PDA

View Full Version : Sifto's crystal plus water softener salts for deer and elk?

6point
05-30-2015, 03:24 PM
just wondering if sifto's "crystal plus" water softener salts with "resin clean" are safe to put out for the deer and elk? I have heard some salts are not 100% safe for the animals and im wondering about this stuff. it says on the bag "100% NATURAL" but on the back of the bag it says keep out of reach of children and animals and also has directions for "incase of digestion"

Caribou_lou
05-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Im not sure if that is safe. I usually put out whatever farmers put out for their cattle. It's not expensive. .

RambleOn
05-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Use the livestock salt from the local feed store. Cheap and comes in 20kg bags.

Sitkaspruce
05-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Their SDS sheet says they are Ok. I have used them with no noticeable problems, the same elk/deer and moose have shown up for the past 3 years.

I was told that anything 99.8% and higher in purity is OK.

Cheers

SS

Wentrot
05-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Its fine....

Sofa King
05-30-2015, 07:38 PM
pretty sure the salt will be less harmful to them than the bullet you have with their name on it.

Pioneerman
05-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Yes it is fine and brings them in for sure, they keep coming long after scraping the ground looking for more. WE have seen the elk and deer crunching the salt in the videos

Cyrus
05-30-2015, 09:16 PM
find the stuff does not work as good as a salt lick. deer won't touch it where I am..

moosecamp
05-30-2015, 09:27 PM
find the stuff does not work as good as a salt lick. deer won't touch it where I am..

I find the other way round here, they won't touch the lick and go right for the water softener salt. Both deer and elk.

Sitkaspruce
05-30-2015, 09:52 PM
I find the other way round here, they won't touch the lick and go right for the water softener salt. Both deer and elk.

Ditto, they love the WS salt and kind of smell the blocks. A buddy smashes his blocks up and buries them, then adds WS salt on top, the critters have now dug a hole 4x6' x 10+" deep...sp the blocks work, but just not as good as the WS stuff.

Add a little fruit flavoured unsweetened koolaid (I find Grape works well) to your salt to add some smell. Seems to draw them in faster.

Cheers

SS

Wrayzer
05-31-2015, 06:14 AM
The nice thing with the Water softners is as it rains/snows it will dissolve into the ground creating a "natural" lick for years after.

Also they can be more undetectable compared to a Blue Cobalt block.

hunter1947
05-31-2015, 08:02 AM
I have used the Windsor water softening salt from CT 50 pound bags for 499 over the last 4 years I get the same animals on my trail cams coming back year after year look at my thread on trail cams 2015 shows you that what happens when the salt penetrates into the soil..

I say it is ok to put out this salt if humans can take it into there systems then I would assure you that the animals would not get sick and die over taking this salt,,,I find that the windsor salt works better then the block salt just my opinion reason being is the the loose salt penetrates into the soil better then the block salt,,the block salt will last longer then the loose salt ....

6point
05-31-2015, 02:40 PM
thanks! ill look into the Windsor salt!

Sofa King
07-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Ditto, they love the WS salt and kind of smell the blocks. A buddy smashes his blocks up and buries them, then adds WS salt on top, the critters have now dug a hole 4x6' x 10+" deep...sp the blocks work, but just not as good as the WS stuff.

Add a little fruit flavoured unsweetened koolaid (I find Grape works well) to your salt to add some smell. Seems to draw them in faster.

Cheers

SS

would that maybe be more of a draw for bears also?

Clint_S
07-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Why wouldn't you just use a trace mineral block. It not only helps you it helps the animals.

Sofa King
07-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I went out a week ago and set up my cam, and laid out four smaller chunks from a salt block as well as a couple little piles of deer oats.
the deer came through the area, as I knew that would, usually within minutes of 11pm.
funny thing is though, they completely ignored everything I put out.
what they did do though was stomp and dig the area a bit, but didn't touch the oats and not even a lick on a block.

07-09-2015, 02:15 PM
I would buy a bag of livestock mineral salt.

ruger#1
07-09-2015, 02:21 PM
I went out a week ago and set up my cam, and laid out four smaller chunks from a salt block as well as a couple little piles of deer oats.
the deer came through the area, as I knew that would, usually within minutes of 11pm.
funny thing is though, they completely ignored everything I put out.
what they did do though was stomp and dig the area a bit, but didn't touch the oats and not even a lick on a block. Use COB, but beware. Bears love it also.

Sofa King
07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Use COB, but beware. Bears love it also.

that is definitely the downfall to putting out any attractant.
it will likely draw in pretty much everything in the area.
bears and tcams don't mix as well.
I'd prefer to not attract any bruins, as my cam will have a solar panel running to it and an antenna booster as well.
I'm guessing the extra wires running to and fro would not hold up well to inquisitive claws.