PDA

View Full Version : After the Kill: Sense of the Moment

604ksmith
05-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was just talking with a non-hunter (but pro-hunter) friend about what goes through my head immediately after the shot, and when I first approach an animal I have just taken.

I responded with that immediately before and after the shot, all distractions seem to fade away and I'm in some sort of hyper-focused "zone." I know my adrenaline is pumping, but I'm calm. My hearing seems more acute, my vision a bit crisper, and my movements are more purposeful. No matter how much effort I put into any other aspect of my life, I'm just not as efficient or in-tune with myself as I am while hunting. I feel more aware about every aspect of myself and my surroundings. This state continues after the shot until I see the animal go down.

As I approach an animal, this hyper-focused state is replaced with a reserved sense of accomplishment. I don't have a sense of remorse, nor do I have a sense of jubilation. I've taken a life. Something very serious, but not necessarily somber. I know that regardless of modern societal views, or our technological advancements, I have the genetics to hunt and I've just utilized them. Again, that's a feeling I get in no other aspect of my life, and it feels great. I then spend a few remaining moments beside the animal appreciating everything it is, and everything it means to me.

That's what goes through my head after the kill, how about anyone else?

Daybreak
05-27-2015, 08:54 PM
First one about 28 years ago was initially remorse. Getting it out of the ravine transformed it to well earned pride and satisfaction. Nowadays it is respect, gratitude, accomplishment and pride.

two-feet
05-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Think about how many times in human, and pre-human history this scene has happened. The band of bipedal apes approaches the downed animal with feelings of elation, respect and accomplishment. The smiles and laughs as the animal is cut into pieces for transportation. The joy of providing for you family. Nothing in the world feels more natural for me than to kill my own meat, I guess because it has been happening for a million years.

604ksmith
05-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Think about how many times in human, and pre-human history this scene has happened. The band of bipedal apes approaches the downed animal with feelings of elation, respect and accomplishment. The smiles and laughs as the animal is cut into pieces for transportation. The joy of providing for you family. Nothing in the world feels more natural for me than to kill my own meat, I guess because it has been happening for a million years.

Well said!

604ksmith
05-27-2015, 09:21 PM
First one about 28 years ago was initially remorse. Getting it out of the ravine transformed it to well earned pride and satisfaction. Nowadays it is respect, gratitude, accomplishment and pride.

It's always good to work for your meat. Ravines are the worst though!

Gateholio
05-27-2015, 09:26 PM
It's definitely changed over time.

My first deer I killed with a long bow when I was 15. I was alone, with no mentors other than the dozen or so hunting books I had digested from the local library. I knew I was supposed to stay calm, watch where the deer went, not chase it, let it lie down and die, and follow the blood trail. I think most of those older books said "TIme to sit down and pour a coffee from your thermos and have a smoke" :)

I had no coffee or tobacco, so I sat down, drank water, ate some beef jerky I had made in our new dehydrator and prepared to follow the blood trail for hours if need be.

Finally, I knocked another arrow, and set out. I wanted to be sure I was ready for a "finishing shot" if one was required. Look! Blood!! Follow it!! Got about 30 yards into the bush and there was my first deer, a small fork.

Next feeling was remorse and joy mixed up. No real words to describe it I guess. Felt super excited and happy but oh so sad that I had killed this poor animal. Not a feeling I had ever felt with killing fish or crabs, for sure.

Then I was a bit apprehensive, as I had read about cleaning a deer and it was similar to a fish, but different. I got it done. Eating it was just pure joy.

Didn't "hunt" for many years later, after I spent lots of time fishing but mostly building my house and developing my property. I was about 26 or 27 when I figured the house could wait and I could go hunting again.

Opening day I hiked long and far with a 20 gauge shotgun, looking for a grouse. I had about given up, and was walking a steep hill back to my truck at last light when a grouse flushed. I swung and shot and he dropped. I ran up to him as he did a few wing flaps and then I picked him up. I will never forget that day or that moment.

As I held that still warm grouse in my hand, I thought to myself "I am a hunter"

hardnocks
05-27-2015, 09:33 PM
most times I say to myself....you dumba$$ why did you shoot it so far from the truck.

HarryToolips
05-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Its one hell of a feeling, I try to refrain from yelling for joy until I've poked it in the eye to make sure it's dead..then I thank God and thank the animal then get to work..

leadpillproductions
05-27-2015, 09:48 PM
I remember my first big whitetail , I put weeks into this deer . Shot him from a treestand -32 ,after trying not to fall out of the tree followed the blood trail for no more than 30 yards . Jumped around screamin hootin and hollering like a loonatick . One of the best lone hunting days ive had.

Fella
05-27-2015, 09:49 PM
First animal I killed was a duck that someone else winged and it was my job to dispatch it. I remember walking up to it in the tall grass and it just sitting still as if resigned to its fate. I felt pity on him but at the same time I knew what had to be done.

When I shot my first bear I felt a mixture of pride and "oh crap that's a big bear, it's getting dark and this is my first time field dressing something".

Big Lew
05-27-2015, 10:06 PM
As I've mentioned before, I grew up on a small farm with a variety of animals
and birds. There was a large pheasant-turkey-slaughter house farm next door.
I saw my first chickens dispatched when I was 5-6, and as I grew older I was
often the dispatcher, moving up to the larger animals, including cattle and pets
when I was in my teens. Consequently, I've never felt a great deal of remorse
when killing anything, including people's pets and my own dogs when it was necessary.
It's the same when hunting, although I do get excited and have been known to hold
my arms up high and thank Mother Nature for allowing me to successfully kill one
of her children.

Bugle M In
05-27-2015, 10:17 PM
If it was a clean kill, meaning it dropped instantly, I feel proud that is quick and clean.
But if it wasn't clean, I always feel a sense of remorse.
And no, if it is still kickin in front of me, but I know it will die, I don't just turn around and look somewhere else and wait for it to die...
I will promptly go up to it, and put one between the ears...
So, it's a mix of emotions for me.
Once it's over, I just move on to the gutting...
At point, there is no more sense of remorse, as at this point, I know why I pulled the trigger...
And yes, I am proud of what I accomplished at that point.
And...proud of the people I was able to share the experience with....
Many a creatures I have taken, would have never of happened without them!!!

RadHimself
05-27-2015, 10:19 PM
my grand-dad broke me in hard and fast.... i killed my first buck at approx 50yrds with an old husq'y .270 my other grandfather had past down to me....

i'll never forget what happened next... the words "now this is how you dont do it" as my papa poked the knife into the gutsack while making the slit.... gagged almost puking from the smell of bile and half digested grass... "i cant finsh it... you gotta do it"... 16yrs old elbows deep in a mule deer. i got'r done. now everytime i got another animal down it's hard not to look up and wonder if he's watchn me

604ksmith
05-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Great posts from everyone! Thanks for sharing guys!

604ksmith
05-27-2015, 10:20 PM
It's definitely changed over time.

As I held that still warm grouse in my hand, I thought to myself "I am a hunter"

Awesome write up Gatehouse! Thanks for sharing.

Sofa King
05-28-2015, 01:01 AM
bang.......YES!..........crack a beer if one is nearby.
I have been known to thank the deer/mother nature/or something for my harvest.
I don't get mushy or anything, just respects I guess.

hunter1947
05-28-2015, 05:27 AM
I myself thank the good Lord above for giving me this animal to me to eat..

Gone_Fishin_
05-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Shot a squirrel when i was a kid and broke into tears, lol. Kept thinking about poor little mom and babies waiting for dad to come home and now wont. Brought the squirrel back to camp and my dad asked me why i shot it, i cant remember the whole event but this is where i was taught you eat what you shoot. Made me skin, gut and put it on a stick to roast over the fire. I recall balling my eyes out eating this thing and a few bites in i stopped crying cuz it actually wasnt that bad... must have been about 7 or 8 years old. Never shot anything i wouldnt eat after that.

Tagged a deer a bit far back other year mid-spine, felt like complete crap while it struggled to get away without being able to move its back legs. Ran up as fast as possible and put one between its eyes. After that i hesitated on 3 different bucks because i feared of missing or wounding them and didnt want to see another animal struggle for its life. Took a bit to get over that feeling, spent some more time target shooting to get my confidence back.

Arrowed my first deer last year, twin sister and mom (private property) took off 50 yards. Buck jumped 10 feet and dropped on the spot, fastest and cleanest kill possible lasted 15 seconds. Doe/mom and twin/sis stopped watched him drop and walked back over to see what happened, i felt so bad and almost teared up until they walked 30 feet over and started grazing again without hesitation. I actually had to clap and walk at them to make them leave while i started dressing my buck.

Always thank mother nature and the animal when first approached, I feel bad, not out of remorse but out of respect for the animal that gave its life for me, as soon as the dressing starts im completely past that. Then its smiles and feeling of accomplishment.

A non-hunter asked me what i feel after i shoot an animal - I said "recoil"

wideopenthrottle
05-28-2015, 08:40 AM
started shooting at things when I was about 8 with the ole daisy bb gun...the difficult challenge of hitting birds with it was quickly replaced by remorse when finally having a successful "hunt"...having helped clean fish and ducks previously, there was less of a gross factor but I did feel sadness...shortly thereafter I created a mental list of acceptable birds to shoot...no robins, whisky jacks, swallows or blue jays ..basicly no "pretty" birds...just the smaller ones that seemed plentiful...by the time I was 10 I had stopped shooting anything that I wasn't going to eat (I also got my first shotgun-a single shot break open 16 gauge)...in the early days, I still remember how accomplished I felt for being able to outsmart the wily grouse...heheheheh

ACE
05-28-2015, 09:13 AM
As I've aged, the moment has changed ......
Pride and ego are not in the equation anymore ..... remorse that I've taken the only thing that was important to that animal, and thankfulness that the animal will feed family and friends.
Seldom take photo's anymore.

Just a note: Many photo's of the downed animal here, show the animal with the rifle/weapon draped in the horns/lying on the body. Happy hunter(s) high-fiving each other with their Cabela's/Dodge Power/Whatever hat on ......
After you've taken those photo's, get your buddy to take a few more photo's of you with your hat removed as a old school sign of respect, and weapons, gut bags, packs, quads, etc. out of the frame. You may be surprised at how nice those photo's can be.

Not trying to start anything here ...... this is only a suggestion.
Thanks

brian
05-28-2015, 09:20 AM
First deer I killed I thought nothing and felt nothing while shooting. I went into another zone from the moment of seeing the target until taking the shot. It was like I just an observer of the moment, everything else was very clear, focused, and automatic. Afterwards I felt a compassionate sadness for the deer and pride that I could truly provide for my family.

05-28-2015, 09:32 AM
When I take an animal cleanly, I usually feel really happy. I'm proud to provide healthy, ethical meat for my family. Poor shots, or the very few cases where I've lost an animal, I feel absolutely terrible.

My intention is to always kill quickly - I never want an animal to suffer.

Like others have said, the deep satisfaction that comes from a successful hunt is programmed into our DNA. We have been hunters far longer than any other occupation. That said, as hunters, we have a sacred responsibility to provide exemplary stewardship, compassion and respect towards the animals we hunt and the lands upon which they live.

brian
05-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Tagged a deer a bit far back other year mid-spine, felt like complete crap while it struggled to get away without being able to move its back legs. Ran up as fast as possible and put one between its eyes. After that i hesitated on 3 different bucks because i feared of missing or wounding them and didnt want to see another animal struggle for its life. Took a bit to get over that feeling, spent some more time target shooting to get my confidence back.

Two years ago I missed what should have been an easy shot with buckshot. At least I really hope I missed, with buckshot it is impossible to to know for sure. But there was no reaction from the deer and no blood sign. Turns out my sights were off causing me to shoot way high. So I corrected the problem but this last year I had a similar setup on a deer. I was in an awkward position chest deep in salal half balanced on a log when the opportunity for a shot came. Owing to the ungainly situation and my complete mental lapse of properly setting my body up for making a shot, the sight picture did not look great. It was doable and stayed in the kill zone, but not great. Suddenly doubt from last years miss flooded me. I flicked my safety back on and the deer walked away. In the moment I was left very puzzled as to why I did not take the shot.

604ksmith
05-28-2015, 05:44 PM
As I've aged, the moment has changed ......
Pride and ego are not in the equation anymore ..... remorse that I've taken the only thing that was important to that animal, and thankfulness that the animal will feed family and friends.
Seldom take photo's anymore.

Just a note: Many photo's of the downed animal here, show the animal with the rifle/weapon draped in the horns/lying on the body. Happy hunter(s) high-fiving each other with their Cabela's/Dodge Power/Whatever hat on ......
After you've taken those photo's, get your buddy to take a few more photo's of you with your hat removed as a old school sign of respect, and weapons, gut bags, packs, quads, etc. out of the frame. You may be surprised at how nice those photo's can be.

Not trying to start anything here ...... this is only a suggestion.
Thanks

I like your idea about the old school respectful pictures.

I too feel some sort of uneasiness when I see pictures where I don't think the animal is being fully respected. However, a single picture can't tell the whole story, and I'm sure many of those pictures are of hunters who utilize the very most out of their animal and that's whats most important.

604ksmith
05-28-2015, 05:45 PM
When I take an animal cleanly, I usually feel really happy. I'm proud to provide healthy, ethical meat for my family. Poor shots, or the very few cases where I've lost an animal, I feel absolutely terrible.

Like others have said, the deep satisfaction that comes from a successful hunt is programmed into our DNA. We have been hunters far longer than any other occupation. That said, as hunters, we have a sacred responsibility to provide exemplary stewardship, compassion and respect towards the animals we hunt and the lands upon which they live.

Well said, I agree with it all. Thanks 325.

russm
05-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Two years ago I missed what should have been an easy shot with buckshot. At least I really hope I missed, with buckshot it is impossible to to know for sure. But there was no reaction from the deer and no blood sign. Turns out my sights were off causing me to shoot way high. So I corrected the problem but this last year I had a similar setup on a deer. I was in an awkward position chest deep in salal half balanced on a log when the opportunity for a shot came. Owing to the ungainly situation and my complete mental lapse of properly setting my body up for making a shot, the sight picture did not look great. It was doable and stayed in the kill zone, but not great. Suddenly doubt from last years miss flooded me. I flicked my safety back on and the deer walked away. In the moment I was left very puzzled as to why I did not take the shot.

I had a similar situation on a whitetail doe last season, took a shot that there was no way I should've missed, I couldn't find any blood, there was pretty much no response from the deer, it walked away calmly but there was no sign of it anywhere, I wen went back the next day to look again and nothing, felt pretty bad after taking the shot initially but I figured I got excited and flinched and missed maybe, I felt better about it after the second check of nothing coming up.

FourOhs
05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
I've never hunted before. One of my biggest fears (after worry that I'll make a firearm-related mistake (ACTS&PROVE, ACTS&PROVE, ...)) is that I'll be successful once and then be done as a hunter. One of my grandfathers did that, shot his first deer, never hunted again. My other grandfather was a hunter once upon a time, but he passed years ago, and did not pass along the hunting heritage to my dad. I now have my grandpa's Lee-Enfield .303 British that he carried in Normandy. I'm going to be proud to carry that into the bush on my first trip after I get my CORE.

Reading these other stories about other seasoned hunters feeling the same kind of feelings I've been worried about makes me feel better prepared to face them when the time comes. Thank you for sharing, gentlemen.

Chango
05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Along those lines, this clip deserves a watch. Awesome footage of a tribesman's 8 hour persistence hunt of a kudu to feed his family, and his sense of the moment.

https://youtu.be/826HMLoiE_o

Ourea
05-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Another perspective........

When my group had found "the buck" I caught myself thinking "what if".
What if one of us is successful on this monarch.
What will be the feeling?

Knowing the endless hrs pounding the back country it will take...
The solo nights camped deep on ur own with a heavy pack to burden....
Day after day of not finding him despite a very dedicated and thought out approach for the pursuit.....
I knew the odds, as always, were stacked against us.

The day I killed him...I nearly didn't get up....I was simply beat....exhausted both mentally and physically....nothing left in the tank after hunting him 4 to 5 days a week. I was talking myself into sleeping in and taking today off when the alarm went off at 4am.

Long story short.....I did get up....I did get up the hill.....I did kill him.
After he was down I pulled the video camera out of my pack and turned it on before I walked the couple hundred yards to where he lay.

I wanted my emotions and mindset captured.
Never a hoot/holler or yell.

I sat in silence looking at this incredible monarch that lay before me.
I knew what I had done.

I sat beside that buck and took in the oh so familiar view.
Cut my tag and continued to sit.....my knife never touched that buck for a least a couple hrs I would guess.
I just sat and continued to reflect.

I came to the understanding that hunting is never about "the hunter".
It's about the opportunity hunting represents.
The impact it has on some.
The moment...the memory.
How it can bring family and friends together.
A bond that you cant explain to others.
How it's different for every hunter.

It's difficult to try and sum up the numerous emotions I had that day.
If I had to sum up my experience in one word, (and how I feel after a day hunting) that one word would be....

"PRIVILEDGED".

Fella
05-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Another perspective........

When my group had found "the buck" I caught myself thinking "what if".
What if one of us is successful on this monarch.
What will be the feeling?

Knowing the endless hrs pounding the back country it will take...
The solo nights camped deep on ur own with a heavy pack to burden....
Day after day of not finding him despite a very dedicated and thought out approach for the pursuit.....
I knew the odds, as always, were stacked against us.

The day I killed him...I nearly didn't get up....I was simply beat....exhausted both mentally and physically....nothing left in the tank after hunting him 4 to 5 days a week. I was talking myself into sleeping in and taking today off when the alarm went off at 4am.

Long story short.....I did get up....I did get up the hill.....I did kill him.
After he was down I pulled the video camera out of my pack and turned it on before I walked the couple hundred yards to where he lay.

I wanted my emotions and mindset captured.
Never a hoot/holler or yell.

I sat in silence looking at this incredible monarch that lay before me.
I knew what I had done.

I sat beside that buck and took in the oh so familiar view.
Cut my tag and continued to sit.....my knife never touched that buck for a least a couple hrs I would guess.
I just sat and continued to reflect.

I came to the understanding that day hunting is never about "the hunter".
It's about the opportunity hunting represents.
The impact it has on some.
The moment...the memory.
How it can bring family and friends together.
A bond that you cant explain to others.
How it's different for every hunter.

It's difficult to try and sum up the numerous emotions I had that day.
If I had to sum up my experience in one word, (and how I feel after a day hunting) that one word would be....

"PRIVILEDGED".

Good story!

shortrange
06-07-2015, 02:57 AM
Well said!

It's a primal experience. Non-hunters just don't get it.

Brambles
06-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Until I'm standing over the animal and 100% sure it's dead, I often think and expect the worst. I've had shots that I thought were perfect miss the vitals and shots that were snap and instinctive end up being textbook perfect despite the frozen picture in my minds eye.

im a strong advocate of shooting until you can't see the animal any further!. This motto has proven itself useful

with this a amount of skepticism , there is an equal amount of elation when I'm actually standing over my quarry!

my goals as a hunter often change as the season progresses. Empty space in the freezer often see's me shooting animals for meat.....I try and accomplish this with an elk, failing that, a whitetail.........and if that isn't enough then a mule deer....

Last season we didn't get an elk and the whitetail was small......we were forced to look for meat mulies......deep depression was setting in as I realized I had to hunt my favorite game animal for meat...3 days left in the season and one of my best typicals steps out at <30 yards in the timber.....and a buck I have 2 years of sheds from........

amazing feeling!!! Thought of my father guiding me from where he rests often fills my head!

Sofa King
06-07-2015, 12:47 PM
i'll never forget the story a friend told me.
he was out hunting an area, hiking back in the woods, when he heard a gunshot that didnt sound very far away.
after some time had passed, and no more gunshots, he made his way that direction, to see what someone might have gotten.
he thought he was in the rough general area where he guessed the shot came from, when he suddenly heard some screams and whoops and shrieks from just over a little hill.
he made his way to the top and looked down the other side to see the hunter, someone we both coincidentaly knew, hopping around and shrieking like a little girl in excitement of the deer he was standing over.

meesemoot
06-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Having just eaten lunch, I couldn't risk losing it reading all the drama in this thread. It's no more drama to me than picking a bucket of berries.

604ksmith
06-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Having just eaten lunch, I couldn't risk losing it reading all the drama in this thread. It's no more drama to me than picking a bucket of berries.

Is it drama, or a respect for the moment?

If I was an animal, I'd hope I was held in a little higher regard than a bucket of berries.

No offense to berries.

.264winmag
06-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Hunting for me is 95% chase and 5% kill. Once the tag is cut it's 100% grade A grub, quite enjoy the whole game care process from fur to freezer. I feel it's a big part that some hunters miss out on. Never understood guys who bring their animal (hide even on) to butcher to deal with.
Makes me sick to my stomach when animals are wounded and suffering, agree to shoot until done moving. I passed on a ton of shots after my first wounding experience. Hated it, beauty wt buck all shot up from a range we had no idea and clearly no business shooting from. Vowed to never let happen again and started to target practice a lot. I'm proud and grateful for all the animals I've taken even if the killing is not my favourite part.
For me it's the hunt and the grub. I find myself hunting less and passing up more as I get older. I'm seeing more game even with less hrs in the woods, maybe if I pass on enough animals I'll get a decent one lol.