PDA

View Full Version : CORE manual PDF

FourOhs
05-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Hi all,

I've got a hardcopy of the 2014 CORE manual, but now that my wife and I are both theoretically going to take the class in just over two weeks (and disregarding that, because I also dislike hauling this tome around; and disregarding that, because we're well into the 21st century now) I've been looking for a PDF version of the manual. I've looked at the BCWF site and it looks like I can purchase the physical book but I don't see a PDF option. Have I overlooked such a thing? Does anyone have a PDF I could, well, borrow, if that wouldn't be inappropriate? My first choice was to go to the BCWF site to see if I could buy the PDF, in addition to the physical book I already have, but that didn't appear to be an option.

Does anyone have the CORE manual (2013, 2014 editions, hopefully?) as a PDF? My first choice is to pay the BCWF for it, but that didn't pan out. (If someone can point me in that direction, I'd be happy to give them my dollars.)

Cheers,
~Jeff

albravo2
05-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Jeff,

You seem to have forgotten that hunting is still a turn of the century (not this century, the last one) kind of sport. Expect great memories and epic adventures. Don't expect efficiency.

A .pdf would be brilliant. Like on-line licensing or an automated LEH system.

One day, for sure. Just not today.

Good luck on your CORE. Great adventures await!

Gateholio
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm not aware of any PDF version. The manual is not really expensive, especially in the grand scheme of hunting costs, and it's a great reference tool./.

FourOhs
05-27-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm not aware of any PDF version. The manual is not really expensive, especially in the grand scheme of hunting costs, and it's a great reference tool./.
I definitely agree. I would even pay the full price for a PDF (although, I'd expect it to be less by half, in actuality.) It's not the price to which I object; it's that, no matter how hard I try, I can't stuff this giant manual into my Kindle. It's one thing when I fall asleep reading at night and drop my Kindle on my face. It's another thing entirely when I drop that CORE manual on my face. :-D

I'm not going to post the link here, but when I Google "bcwf core manual pdf" the first link is directly to an old version of the CORE manual, so it has been made available as a PDF at some point, perhaps unofficially. I tried searching for year numbers in that PDF and the latest year that appears in the entire thing is "2003". So, it seems that as far back as 12 years ago the manual was made available as a PDF. Maybe that PDF is simply the version that was sent to a printer, I don't know.

Anyway, back to my bludgeon... I mean, manual.

Whonnock Boy
05-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Doesn't really help you but, maybe for someone else looking at this thread. http://www.huntercourse.com/canada/britishcolumbia/

LupieHunter
05-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Check your local public library or university databases if you have access to the uni ones. You'll be amazed what you can find in them.

boxhitch
05-28-2015, 05:44 AM
There are/were reasons not every document is available on the Net.
Terms like intellectual property and copyright come to mind.
Maybe those don't mean so much anymore when everyone has a scanner or camera and apps.

Ed George
05-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Call Kerry at the BCWF office. I know that there is a CD that was signed off on and was to be copied for sale. Not certain where it is at now.

Hunting for Health not Heads

FourOhs
05-28-2015, 08:05 AM
There are/were reasons not every document is available on the Net.
Terms like intellectual property and copyright come to mind.That occurred to me as well, although PDFs have supported DRM for a long time now.

Call Kerry at the BCWF office. I know that there is a CD that was signed off on and was to be copied for sale. Not certain where it is at now.That sounds almost perfect. Thanks, jack'. I'll give her a call and update this with whatever I find, in case anyone else finds this thread.

jedimaster
05-28-2015, 01:30 PM
IMO the info within the core manual should be out there as accessible as possible.

FourOhs
05-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Agreed. I'm no printer, but I imagine most of the $18 goes into recouping the editing, printing and binding costs. It's not a cheap book.

EDIT: If a mod sees fit to move this to the "British Columbia Wildife Federation" forum that would be fine with me. I just realized that is a more appropriate forum for this thread.

Ed George
05-28-2015, 03:02 PM
I spoke with Kerry today and there is a dvd available and she was going to confirm the selling price.

​Hunting for Health not Heads

FourOhs
05-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Funny, I did the same. I was just waiting to report back after she gets back in touch. Apparently, the DVD was originally made available for instructors.

bankshot
05-28-2015, 03:06 PM
http://www.bcoutdoorsafety.com/Manuals/CORE_Manual.pdf

http://themobilebay.org/torrent/6521826/Canada_Firearms_Manuals_and_C.O.R.E_Manual (http://themobilebay.org/torrent/6521826/Canada_Firearms_Manuals_and_C.O.R.E_Manual)

caddisguy
05-28-2015, 03:09 PM
A quick google search and I found it... one was a website on "BC Outdoor Safety" ... whether or not they are allowed to be distributing it, I'm not sure... but it is what it is

FourOhs
05-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Yep, I started with Google, guys, back on page 1 I think. That link is for a CORE manual that is as much as 12 years old. There is no reference to a year in there more recent than "2003". If someone collects old CORE manuals they might be able to ID it from the cover picture.

Zedbra
05-30-2015, 09:36 AM
The info in that old manual will suffice for taking your test. I did my CORE with my PAL and I didn't even open the CORE book until the day before the exam - even then I maybe read an hour's worth. If you take a class, pay attention to what the instructor says and you should pass with no problems.

mike-juliet
05-30-2015, 04:47 PM
A quick google search and I found it... one was a website on "BC Outdoor Safety" ... whether or not they are allowed to be distributing it, I'm not sure... but it is what it is

CORE Examiners are not supposed to be distributing the pdf version of the manual..