PDA

View Full Version : south of gang ranch on the river

dino
05-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Anyone here been south of the gang ranch on the river in a small jet zodiac. I was there years ago but didnt pay attention to the water and how it would be for a small jetted zodiac.

flyinguy
05-20-2015, 07:27 AM
How far south of the bridge? I'm assuming your putting in at the hunting camp just south of the bridge and if so your good for a few km....one good spot w standing waves above the ferry and of course theres bridge river to aviod.
I guided on the Chilco/Chilcotin/Fraser for years so just watch for the whirl pools, boils and
eddie lines as their the concern for a small boat...read the river. Anything less than 14ft I would aviod for a boat.

Buck
05-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Just up from the The Big Bar ferry there is a very nasty set of rapids.Read a few accounts of boats sinking there.

dino
05-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys , thats what i thought. Its been a while for me so thought i would double check.

Cordillera
05-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Just up from the The Big Bar ferry there is a very nasty set of rapids.Read a few accounts of boats sinking there.

Any idea of the class of water? Ie big class Ii/III or up to four? I've though about taking my raft in this section of water in November for Julie's and it seems doable for a proper whitewater rig. Thoughts?

ACE
05-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Is the river at normal seasonal levels now .... ?
Is this a concern ?

flyinguy
05-22-2015, 10:36 PM
16' w oars .....just stay in the tongue. Really watch the eddie lines ...You can skirt everything above Bridge River.
I used to have a poster in my office of Dan Culver (RIP) running the rapid above Bridge River.... if my escaping brain cells recall it was called Pipeline....running in the standing waves in a 35' raft with outriggers. You can takeout at the ferry or up stream river right is a road above Bridge River Rapid where Dan would off load guests, run the rapid, then pickup the guests for the trip down to yale.