PDA

View Full Version : Lab in Lower mainland to test black bear for trich?

popper
05-22-2015, 05:52 AM
Could you guys help me finding a lab in the lower mainland to test black bear for trich?

caddisguy
05-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Check the "Wild Game Recipies" section... there's a recent thread in there.

I'm not sure what the point of testing is though. Trich is very common in bears. I don't think the test is 100% accurate and there is a variety of other parasites that could be present. It's not like if the test for trich is negative that it's safe to eat undercooked bear meat.

Cook until the internal temperature is 165. At that point, trich worms/cysts become bonus protien!!! Don't worry whether or not it has trich... it probably does!! Enjoy and congrats on the bear ;)

tigrr
05-22-2015, 06:24 AM
It would be cheaper to buy a microscope and freeze and slice off a super thin layer and light it up and look at it. Some times a sugar cube size chunk has as many as 300 calcium cysts in it. The cysts contain the egg or worm.
Why the test? Just cook it to 165 degrees and it is good to eat.

warbird2006
05-22-2015, 06:59 AM
I called around last year and no, provincial government does not test it any more.
We took the meat to commercial freezer, where it was for over 7 months at -25C. We still cook the meet anyway.
Better safe then sorry.

Steeleco
05-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Just cook it and don't look back, too many guys are over-thinking things. There was a time when commercial pork had a higher risk of tric and people still ate it. I've taken bears in the morning and eaten the tenderloins that day for dinner, no issue!

Ranger95
05-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Just cook it and don't look back, too many guys are over-thinking things. There was a time when commercial pork had a higher risk of tric and people still ate it. I've taken bears in the morning and eaten the tenderloins that day for dinner, no issue!

We we always thought it was "mad cow" that inflicted you - now we realize it was "mad bear" - everything is clear now....

caddisguy
05-22-2015, 03:40 PM

Fully agree. A large percentage of ground beef has e-coli and chicken has salmonella. I wouldn't pay to get my ground beef tested when all I need to do to avoid getting sick is to cook it and maybe wash my hands ;-P

No point for anyone to go and pay for testing stuff or getting too excited about trich at all. It's is just one of dozens of things that a bear is likely to carry. Tape worms are extremely common as well. You can usually find tapeworm segments in bear scat. I'd be suspicious of a bear that wasn't hosting a variety of critters.

Steeleco
05-22-2015, 07:04 PM
We we always thought it was "mad cow" that inflicted you - now we realize it was "mad bear" - everything is clear now....

Both are better than "Mad Mod" with all those options huh?

russm
05-22-2015, 07:13 PM
I plan on shooting mine tomorrow, he'll be in my belly as soon as he's in sausage/pepperoni form I think if I was worried enough to consider testing a bear I probably wouldn't shoot a bear to begin with.

BTF
05-22-2015, 09:59 PM

Exactly, Fire up the bbq and enjoy! Bear is some of the best table fare out there. But hey I also drink water out of the creek too!:wink:

chrismcd
05-24-2015, 02:46 PM
i made some burges yestday, as we were enjoying them, someone mentioned theres was pink. a couple of us looked at eachother with wide eyes and told them to stop and throw it back on the grill. I really hope they dont get trichnosis due to me only checking the first batch for temp then matching the time on the second batch:oops:

caddisguy
05-24-2015, 09:41 PM
i made some burges yestday, as we were enjoying them, someone mentioned theres was pink. a couple of us looked at eachother with wide eyes and told them to stop and throw it back on the grill. I really hope they dont get trichnosis due to me only checking the first batch for temp then matching the time on the second batch:oops:

Probably fine... 165 F is guaranteed elimination of trich... anything close even 130 probably does the job. You're playing with so many "what if's" ...

What if there was trich?
What if the internal temp was below 165?
Ok what if it was below 130 which would have killed it 99%
in the 1/100 chance somebody ingested eggs or worms, what are the odds of it living? What are the odds of it living half cooked drowned in a few beers?

Ok so a worm or some eggs lived in their tummy... how bad will their trich be? Most of the time the human body deals with trich in a couple weeks, without symptoms ever showing

It's not like they ate a couple pounds of rare steak... bite or two of a burger a little pink

Stop worrying but be more careful.

I cut up a bunch into little stirfry sized nuggets. One looked a tad pink but I ate it anyway. Yum yum!!

I'd worry more about tape worms than trich... but not enough to check my poops for tapeworm segments even though the bear I ate had plenty of segments in his piles. The odds of a bit of pink causing devastation are slim.

"may the odds be ever in your favor" !!!