PDA

View Full Version : My 2015 grizzly hunt

b.c hunter 88
06-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Hey everyone
I just got back to work and been trying to find time to post this.
My computer crashed so I gotta figure how to upload pics.
My hunt started with 1800 km drive from work to Vancouver to pick up gear and my hunting buddy. From hear it was another 800 km drive to my zone that evening we seen 14 black bears on our way in we set up camp. Day one we started our day at 4 am had coffee and headed out at this point my grizzly tag was not valid for another day of course we got glimps of the grizzly we plan to hunt it was a bore suspected of the nine foot area. Later that day I harvested a nice black bear. Day two hunt the morning run to bucher. On our way into camp there wear many black bears and one small glimpse of a grizzly. As we neared camp there was a black bear running out of our camp. He decided to tar up our camp so we ended up sleeping in the truck. Day three start early hunt hard missed a few blackies. Went to wells and got rooms at hub motel awesome people.day 4 had a local come out with us they wear very helpful.seen more black bears no grizzly. Day 5 very sore from hikesing but heading back out again more black bears. Got to the road wear we hiked into the day before hears a grizzly sow with four cubs about 3/year olds heading out of the road we hiked the day before.kinda scary. Its bad when you round the corner after seeing the sow and cubs and decide to shoot the big black bear pretty Sure he was the one that tore up camp.he ran 75 yards in the steepest thickest brush ever not fun and knowing there a sow and cubs. Got my bear loaded and kept hunting later that evening we went to deal with my second bear and had a grizzly sneak up on us grunting and all that but never showing it self. We quickly got loaded and got out of there. Day 6 we decided to go in after a grizzly we had seen 3 times in that area we went in of a over grown road into the center of wear this bore kept giving us a glimpse so as we got deeper in we could hear him in the brush and he was snorting and all that stuff at us. We decided to get out of there since it was just to thick and visability was very limited. The rest of our trip was lots of black bears and a porkipine lots of moose. Srupp helped me and told me I'd see 7 grizzlys in total I seen 9 grizzlys and 250 + black bears which 50 + of them wear color faze . we never got to harvest a grizzly but had a awesome advenger in total my truck got 5800 km on it and we hiked allot I'm guessing a few hundred km. I learned grizzlys are way different than black bears and the time and effort required the find the big trophy is much greater than any animal I have ever hunted. I hope to draw agein next year for a new zone. I can say spotting scopes are required. I'd really like to say thanks to Srupp for the help and advice. If you listen and take his advice it will for sure increases your odds of seeing one.
I will post pics soon.
Thanks
Kevin

Drillbit
06-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Red Ford truck?

lots bears in region 5 (wells was the giveaway). Could pretty much put them on the schedule c list.

srupp
06-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks Kevin..best blavk bear day ever was in that area..40 blavks in one day..harvested a beauty farrah fawcett blond boar..
Glad you were safe, got a couple of black bears..area still grows exceptionally big old grizzly bears..2 of the oldest bears recorded were harvested in that very area.in past couple years!
My privil3dge to try and add to your bear experience in Betty Franks old stomping grounds..cariboo mts.
Cheers
Steven

nature girl
06-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Now that sounded like a fun trip. Nothing like getting your adrenaline pumping.

b.c hunter 88
06-06-2015, 09:15 AM
It was 5-15 C zone .

cannotsin1
06-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Wow ! Thanks a lot great hunting story. Looking forward to the photos as well. If there was a large grizzly bear snorting and huffin at me in bush so thick I could not see it I would leave as well. May not want to go back :arrow:! I am ok mostly with the ones I can see but when they disappear or I do not know where they are and I know they are close or see not what they are doing I am so not comfy. Some times I know there is a bear real close and it creeps me out if I can not see it ! I never thought a person could see so may bears no wonder the moose numbers are down. Sounds like from the numbers you have seen in a short time that every hunter should be taken bears as well.

b.c hunter 88
06-07-2015, 09:17 AM
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/kevin_ede1/profile/

Hopefully this works I'll get more pics up soon but hears a few from our trip

srupp
06-07-2015, 04:08 PM
..hmm awesome photos kevin...moose population is still strong..some good eating with the 2 black bears..
thanks for sharing..
love the camp photo at the falls..

cheers

Steven

Tīɡ
06-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks for sharing and congrats on the 2 nice blackies!

kush
06-08-2015, 09:09 PM
great story

tigrr
06-08-2015, 11:07 PM
You Kevin are a brave man tenting it!! Nice B bears. That country is awesome eh? Steve has the knowledge of the cariboo. Some day I will sit down with him and just chat. I have so many places to explore it isn't funny. In November I came across a pile of grizzly scat that would fill a 2 gallon pail. Didn't sleep much after that.

b.c hunter 88
06-10-2015, 09:23 AM
The first black bear we got we went back the next day the gut pile gone and scat beside wear the gut pile was must of been a 12 x 12 pile I'd have to think grizzly but yea never know up there.

06-10-2015, 10:03 AM
nice looking piece of wood on your rifle!