PDA

View Full Version : Shore/dock opportunities for Kokanee in 8-22

FourOhs
06-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Hey all,

I'm wondering if fishing for Kokanee from shore is ever done (i.e. successfully). Living around Vernon, we've got Kalamalka Lake and Wood Lake that both have Kokanee stocks. I, however, don't have a boat. I'd love to get my little tyke out with his spinning rod to wrestle some Kokanee. As Wood Lake is a smaller lake, I'm imagining shore fishing might be more feasible down there, but Kal Lake is a lot closer (like 3 minutes from home).

GoatGuy
06-03-2015, 09:49 AM
It can be done, but it isn't the easiest thing to do.

In the evenings the plankton moves up the water column and you can sometimes see the fish right near the surface and near shore. It would probably require some moving around and binoculars would help. The lure would have to be something small and pink that you could cast out.

Woods also has lots of perch in it, which can be caught from shore and keeps kids entertained.

Sunzuki
06-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Never underestimate the chances of catching fish from shore.
A few years back we were fishing Kamloops Lake over by the tunnel
just west of the old school.
Four lads on shore casting out were kicking our butts.
Not sure why, but they landed a few in short order.
We stayed just outside their casting range and got nadda.

FourOhs
06-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys. I think we'll hit Wood Lake soon. Even "wrestling" a monster perch or 12 would be great fun. :)

adriaticum
06-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Osoyoos lake

Liveforthehunt
06-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Echo lake. I have a boat but just rip out there after work some days go for a couple hours I have pulled in a couple dozen koks in there this year and lots of bows. Show be able to see em right off shore if yea know where to fish :). I fly fish but the gf uses something bright and Shiney does the trick.

FourOhs
06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Echo Lake is 43 minutes from home to lake, according to Google Maps, that's awesome. It looks good too, and quieter than Wood Lake (certainly less highway noise.) :)

Sofa King
06-03-2015, 01:03 PM
x2 on echo.
lots of guys do very well from shore, even for bigger fish.
and remember, no matter what the lake, any dock is public.
just dont cross private property to qccess them, but the shoreline is public as well.

FourOhs
06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
just dont cross private property to qccess them, but the shoreline is public as well.Interesting, is that part of a Ministry of Environment Act, or is it just general 'lore'?

Sofa King
06-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Interesting, is that part of a Ministry of Environment Act, or is it just general 'lore'?

nobody can own a dock that is put into public waters.
they can pay all they want for it, but anyone can come and use it.
and nobody owns land within a certain distance of high water line.
so anyone on nice, sweet lakefront properties doesnt own what they usually pretend to.
its illegal to build a fence right to the water, like almost everyone on okanagan has done.

Dannybuoy
06-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Interesting, is that part of a Ministry of Environment Act, or is it just general 'lore'?

Sofa king folklore I presume ..... highwater mark on the shore =public , private property docks ??

Sofa King
06-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Sofa king folklore I presume ..... highwater mark on the shore =public , private property docks ??
who said anything about private property docks?

Dannybuoy
06-03-2015, 10:53 PM
x2 on echo.
lots of guys do very well from shore, even for bigger fish.
just dont cross private property to qccess them, but the shoreline is public as well.

I highlighted and underlined it for you .... the foreshore (highwater line) may be public But the dock Not so much . I was just correcting your incorrect advise :p

Sofa King
06-03-2015, 11:06 PM
I highlighted and underlined it for you .... the foreshore (highwater line) may be public But the dock Not so much . I was just correcting your incorrect advise :p

bullshit.
any dock in public water is a public dock.

Drillbit
06-03-2015, 11:15 PM
While most property owners don't own the beach (if they did, their property pegs would be out under water) and only to the highwater mark, some places may pay to have foreshore rights. Usually resorts as it isn't worth a normal citizen to pay for.

I not a dock expert and the only ones I have experience with are basically public use as they are just put out in the lake. I'm sure there is a lake or 2 in BC where people have to pay and get a permit to put a dock in the lake in front of their property. If this isn't the case, it will be soon.

As far a Kokanee from the shore, I've never had luck. Only trolling or ice-fishing.

Sofa King
06-03-2015, 11:44 PM
any dock put into a lake or river has to apply for permission and permit.
there are situations where they can get "privatizations" as well, but those are rare.
but lots of docks are done illegally and just built.
I helped someone put one in eons ago, pretty sure he never asked for any permission.
and I did a bunch of work on a dock at a mansion on westside road, which was so extravagant, it's ridiculous. three house structures on the multitude of dock structures. which probably isn't legal either, because I think only one dock per resident property is allowed.

we caught kokanee from the docks out at la casa.
kokanee, squawfish, and rainbow all on the same lure from the same spot.

FourOhs
06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys, I think we'll take Grandma and Grand-père up to Echo Lake for a day-trip this weekend. I stocked up on small pink and "chartreuse" lures yesterday at Surplus Herby's. (Truth be told, I don't care if we catch anything. A bad day at a lake is better than sitting at home doing yard work in 30C+ heat.)

coach
06-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Try using shrimp or krill under a float.

Oh, and ignore duallie, his mission in life is to derail every thread on HBC. Sofa king annoying.. :roll:

FourOhs
06-04-2015, 09:35 AM
My little guy's more interested in spin-casting than float-fishing, I think because casting is more "active". :) And he's good for it even though he's only 5. He even wears my fishing glasses so he can see into the water. The only thing I have to get him to change is getting him to turn the rod 90-degrees, instead of at the line as he's reeling in, so he'll be able to feel strikes.

http://i.imgur.com/6JFKKPy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oxhttmK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u8iinvs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Z0o7BTU.jpg

GoatGuy
06-04-2015, 10:06 AM
If you live in that area and have a truck you can drive up to Oyama lake - from what I recall the shore fishing is very good.

FourOhs
06-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Since I can't help being pedantic, I'll point out that Echo Lake is actually in 8-23, not 8-22, but it's still within the area I was mentally asking about so I appreciate the recommendation just as much. I asked originally about 8-22 since I (mistakenly) thought the MU was much wider (E-W) than it is.

Drillbit
06-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Since I can't help being pedantic, I'll point out that Echo Lake is actually in 8-23, not 8-22, but it's still within the area I was mentally asking about so I appreciate the recommendation just as much. I asked originally about 8-22 since I (mistakenly) thought the MU was much wider (E-W) than it is.

Honest question. Does it matter what zone the lake is in?

Dannybuoy
06-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys, I think we'll take Grandma and Grand-père up to Echo Lake for a day-trip this weekend. I stocked up on small pink and "chartreuse" lures yesterday at Surplus Herby's. (Truth be told, I don't care if we catch anything. A bad day at a lake is better than sitting at home doing yard work in 30C+ heat.)

There are a couple of pull-offs nearer the south (Lumby) end of the lake that are quite productive this time of year if the owners of the campground don't let you use the dock . They charge to launch a boat .... or there is a nice spot at the far end if I recall .

FourOhs
06-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Honest question. Does it matter what zone the lake is in?I don't think so, which is why I qualified my comment as pedantic. ;)