PDA

View Full Version : Will he still be around?

150fighter
04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, this Saturday we hiked up a road closure and found ourselfs a decent grizzly. Long story short, couldnt get a shot and he took off. We found a kill site that he was hanging around though, a young bull moose. Most of it was gone but from the neck up there was still lots of meat.

Think this griz will stick around in the general area for a while? Theres no hunting pressure where we walked in.

mntman
04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
if there was not alot of pressure and that was his kill site he won't go far

BearSniper
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Re Grizzly

Ya he'll probably will stick around if you're saying there still was some meat on on the carcass.

Was there lots of snow left ? If theres not much vegitation around due to snow he'll likely go for the meat.

Perhaps if you're patient you'll get a second chance at a shot.:redface:

todbartell
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
if you go back to the area knowing there is a kill there, is that technically baiting according to the synopsis??

srupp
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
He WILL be back..guaranteed.

Steven

Marc
04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
if you go back to the area knowing there is a kill there, is that technically baiting according to the synopsis??

I see that no different then hunting under an apple tree or in a berry patch. You just hapened on to his food source, you never put it there but I'm not the one who enforces or interprits the laws either.

I shot a bear a black bear a couple of years ago that was feeding on another dead bear. Not knowing any better I even told the CO when they came into camp to check out my bear. CO's never said anything about it, they just checked my lisence to make sure everything was in order and they carried on.

I had no idea the carcas was there until we shot the bear and went to it. Not sure if this would be the same case when you know where the carcas is.

srupp
04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I know what the regs say and how they will be interpreted IF you shot a grizz over the dead carcass...

ALL that being said..You asked IF the grizz would return..IF not harrassed..he WILL return.

Steven

moosecaller
04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't know how long he will hang around. That being said let me qualify the comment. I found a grizzly kill moose(6x7 point bull) a few years back all that was eaten was an ear, the nose and a bit off the hind maybe a 1/8th the rest was buried under leaves dirt etc. The next day when a buddy who had a tag went back about 18 hours later there was nothing but a few bones left. So who knows how long a grizzzly sits on a kill and how long it takes to consume, I was very surprised to hear that it was all but gone in that short of time.

hunter1947
04-16-2007, 04:10 AM
I would be going back to the kill sight to see if the grizzly was back ,I'm sure he will return a few hour latter or sooner. hunter47.

BANG!
04-16-2007, 05:39 PM
my 2 cents ..... he'll be back.

my advice ..... go say 'hi!'

(and post the pics afterwards) - good luck

elkguide
04-16-2007, 06:43 PM
one way to know for certain is to go and look.......if he is a smart old bear chances are he has moved on. If there is a large amount of track all around the area chances are he's still there......if there was only a small amount of track and sign then chances are he was just moving through and happened upon the kill. I have watched grizzlies bury an elk and never come back to it for the 3 weeks we watched it ( unless he went nocturnal). Good luck on your hunt.

150fighter
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody. I wouldnt consider this baiting at all, if you found a food source for deer you would go back and that wouldnt be considered baiting.

There was quite a bit of tracks around the kill site so we got the impression that he liked this area quite a bit. Still lots of snow around so hopefully he'll be around by next weekend.

boxhitch
04-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Can't find the info just yet, so going from memory (such as it is) ....
Bears cannot turn onto protein immediately after waking up, as it takes a while for the gut to adjust to intake. Veggies are best and they can't be too lush or problems can arise. May be only a meal or two, or may be a week or longer ????........

Husky7mm
04-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Good start, wheres you draw?