PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops area bears??

GWG
05-21-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm looking for a good area for bears around kamloops. My buddy from work just got his license and wants to get a bear. I see them around but not in high numbers, does anyone know of a good stop to check out.? Thanks

Sylus
05-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Look for roads on google earth that'll take you through areas with newer cuts focus on the, south facing cuts that are greening up. Green grass lining the road is also a good sign. If you see bear scat on the road, you're in the right areas. If you're road hunting try and run over the bear scats you see, that way if you travel the same road again you will be able to tell if any of the s*** is fresh. Apply that info and you should find bears. I did and it worked for me.

As a new hunter speaking to another new hunter, it is way more rewarding to find your own spot and find success there rather than being told where to find animals.

Lillypuff
05-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Saw a respectable one just before red lake on Saturday. Always see lots in the fall up Dardanelles.

Ferenc
05-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Lily lake... Good one sighted there above Red lake

tikkatac
05-21-2015, 10:38 PM
Inks lake and surrounding areas. Tons of bears out and about. I tried Red lake for bears but they're tough to catch on a fly

kishman
05-21-2015, 11:08 PM
I saw a couple of Blackies up past Pass Lake last week..

high and to the right
05-21-2015, 11:22 PM
If you see bear scat on the road, you're in the right areas. If you're road hunting try and run over the bear scats you see, that way if you travel the same road again you will be able to tell if any of the s*** is fresh. Apply that info and you should find bears. I did and it worked for me.

This is what I do too - run over the scat. But it can also be a bad thing to do. In fall I ran over a sizeable pile of scat. It was very fresh and runny and my SXS tires picked it up and threw it all over the under side of my RZR. Do you know what fresh crap from a bear that has been feeding on rotten carrion smells like? I can tell you that it keeps its smell for several days when it is wedged between every small inaccessible orifice in your machine. When you hunt in swampy areas, trying to wash it out with swamp water isn't much better. Had to ride 20 miles to a river to give it a bath.
Now I stop, stick my finger in the pile to see if it is still warm and then I put a piece of toilet paper on top of it like civilized hunters do. lol:lol:;):frown:

Sylus
05-22-2015, 05:11 AM
If you see bear scat on the road, you're in the right areas. If you're road hunting try and run over the bear scats you see, that way if you travel the same road again you will be able to tell if any of the s*** is fresh. Apply that info and you should find bears. I did and it worked for me.

This is what I do too - run over the scat. But it can also be a bad thing to do. In fall I ran over a sizeable pile of scat. It was very fresh and runny and my SXS tires picked it up and threw it all over the under side of my RZR. Do you know what fresh crap from a bear that has been feeding on rotten carrion smells like? I can tell you that it keeps its smell for several days when it is wedged between every small inaccessible orifice in your machine. When you hunt in swampy areas, trying to wash it out with swamp water isn't much better. Had to ride 20 miles to a river to give it a bath.
Now I stop, stick my finger in the pile to see if it is still warm and then I put a piece of toilet paper on top of it like civilized hunters do. lol:lol:;):frown:

Man that sounds like a crappy time 8)

M.Dean
05-22-2015, 08:31 AM
No bears anywhere's around my house, must be all that "Radiation" still leaking out of the ground from the "Nuclear" test's they did up at that Radar base awhile back! Kill'd dam near everything off round these here parts, man be a dang fool to even think of hunt'in bears up here!:wink:

wideopenthrottle
05-22-2015, 08:57 AM
good name for a rifle maybe.... "radiation" cuz it kills everything it hits...heheh

Bobfl
05-23-2015, 09:53 AM
I seen a sasquatch does that count

Trigger Happy
05-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Details Bob, DETAILS

Ltbullken
05-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Go up to the Dew Drop.

M.Dean
05-24-2015, 07:36 PM
good name for a rifle maybe.... "radiation" cuz it kills everything it hits...heheh "Radiation" eh??? Got a Ruger M77 Hawkeye 270 from my Son a while back, and to top it off, he donated a Leopold 3x9x50mm Rifleman scope too! Shot a mulie buck and a bull moose with it so far, incredible rifle, and at the range it's yet to be beat! Haven't named it yet, so "Radiation" the man say's, eh? My "Ruger Radiation" 270 Hawkeye M77 Rifle, it's got a kind'a a nice ring to it, don't it! "Ruger Radiation", I'm going to think about that, Thank's Wideopenthrottle!

GWG
05-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the info I'll let you know if he gets one.