PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Elk or Moose hunt.

Deerhunter85
05-27-2015, 10:03 AM
It's been a long time dream of mine to go on a fly in or horseback hunt for elk or moose in BC. Since I don't know anyone who has horses and hunts with them I can't really tag along. I can't afford to go on a $9,000 guided horseback hunt either. I have heard hiring a pilot to drop you off and pick you back up is much cheaper.

So my question is for those of you that have done fly in trips, is it cheaper? Did you fly in by plane or helicopter? Who did you fly with? What kind of gear do you need? Is there a good book or site you could recommend to research this kind of thing?

Any advice you fellow HBC members could give would be great. This is a dream I'd like to turn into a reality instead of just a dream.

DH85

Trekker
05-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Cant fly in on helicopter, illegal for hunting. Check out bc yukon air, ootsa air, alpine lakes air, northern rockies vacations are a few northern bc float plane charters.
There is lots of good info on this site on fly in hunting and gear just search around.

spongebob
05-27-2015, 10:44 AM
I did my first ever 'official' hunt (longer than a day ) last year for moose. We flew in from Dease lake via Ootsa Air with pilot Keith (if I remember right). Super nice guy! Was it cheap. Hell no. Was it worth it, hell yes!!!! Incredible time and journey. Already want to go again in 2016. The flight itself was a very reasonable price, but being from the island, and a rookie, I/we had a ferry to deal with plus I had to ensure I had all the right gear for anything you may come across out in 'no-where'. I did go with an experienced friend who had done this trip several times before. He recommended the 'Gone Huntin' books by Pat Ferguson. Entertaining and also lots of info and written by a guy who hunted the area. Gear. Don't scrimp. Buy good stuff, it will last a lifetime (hopefully) and may save your life. Be prepared! Bad weather rolls in, and you could be out there a few days longer than planned. Rent (and figure out BEFORE you leave) a satellite phone. Call home on pre-determined times/dates for weather updates. Plan items/things to take with your partners way before you go. Check this list lots! Personally, my day-pack had stuff in it to last a few nights alone 'just-in-case'. A system rolls in and you're stuck somewhere, you'll be glad you did.
There is a wealth of info on here from the guys who have tons of experience at this. Search and ask.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Haven't done a pile of moose hunting but have flown in 11 times.

All my trips cost under $1300 total including fuel from the southern interior. Most are well below that but we usually charter smaller/cheaper aircraft for chasing sheep.

bangbangkhan
05-27-2015, 04:11 PM
it has been a long time dream of mine as well to fly in for some sheep/goat hunting up north. I have heard a lot of good things about Ootsa air...i wish both our dreams come true!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-27-2015, 05:59 PM
I believe ootsa sold their plane.

Stresd
05-27-2015, 06:19 PM
No Sheep Tag this year so decided to change it up and fly into our same spot, only for Moose this year. Seen some really Nice shootable Bulls the last couple of years we were in there, but we weren't set up to get them out. The Alaskan jet Ranger makes it all do-able.

boxhitch
05-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Cost is all relative.
Consider the investment in trucks quads horses whatever to get into the back country , and you still need a camp
Flying in can be cheap light backpack style or for a few more $$$ camp can be palatial
Don't forget the fishing gear and some kind of boat
I think Urs has some boats stashed at a few lakes

white moose
05-27-2015, 09:32 PM
I booked a trip for my Dad and I with steamboat outfitters, in sept for elk. 350$ a day per person. Cant wait.

Deerhunter85
05-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll keep searching and reading all the useful threads that are on here. So far I have found some pretty good stuff. Thanks again,
DH85

butcher
05-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Bc Yukon is flying out of dease. 250-771-3232. Bill or devlin. Good to deal with.