PDA

View Full Version : First euro mount attempt. Any advice appreciated.

SavageJB
05-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Hey all, hope spring season treating everyone well.

As a side project during the summer I am working on a euro mount from a muley buck I took a couple years back in Cache Creek area. I am needing to whiten the skull and add some coloration to the antlers to bring them back to life (I left them in the elements a bit long and they had some sun bleaching). If anyone has some advice on the whitening process or coloration (ie: wood stains, potassium permanganate, oils, etc..) all would be appreciated. I have heard a multitude of different ways and products but wanted to see what worked for people on the forum from my province and with similar game. Asking google can lead you in the wrong direction pretty quick haha.

Any advice or tips are appreciated.

Thanks much. Cheers.

Skull Hunter
05-25-2015, 03:08 PM
I use hydrogen peroxide for the whitening. I've heard of some guys getting a powdered form and making it into a paste so it's a little easier to work with. I just use the liquid form, but I've never had to contend with antlers.

As far as antler restoration, I've used potassium permanganate with good success.

bandit
05-25-2015, 05:08 PM
I used some 20 vol peroxide cream from Wal Mart (2 bottles at $3 each) Took a good 36 hours soaking to get the right shade of white. Made the shield out of a hardwood log I had lying around ($1 for some varnish and sandpaper, borrowed a planer and router from a neighbour) Way cheaper than buying a "proper" skull bleaching kit and shield from a taxidermist. And the bonus it smelled nice when it was done:). PM me if you want a pic...

Brambles
05-25-2015, 09:12 PM
No help without pics of the rack!!!!

boxhitch
05-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Some guys like the paper or chalk white , but imo that is unnatural.
Bone has some color , even old bone.
Hydrogen peroxide with flour or talc mixed into a paste that will stick will get the shade you want , after the simmering and degreasing with water and laundry soap.