PDA

View Full Version : Crows!!!!!

Beaves84
06-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Anyone been "target practicing" lately.

Buddy and I went out Saturday and had a blast. We ended up getting 18 or so, we lost half to the woods. Not like I was going looking for them.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/80montecarlo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150530_154752-1.jpg (http://s236.photobucket.com/user/80montecarlo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150530_154752-1.jpg.html)

Drillbit
06-01-2015, 07:48 PM
That's awesome!!

Shotguns?

I love spring crow/raven hunting, it's lots of action and pretty rewarding being successful as they are usually pretty smart. To get 18 or so, you must have a good spot or are tricking them pretty good.

Congrats!!

Oh ya, be ready for the "eat what you kill guys", I'll pay the shipping if any of them want the meat! lol

bigredchev
06-01-2015, 07:49 PM
isnt it private lland only? either way id love to slay the buggers swarming my yard recently

Fella
06-01-2015, 08:00 PM
isnt it private lland only? either way id love to slay the buggers swarming my yard recently
you can hunt them anywhere if you have a hunting license, if you do not have a license it's your own private property

Beaves84
06-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Buddy has a nice piece of property with a woodline along a creek, works great..

Cant wait to drop some more on Saturday evening, there's a nice night flight headed to roost.

Jagermeister
06-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Did you leave their carcasses in the vicinity? 'cause if you did they have found a new route to the roost.
Crows are capable of facial recognition so any survivors will lead the murder in a wide berth of you now.

Farmer
06-01-2015, 10:02 PM
They are still whole. My son has had fun using the 243 to remove them from the young corn fields. 55 grain ballistic tips or 58 gr Vmaxs at 200 yards or greater is his challenge. They can blow up nicely. We had one splash zone that covered 20 feet and consisted of 4 pieces of crow. Around here the coyotes or ravens will remove the remains by the next day. Have fun.

Beaves84
06-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Throw them in the bush and let the mangy dogs eat them..

The keys is no to let any survive, tat way they can't recognize you. I think only 5 or 6 made it past us.

The Dawg
06-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Foxpro on crow fight works awesome :)

Beaves84
06-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Foxpro on crow fight works awesome :)

I need to get me one of those but a cheap one..

Drillbit
06-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Yep, the "crow fight" on a fox pro work good, but they learn fast.

A roost flight path is $$$!

For me the calving pens are the best, they can't resist them.

Drillbit
06-01-2015, 11:03 PM

ravens are private land and there is a spring season. reg 5 anyways

crows, you can fill yer boots!

FourOhs
06-01-2015, 11:14 PM
you can hunt them anywhere if you have a hunting license, if you do not have a license it's your own private propertyTwo noob questions:

1) This "hunt anywhere" business is still limited by any applicable laws at all three levels of government, yes? Specifically thinking about noise bylaws, shooting within City limits, things of that nature.
2) If I recall, the Schedule C clause for crows does not include ravens. Am I misremebering that? *goes to look up Sched C again*

Edit: Sched C includes "(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows, except Corvus corax - common raven"

Ferenc
06-02-2015, 03:17 AM
Hand held calling for them or just waiting for the fly by?

Moose63
06-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Well done! The rats of the sky....

Moose63
06-02-2015, 08:58 AM
For the uneducated, how does a crow get attacted to a calving pen? Is it the sound of calving?

Jagermeister
06-02-2015, 09:29 AM
For the uneducated, how does a crow get attacted to a calving pen? Is it the sound of calving?
Smell and sight of the placenta.

Downwind
06-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Ravens are private land only, crows you can have at anywhere

FourOhs
06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Ravens are private land only, crows you can have at anywhere
You do need a hunting licence to hunt the following Schedule "C" wildlife UNLESS you are hunting them on your property or they are damaging your property:
(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows, except Corvus corax - common raven

Doesn't that mean no ravens? All species of Corvus except Corvus corax. Someone tell me I'm wrong, but it seems pretty straightforward. (No, really, I'm willing to be wrong, but I'm not sure how I'm misreading that if I am.)

snakeplain
06-02-2015, 10:05 AM
look out, the nanny state boys are showing, its illegal, why do they like calves, there are by-laws, only private land and on and on, don't tell this people how you enjoy the hunt and at the same time save thousands of baby song birds and the like, get rid of the sky rats, good luck!!

FourOhs
06-02-2015, 10:24 AM
look out, the nanny state boys are showing, its illegal, why do they like calves, there are by-laws, only private land and on and on, don't tell this people how you enjoy the hunt and at the same time save thousands of baby song birds and the like, get rid of the sky rats, good luck!!Hey skaneplain, before you start throwing names around, re-read my post. I didn't do anything except ask for clarification of the reg. If I was going to shame someone for shooting crows it would have been on page 1. If you don't have an answer to my question then don't waste your time replying to my post. I'm not going to shoot crows, but I support your right to.

Sofa King
06-02-2015, 10:35 AM
look out, the nanny state boys are showing, its illegal, why do they like calves, there are by-laws, only private land and on and on, don't tell this people how you enjoy the hunt and at the same time save thousands of baby song birds and the like, get rid of the sky rats, good luck!!

oh calm down.
he asked a legitimate question, one any new hunter would/should have.
i notice you never attempted to even help with the answer, just going straight to attacking and name-calling.
your response is the type that keeps people from the site.

and, even if the person were an anti, are you incapable of countering with intelligent facts and supporting our side?
again, name-calling and attacks help in no way.

itsy bitsy xj
06-02-2015, 11:31 AM
,name-calling and attacks help in no way.

Oh yes it does!

Downwind
06-02-2015, 11:55 AM
You do need a hunting licence to hunt the following Schedule "C" wildlife UNLESS you are hunting them on your property or they are damaging your property:
(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows, except Corvus corax - common raven

Doesn't that mean no ravens? All species of Corvus except Corvus corax. Someone tell me I'm wrong, but it seems pretty straightforward. (No, really, I'm willing to be wrong, but I'm not sure how I'm misreading that if I am.)

Except on private property, yes.

Downwind
06-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Except on private property, yes.

Sorry certain areas on private land. Saltspring Island on private property for example you can hunt ravens.

Beaves84
06-02-2015, 09:21 PM
I only have a wooden call. Seems to work if you get the calls correct, kinda like duck hunting... strange....