PDA

View Full Version : prop change

Sofa King
06-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I changed my prop this evening.
bought a new one last year, but it doesn't quite go down to the low speeds I was getting with the old one.
just a wee bit too fast for my liking for trolling.

and I am finally getting away this week for some fishing.
only been trying to go since late april.
plan was to leave this morning, but the weather of course changed, so waiting 2 more days for the current system to pass through and I'm off.

so, I changed back to my old prop.
now, basically one just tightens the nut down so that the cotter pin can get through the hole, amirite?
there's really no torque lb weight to tighten to?
I tightened until the cotter pin was able to make it through, and that seemed pretty darn tight already anyway.

nature girl
06-02-2015, 07:25 PM
For trolling go buy yourself a electric motor. That is what we did this year and it was so nice and quit on the lake.

albravo2
06-02-2015, 07:30 PM
now, basically one just tightens the nut down so that the cotter pin can get through the hole, amirite?
I tightened until the cotter pin was able to make it through, and that seemed pretty darn tight already anyway.

Not 100% sure if you are right or not, but that is the way I've always done mine and I've never had a problem.

Ozone
06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
You are correct.

Sofa King
06-02-2015, 08:00 PM
For trolling go buy yourself a electric motor. That is what we did this year and it was so nice and quit on the lake.

I actually have one, but have never even used it yet.
there's no room on my boat's transom to mount it.
I've been thinking about trying to rig up a bow mount for it actually.
but I'm also talking fishing in shuswap lake, so an electric wouldn't really cut it.

bankshot
06-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Drag a small sea anchor or a bucket to slow things down.

Sunzuki
06-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Sell your trailer and buy a putt putt.

Your electric won't sit on the side of the boat?

Sofa King
06-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Sell your trailer and buy a putt putt.

Your electric won't sit on the side of the boat?

it's a RIB.
ain't nothing attaching to the side.

I also have a zodiac.
the electric will work well on it.
I think there's room on it's transom for my 20 hp and the electric.

Sunzuki
06-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Back to the prop.
There should be a shoulder and spacer on the prop shaft so
snugging it up a wee bit shouldn't hurt.
If it's loose, it will rattle a wee bit and over time cause other problems?
Make sure you lube the splines so in 10 years it will come off again.
I have a couple Costco laundry detergent buckets in my 14' boat.
Toss a fist sized boulder in each so they don't blow out on the highway.
Then fill them with water once I'm on the water.
Keeps the bow down, especially when it's windy out. I find it helps
the wind from pushing me around.

Buddies go to shore and load boulders.............ah-ha........ :D

Gone_Fishin_
06-03-2015, 07:45 AM
5 gallon bucket with a 3" hold cut in the bottom dead center. attach a V coming off bucket to single line attach to transom. toss is out back and use as a drift sock, or can buy a drift sock for about 50$. But bucket works just the same, we use 5 gallons in the fraser when sturgeon fishing to keep the boat from swinging.

This is how i troll with my 9.9 works great, or i go in reverse which also slows me down that little bit i need.

Edzzed
06-03-2015, 02:15 PM
5 gallon bucket with a 3" hold cut in the bottom dead center. attach a V coming off bucket to single line attach to transom. toss is out back and use as a drift sock, or can buy a drift sock for about 50$. But bucket works just the same, we use 5 gallons in the fraser when sturgeon fishing to keep the boat from swinging.

This is how i troll with my 9.9 works great, or i go in reverse which also slows me down that little bit i need.I was just going to suggest the same thing. I use two buckets so it keeps things level as in not having to turn the engine to compensate for the extra drag. Both buckets are the same size so fit one in the other when not in the water. I also have a 3rd same size bucket I use as a porta potty as I don't like the idea of slipping or falling in the water. I have an unlimited supply of free food grade buckets of varying sizes. I laugh every time I see someone walk out of home depot with an empty bucket. I see it as paying for a flashy paint job on what is essentially a free bucket.

BromBones
06-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Little bit of grease on the splines (especially if your ever in salt). Tighten until 'snug', and tighten until the next notch lines up for the cotter pin.

I always lift the motor and check after a couple hours running. Loose prop can wear shit out in a hurry.