PDA

View Full Version : First gopher shoot of the year.....

rocksteady
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Had a blast today (the gophers can't say they enjoyed it as much)....

Lawn chair, shooting sticks, XL triple/triple from Tim H, pack of cigarettes and a fresh brick of .22LR HP's:lol: :lol:

Spent a couple hours in the sunshine removing pesky vermin rodents out of a ranchers pasture, where he winters his horse.....

Left a few for seed for next weekend though....

BearSniper
04-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Gophers:lol:

Great practice.

Have you ever been to one of those derby's in Saskatchewan, where the famers let gun clubs come out to the fields to take care of the problem ?

It sure looks like fun.:)

BearSniper
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Say Rocksteady

Go to huntingfootage.com and look at the section on small game. Theres a father son team the blasts gophers with a Remington 700 in .223 calibre.

Its hilarious.:)

Derp
04-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Is there any gophers here in the lower mainland? i know thers rabbits but never seen gophers...

BearSniper
04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Gophers

Not as far as I know.

I think the closest is towards Merrit or off the Coke. Also maybe near sunday summit and Princeton

Oh I know. Manningn park lodge right by the highway but thats obviously out of bounds as its in the park.

Anywher else might all be private property

todbartell
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
use the 243

overthetop
04-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Use a 300 ultra mag. Makes pizza out of them. Nothing left to pick up.

LeverActionJunkie
04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Damn Rocksteady you beat me to it I'm going on Wed.

Bartell, the 243 would be good:) I love my 204, you need an industrial strength blender to get results like that.

Gateholio
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I wish there were some gophers around here, i'd love to try out gopher shooting...

JoshLedoux
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
building a new varmint rig as we speek and need a new spot HELP

Mini_Me
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I wish there were some gophers around here, i'd love to try out gopher shooting...
X2
That would be a good way to take the bow out during the summers.

SUAFOYT
04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
The little buggers(aka Columbian Ground Squirrels) are out. We wait til late May early June as the parents aren't so cautious when the new hatch is out. We've used 22's, pellet pistols, blunts, and one time, just to get rid of some old hand loads, the 12 ga- not very sporting but what a hoot. Best day so far was 750+ 22's with about 2/3 success rate.

Silent Wolf
04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Hell why shoot them, just make a bomb and blow them all up at once:lol:

Oh I cant wait to hit the Cariboo, as the rancher lets me blast away, some of them Ground Squirrels are huge phat B@$T@RTD$.

I might break out the 308Norma Mag on a couple this year8-)

stalker
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Gophers

Not as far as I know.

I think the closest is towards Merrit or off the Coke. Also maybe near sunday summit and Princeton

Oh I know. Manningn park lodge right by the highway but thats obviously out of bounds as its in the park.

Anywher else might all be private property

sunday summit is region 8 so they are only open on private property (protecting livestock/crops etc)
you need to get into region 3 for open season
I used to hunt on a ranch near Falkland, there must have been 5000 gophers in 1/2 square km we killed 7-8 hundred in one day and at the end of the day it didn't even look like we had made a dent in the population.
Had the most fun with the 257Wby it sends pieces into orbit:twisted: :lol:
went back the next year and they had all been poisoned off :mad:
that should be illegal

SUAFOYT
04-16-2007, 07:40 PM
sunday summit is region 8 so they are only open on private property (protecting livestock/crops etc)
you need to get into region 3 for open season
I used to hunt on a ranch near Falkland, there must have been 5000 gophers in 1/2 square km we killed 7-8 hundred in one day and at the end of the day it didn't even look like we had made a dent in the population.
Had the most fun with the 257Wby it sends pieces into orbit:twisted: :lol:
went back the next year and they had all been poisoned off :mad:
that should be illegal

I was under the impression that the only place you can shoot Columbian Ground squirrels is on private land.

LeverActionJunkie
04-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Columbian Ground Squirrels are Private land only. But most landowners are happy to get rid of them.

Will
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Had a blast today (the gophers can't say they enjoyed it as much)....
Spent a couple hours in the sunshine removing pesky vermin rodents out of a ranchers pasture,
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/needPics.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stalker
04-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Columbian Ground Squirrels are Private land only. But most landowners are happy to get rid of them.

yes but columbia ground squirrels and gophers are a sched B animals and
can be killed to protect property.
In region 3 they have a season which means you don't need to have a reason for killing them, just a place.
But in region 8 they don't have an open season so you need a reason and a place
shooting them in a hay field may be ok but shooting them on a treed hillside in the bush may be hard to justify
example-sunday summit

mgnm300
04-17-2007, 06:48 AM
i've bin shooting gophers out by barriere a couple of times with the 17 cal. with a bipod and a 6x24 scope. you feel like a sniper lying down on the ground and hitting them out to 250yrds. it's a hoot,,,the 22 has bin collecting rust since i've owned the 17 cal. bin waiting to go again this year ,nice to hear they're coming out now,since it's a tad early for bear

LeverActionJunkie
04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
yes but columbia ground squirrels and gophers are a sched B animals and
can be killed to protect property.
In region 3 they have a season which means you don't need to have a reason for killing them, just a place.
But in region 8 they don't have an open season so you need a reason and a place
shooting them in a hay field may be ok but shooting them on a treed hillside in the bush may be hard to justify
example-sunday summit

So long as they are on private land and you have permission then you are OK. If the land owner wants to get rid of them then he will allow them to be shot.

bruin
04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
We went out last weekend with .22, recurve, 12 gauge, 300 wsm. WSM does the most damage and recurve is by far the most fun. Going again next weekend and will try to get some pics

rocksteady
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Sorry, no pics....Had too much fun shootin and camera was at home

Will
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Sorry, no pics....Had too much fun shootin and camera was at home
No worries I've seen a few Blow'd up Varmints...just a bad Joke ;-)