PDA

View Full Version : Big horn 3

zpruden
05-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Ok so I picked up a big horn 3 and tried it out over the long weekend. Over all very happy, I'm just wondering if any one out there has one and puts something against the tent wall to protected against the heat from a stove? I did put a stove in this time but it seems that the stove would sit pretty close to the wall.

.264winmag
05-21-2015, 09:55 PM
I have the cabelas ISQ, same fabric I believe? Been rocking the woodstove in it stock with no issues yet. The material on wall behind stove gets too hot to touch but no problems yet. Have the floor and roof protector that seems to be keeping wear/tear from sparks down. If it's designed to run a stove I would think it should be fine. Condensation without a stove gets a little much, mine likes heat and good ventilation. I really like the fabric overall, should last for many years...

boxhitch
05-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Have used a stove in a Bighorn II , and liked having a 3 foot piece of roofing tin wrapped around the back.
Added piece of mind and a place to hang socks and gloves.
The tent has lots of small vents , but not enough if its calm out.
Also we always added a poly tarp to act as a vestibule.

zpruden
05-22-2015, 04:51 PM
I bought the vestibule with mine which adds a lot more room but tapping one in is a great idea. Thanks for the input guys.

Cordillera
05-22-2015, 06:17 PM
I built a heat shield that wires around the pipe. Simple piece of bent galvanized aluminum with a couple stove bolts that hold it an inch away from the actual pipe. Makes it act like a double wall pipe and really reduces the heat build up on the fabric. Peace of mind when you have it cranked up.