PDA

View Full Version : Snow, Snow, Snow

BearSniper
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Well I took a little drive today up past Hope to do a little target shooting, plinking, and bear scouting.

Tried the Sumallo FSR and its still all snowed under. Talked to a fella who was preparing to do contract work for a logging outfit and he said the snowmobilers are still having a blast up that road, and that they can't get trucks in to do prep work. :frown: And thats only at the 2300 foot to 2900 foot level.

I guess its just too early and the weather has been cool which affects snowmelt. All the nearby peaks had fresh snow on them.

Guess I'll have to put the guns away for a few more weeks.:frown:

Mini_Me
04-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Well I'm glad to say I can finnaly see my front lawn.

scoot
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Been snowing here in PG for the last few hours.

BANG!
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Well I took a little drive today up past Hope to do a little target shooting, plinking, and bear scouting.....

I guess its just too early and the weather has been cool which affects snowmelt. All the nearby peaks had fresh snow on them.

Guess I'll have to put the guns away for a few more weeks.:frown:

same thing for me at the weekend - I took a drive up the Elaho valley - had a 'close encounter' with a CO but didn't see any bears. Plenty of snow and fresh deer sign - but I think the bears are still sleeping. The CO did mention there were a couple of G-bears wandering around the valley up there (one he said was 900 pounds).

A few more weeks will see the snow melt and the grass thicken then the blackies will all come out for a peek. I don't think I'd bother going out again for a month.

lapadat
04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Bearsniper,

I ran across some fresh bear tracks today while at work. They were next to the Dewdney Slough (east of mission) The grass is well over 12 inches tall in the area.....so I don't think its too early to be out, just stay low.

Bang,

How's this for a couple Elaho Grizzlies from last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_480.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2787&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=847)

BANG!
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Bang,

How's this for a couple Elaho Grizzlies from last year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_480.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2787&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=847)[/quote]

nice shot BearSniper - were they actively fishing there? I wouldn't think the salmon were thick enough there to hold a bear's attention.

I'll say it again, very nice shot!

lapadat
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Bang,

I took the pic. It was in the peak of mating season and even if there were salmon in that river at that time, I think they had something more pressing on thier minds.

Lap

BearSniper
04-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks Lapadat:o

Good advice, maybe I was a bit too high.

Another HBC member had some good success up the Sumallo road 2 years ago with a medium sized Blackie in late April so I guess thats why I thought of going up there.

I kind of wanted to try a different area other than the north side of the Fraser River, but you're right, there are lots over that way.

Nice pics of the Grizzly -Bang. I wonder if that was fall or spring ?:roll:

lapadat
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I took the pic on June 12/06.

BearSniper
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
June 12 /06 eh.

Wow. I think the Elaho is an off shoot of the Squamish River ? Have I got it right ?

It just goes to show you, theres a darn sight more grizzlies around than we're being led to believe, or for that matter, harvest.:-|

A fella at work (avid hunter) has always maintained he sees Grizzly sign right off the Coke north and east of the toll booth in the upper coldwater river valley.

Theres got to be lots around

LeverActionJunkie
04-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I believe there is quite a few also, un educated statement, but I've heard of quite a few encounters.

lapadat
04-16-2007, 09:55 PM
The Elaho flows into the Squamish River. The bears in the pic were 1 1/2 hours from downtown Vancouver......something most vancouverites don't realize.