't. If you don't see years of cow pies and trampled ground it's pretty safe to say the cattle simply don't go there.

gcreek
06-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Why not just ask the rancher if he minds you putting cameras up at his salt stations. The same wildlife will be using his salt too. Save your dollars for wolf ammo...........

srupp
06-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Why noit clever just ask the rancher if he minds you putting cameras up at his salt stations. The same wildlife will be using his salt too. Save your dollars for wolf ammo...........

Hmmm brilliant....so simple Its clever..
Hunting wolves is at the top of my to do list, now that pronghorn was crossed off that list #2 is a wolf or 5..gonna check with Chilcotin Hillbilly..shot at but never harvested one..look out west chilcotin.
Great idea..
Srupp