PDA

View Full Version : Gobble Gobble...Gobble Gobble

mark
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Opening day for turkeys and I was home by 5:30. My hunting buddy from 100 mile drove down sat. morning and we packed up and headed for the south west koots in search of gobblers. The preday scouting paid off BIGTIME, first side road we took 3 big toms walked right in front of the truck :lol: . We messed with em with a crow call and got em all fired up and videoded a little. So we pitched camp 200 yards down the road. That eve we heard gobbling all around us, was hard to sleep. The next morn. we hiked up the road to where we saw the toms, planted a decoy and took up cover. We started to hen call and soon had responses, We had gobbles from 3 different directions, After about 20 min and dozens of gobbles, not 1, not 3, but 5 toms showed up. They were gobbling in perfect sync. so it sounded like 1 loud one, was very impressive!!! I was packing the crossbow, if I had a shotgun or .17, I could of shot all of em. They were so weary and wernt really buying the decoy, they were getting nervous and starded to head away, my buddy was out of range so I stood up and darted 1 at about 15 yards. feathers flew, the turkey jumped and just walked away totally unbothered or hurt, (no blood). All 5 turkeys just slowly marched down the road for about 200 yards gobbling like crazy. We were bummed, thought we blew it bigtime. The turkeys headed up on a ridge so we decided to split up and stalk them (maybe push them to each other) I cought up to em right away, but could not get closer than 75 yards. On the ridgetop I watched all 5 toms strutting like crazy for a couple of hens. i couldnt call em in . Somehow my buddy got super close to the flock and pounded one!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0049.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4853&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

We hiked back to camp (about 7:30) reliving the unbelieveable experience we just had. Cleaned the turkey and packed him in a snowbank. Buddys turkey was a large bird, but had no spurrs and only a 4 inch beard!While we had brunch, the CO showed up, said hed checked 20 guys already and we were the only ones with a turk. While eating we heard another turkey gobbling on a ridge with very tough access! We debated having a nap, but i said lets getem. This time I opted for the 12 guage (yes sold out on the crossbow very quickly). We hiked down the steepest bank imaginable, crossed a knee deep creek, then back up the other side of the steep revine to the ridge where we heard him. We got roughly to where we thought he was, took up cover and started clucking, got response right away but this lone tom was extremely weary!!!! After about 20 minutes of clucking and gobbling he was about 70 yards and wasnt coming any closer. My buddy suggested that I rush em and spray lead hard, I chose to be patient and kept clucking, It paid off, another 10 minutes and he appeared at 25 yards... BOOM, a head full of lead and our hunt was over! My Bird was a mature tom, with an 9 inch beard, much larger than my buddies although the pics would make you think the opposite

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1696.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4854&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_16971.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4856&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

beeker
04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Right on Mark, nicely done!

300H&H
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Super birds.
Awsome story.

Will ya take me next Mark , uh...I mean TURKEY MASTER OF THE UNIVERS.

Derp
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
gotta love them turks:)

LeverActionJunkie
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice work thanks for sharing:)

derek p
04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
hey Mark,

Sounds like you had an awesome hunt, good for you. Two years in a row nailing one on opening day. Congrats.

Derek

MattB
04-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Nice pics! No turkey in the garage pics? LOL

Thats also a wicked looking wall tent! What the heck is it?!

mtnmax
04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you guys had an awsome time.

mark
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Derek, actually last years wasnt til the second day of season.

Matt... garage turky pics????

My shelter I bought from rona, a couple years ago. Its 1 piece, sets up in a minute, is made frome tentpole like frame and heavy duty tarp. Rona was selling it as a pop-up greenhouse. It sleeps 3 and a wood stove comfortably, weighs about 40 lbs and folds up in a minute and packs into a big hockey bag. Cost $350. but they only sold em for about 5 or 6 weeks

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1695.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4862&size=big&cat=500)

ohno
04-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Great story and pic's. That's a nice Tom you bagged.

Elkhound
04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
great trip Mark.....congrats

Wildfoot
04-15-2007, 10:53 PM
nice birds! hopefully i can bag one next weekend!!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-16-2007, 04:17 AM
You're on a pretty good roll, Mark!!
Sounds like some pretty good action8) !!!!

Congrats!

SSS

boxhitch
04-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Good going, Mark. Sounds like you played it right. I thought the earlier birds may be less skittish.

Fisher-Dude
04-16-2007, 08:07 AM
What day should I come over with a jar of cranberry sauce? :biggrin:

Good job, looks like I know where to ask for turkey huntin tips!

BCrams
04-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Good hunt and pics. Never hunted turkeys before but it sounds like fun.

308BAR
04-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Great story gets my blood pumping just thinking about it.

Ovis17
04-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Nice looking toms congrats........Time to break out the cranberry sauce.

mark
04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Cranberry sauce yes, have to get some, as were eating him fresh tonight!
The style of hunting and fun factor, can only be compared to elk hunting! For any experienced elk callers will know what I mean. Heck I think the turkeys are more wary and cautious than horny elk! Also was fun was seeing so many guys roadhunting for them, some even tried hen clucking right from their trucks. we probably saw 20 pickups in the 5 km. logging rd we were on and heard no other shots!

Elkhound
04-16-2007, 09:38 AM
we probably saw 20 pickups in the 5 km. logging rd we were on and heard no other shots!

This always makes me smile while hunting.....

Rubicon500
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
So marky mark ya gettin a life size mount of that guy done? Get him coming out of a cave with his claws out lol

Elkhound
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
So marky mark ya gettin a life size mount of that guy done? Get him coming out of a cave with his claws out lol

He has it jumping out of that cave on to a cougar's back and biting him in the throat.....Grrrrrrrrrr. One tough turkey:lol:

HighCountry
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Nice turkey Mark.Thanks for sharing the pichure with us congrats.

Fireball129
04-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Congrats Mark,Sounded like it was a fun time,can't wait to try myself.Thanks for the pics.

tracker
04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
another dead gobbler:smile:

not much of a story teller but here are some pics . 21 pounds 5 ounces ,11/16 th spurs and a 9" 1/4 inch beard
total score = 139.3125 as per nwtf web site [hope I did it right]www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html (http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html) :lol: :lol:

congrats on all the other succesful hunters they are tougher to hunt than one might think.

tracker
04-16-2007, 03:09 PM
could not get the pics to work for me oh well

tracker
04-16-2007, 06:57 PM
trying:roll: a pic

Husky7mm
04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=mark) Also was fun was seeing so many guys roadhunting for them, some even tried hen clucking right from their trucks. we probably saw 20 pickups in the 5 km. logging rd we were on and heard no other shots![/QUOTE]
:mad: Sounds like my day except all the idiots scared the turkeys so bady up here they quit calling all together!I wont go on a weekend opener ever agian. Found a few sheads at least.

derek p
04-17-2007, 06:27 PM
so today I put my foot down and told work, I was giong turkey hunting no ifs and or buts. So I will be heading out on thursday. Hopefully I will find Mark's golden horse shoes on my drive.:lol:

Gateholio
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Nice turkies!!
I hunted turkies in Ontario a few years ago, it was a blast calling them in!

I can't see road hunting working that great, unless you got really lucky!8)

CanAm500
04-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Nice bird.

levind
04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
derek p we are going thursday as well. you leaving first thing in the morning or after work? we are going after work. w

derek p
04-18-2007, 02:26 PM
bright and early on thursday morning, I hope to start hunting by the mid afternoon. I want to get a good day in before all the weekend warriors come out to play.:lol:

Derek

levind
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
were abouts are you going we are heading to the cranbrook area.

Will
04-18-2007, 03:30 PM
many guys roadhunting for them, some even tried hen clucking right from their trucks. we probably saw 20 pickups in the 5 km. logging rd we were on and heard no other shots!

Sometimes it's tough to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by Turkeys ! :lol:

Congrats 8) & Well Done :)

ioulia
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi Mark,

Just talked to Derek...he's camped in your special spot, found your birdie's feathers and feets :) He will be heading off tomorow am to try his luck.

mark
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Well, I guess i gave him good directions then, he will know I wasnt BS'ing him. I wish em well! Keep us posted on his hunt Ioulia. (wow alot of vowels in your name!)

tracker
04-20-2007, 05:59 PM
hey ioulia!!
can you blow your pic up in your avtar what are you doing? holding what? thanks tracker:lol: :lol:

Jagermeister
04-20-2007, 06:02 PM
How long is this turkey season anyway?

ioulia
04-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, I guess i gave him good directions then, he will know I wasnt BS'ing him. I wish em well! Keep us posted on his hunt Ioulia. (wow alot of vowels in your name!)

Ok...Here is the update as of 4pm today:
He saw 4 turkeys (females) and tons of deer as well as other hunters. There were guys from Chilliwack and Vancouver kicking around. I guess he'll try again tomorrow or maybe he even already got one by now.

As for my name, I love it! It sounds sexy and exotic. Plus, it confuses the hell out of telemarketers!

ioulia
04-20-2007, 07:11 PM
hey ioulia!!
can you blow your pic up in your avtar what are you doing? holding what? thanks tracker:lol: :lol:

Hey tracker!
Where is your avatar, smart guy? :lol:
I'm actually holding a riffle. Have you seen one before? :twisted:

It was the very first time I went on a hunting trip with Derek. I was totally untrained and unprepared (you can probably tell by my outfit). I could not hold the gun straight as it was too heavy for me at that time, so I had to rest it on my hip. I'm a girly girl, you know! LOL

As of now, I got my core program done, my arms are worked out 3 times a week, I can hold the riffle straight and actually shoot and get the target. There!!!

tracker
04-21-2007, 06:46 AM

You might have to invest in a good set of bipods for that rifle of yours.
congrats on passing the core and hope you have a successfull hunting future. ttfn tracker

Elkhound
04-21-2007, 09:44 AM
As for my name, I love it! It sounds sexy and exotic. Plus, it confuses the hell out of telemarketers!

:lol: too funny, thats great. I met Ioulia once with Derek......and she is sexy and exotic:biggrin:

Tracker......back peddle,back peddle, back peddle.:lol:

Ioulia, hope to see some hunting pics in the future. The wife passed all her stuff last year too and hopefully she will have her own bear thread soon

ioulia
04-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks, Elkhound! You are too sweet!

I have a couple of my first deer pictures posted on Derek's photos page. Hopefully this coming deer season I'll have something to brag about. :)

That's great for your wife to get the core! How did she find the actual coarse? Did she enjoy it? Look forward to her bear thread.
I know I won't have one. I'm terrified of them :sad: :lol:

Elkhound
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
will check out Derek's gallery.

She liked the core......but hated the Bird ID. She found that the hardest, plus she really wasn't interested in hunting birds.

Tiff is afraid of bears too.......thats what back up is for:lol: