PDA

View Full Version : Indian River road

flyinguy
05-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Is the road from Squish to the mouth of the Indian River open? Been awhile since up there since a landslide shut it down.
Thanks

MB_Boy
05-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Haven't been in a while but have a look at these.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/engineering/roadinformation.htm

STAWAMUS/ https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/engineering/NEW.GIF
INDIAN RIVER
Wilderness FSR Seasonally deactivated 4WD access only
** NO ACCESS BEYOND 10KM DUE TO WASHOUT **

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?95770-Indian-River-Road-access

gizmo_85
05-19-2015, 09:09 AM
I went up there in a Jeep about 2 months ago and we ran into 2 major washouts. One at 10 km the other about 17,5 Both were passable with spotters and taking your time.

Rob Chipman
05-19-2015, 02:31 PM
gizmo_85

Based on my memory 10 km and 17.5km are probably past the big block wall they have there. Am I right? In other words, did you get past that and down to the Indian River side of the hill?

charlie_horse
05-19-2015, 09:28 PM
The one at 10k is completely passable especially with spotters, that's the one with the lockblocks. The one at 17.5. Is pretty tight you actually go around the washout on a quad trail. I wouldn't try it in anything bigger than a half tonne. Was up there Sunday.

xfactor
05-19-2015, 09:39 PM
to the OP, trying to figure out your LEH elk draw? lol!! you just gave the world the intel they need regarding the road.

flyinguy
05-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Nope....got another area for elk with a 6x5 thats getting ripe for the pickin' and its over thata way...turn left at the crow sittin' on a fence post.
Was thinking 'bout the Indian for some of the best pink fishing on light flyline I ever had.

flyinguy
05-19-2015, 10:33 PM
I think I'll boat in up the arm
Thanks for the info

gizmo_85
05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Yes the one at 17.5 approx.. We got around on a quad trail. It was tight for our Jeep JK's.

high and to the right
05-20-2015, 11:06 AM
The last 6 - 8 km of the road before the arm has Private Property - no trespassing signs on it. Someone has knocked some of the signs down but there are still some up. It has been put there by the Tsleil-Waututh Nation.

albravo2
05-20-2015, 11:24 AM
I haven't been lately but it was open and good last year.

The block roadblock was removed, just nature to contend with now.

Local CO told me the natives are definitely not friendly. Be careful.

adriaticum
05-20-2015, 12:24 PM
I put in for Indian River Elk LEH.
Fingers crossed.

Bugle M In
05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
The last 6 - 8 km of the road before the arm has Private Property - no trespassing signs on it. Someone has knocked some of the signs down but there are still some up. It has been put there by the Tsleil-Waututh Nation.

Is it ACTUALLY PRIVATE PROPERTY??

I haven't been up there for 30 years now.....man time flies!

MichelD
05-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I used to go there in 93, 94 when I got my first 4x4. I could go over there and not see anybody all day.

biggyun68
05-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Read the regs. folks it is quite clear what is FN and what is not: Especially if you take your boat:he
Can't hurt to call the Tsleil-Wauthuth First Nations Natural Resource Manager to ask their opinion.

Rob Chipman
05-21-2015, 07:42 PM
biggyun68 -

I looked in the regs (hardcopy and online). Couldn't find anything. Where are you seeing it?

MichelD
05-21-2015, 07:48 PM
biggyun68 -

I looked in the regs (hardcopy and online). Couldn't find anything. Where are you seeing it?

LEH synopsis page 6, hunt # 2104 it says "Indian reserves are private property"

MB_Boy
07-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Just a heads up should anyone have this draw or be looking to get in there, this was posted on a BC Fishing forum.

As some of you know, I occasional do work for the Tsleil-Waututh Nation and I had heard the road to the top of Indian Arm had been re-activated because there is a new natural gas pipeline going into the watershed in the near future. This had me rubbing my hands in glee as I have wanted to fish this river for a long time, but as you know I am nautically challenged and cannot not access the river from the sea.

Unfortunately the heavy rain storm we had in the spring has blown out a large section of the road, so access to Indian Arm can only be achieved by mountain bike, dirt bike, quad or a very robust 4x4 driven by someone with big balls, i.e. it's double but more than a little sketchy.

It's my understanding that an excavator may be going in late August or September, at which time the road will be re-opened.

Has anyone fished this system and what runs when?

If anyone is interested I will keep this thread updated with news, if and when I hear more.

Carrollizer
09-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Anyone been up there recently in a 4x4?
Looking to go next weekend for some Mulies

Pyro
05-23-2017, 09:46 PM
BUMP.

Has anyone been up there recently?
I'm thinking of going there for black bear in a week or two.

Thanks.

sed8ed
05-24-2017, 06:10 PM
You can't get to the pass... too much snow.

Was up there sledding 2 weeks ago and we offloaded just past upper water intake, where the powerlines first cross the road.

Couple more weeks at least... the snowpack is incredibly deep this year.

Pyro
05-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Good to know, thanks.

Piperdown
05-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Mods close this racist thread how dare they name a rd Indian River totally unacceptable!!!!!

REMINGTON JIM
05-26-2017, 09:32 AM
LEH synopsis page 6, hunt # 2104 it says "Indian reserves are private property"

OF course they are - :roll: RJ

high and to the right
05-26-2017, 10:52 AM
For those who haven't been down the road lately, the last 10 km ( may be 6km) is posted as no trespassing by the first nations band that has traditional rights to the land.

finaddict
05-26-2017, 01:29 PM
For those who haven't been down the road lately, the last 10 km ( may be 6km) is posted as no trespassing by the first nations band that has traditional rights to the land. but is it IR?

steve-r
05-30-2017, 08:00 PM
It may be posted but this provincial government topo map from GeoBC shows the boundary...seems to me its the west side of the river at the top of the inlet...isnt the road on the east side there? That would indicate the road is not IR.
My understanding is that they do own the wharf on the east side, but that is from their logging operation.
http://pub.data.gov.bc.ca/datasets/177864/pdf/092G/092G046.pdf

edit update: if you zoom in there is a very small block on the east side

Max Ranger
05-31-2017, 08:57 PM
Indian river was one of my favorite spots to fish and hunt in the late 70's- early 80's. I used to drive my 68 Bronco up the Stawamus main, over the summit, and follow the power lines down the valley to the head of Indian Arm. A logging camp was located just above tide water. Fishing was good at times, the main run being pink salmon in September followed by small runs of native coho, a few chinook and lastly chums in late fall. WE also caught sea run cutthroat trout in fall and some native steelhead in the spring when we travelled up the arm by boat and rode mountain bikes up the logging road to the falls and fished our way back to the tide water. When the loggers quit working up there we seldom ever saw any body else up there. Some squatters moved into the logging camp and killed a lot of the black bears for their gall bladders. A couple of D.F.O. fisheries wardens used to go up there to count fish and they also built a private A- frame cabin across the river above the twin bridges, but it got burnt down. A small fish hatchery operated for a few seasons just below the twin bridges but shut down when D.F.O. cut funding it. We only saw Natives from Capilano fishing up there for Pinks a couple of times. Other than that, nobody but the odd adventurous sports fisherman. The road in and out was rough, steep and rugged and 4wd was essential. Many trucks still broke down back there. One guy from Squamish had a new 3/4 ton and and a big camper on it. His tranny packed it in up at Norton Lake and he had to get a deuce and a half recovery truck to drive in from Squamish to tow him out. Ka-ching - Ka-ching! Some nice trout were caught in Norton Lake back then but it got fished out pretty fast. There are some other nice alpine lakes to hike into up there but it's serious hiking. Blacktail deer were pretty common back there but nothing very big. I shot my first blacktail buck up in the Meslilooet valley. Shake bolt cutters used to work up there and haul cedar blocks out to Squamish over that rough, sketchy road. They must have been drunk! Never heard anything about that valley being reserve or native land back then and we never saw any elk sign there but we did see elk tracks in the upper Pitt river below the canyon where the hot springs are.

Blainer
05-31-2017, 09:21 PM
The elk were implemented in the Valley long after that Max.

RShields
06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
We went up the Indian 2 days ago and got turned around at 8km by 1.5' - 2' of snow. Got out and hiked for a bit but were postholing and didn't look like it was going to ease up anytime soon. A couple more weeks.

MichelD
06-09-2017, 10:11 AM
We went up the Indian 2 days ago and got turned around at 8km by 1.5' - 2' of snow. Got out and hiked for a bit but were postholing and didn't look like it was going to ease up anytime soon. A couple more weeks.

Crazy. I remember the last time I went there, June 5, 2003. My wife wanted to go for her 50th birthday and we easily drove right thorough.

Danny
06-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know about a new washout up there? I heard that the road was impassable again ?

high and to the right
06-26-2017, 10:56 AM
I was there on June 15 and there was still too much snow at the summit to get through. Should be better now. There's a sign at the entrance that says the bridge is out which would be approx 1/2 Km after the summit. I was going to walk through the snow to check it out but it was too brutal trudging through the snow.

RShields
06-26-2017, 10:01 PM
We were up there a fair bit last fall and the 10km crossing wasn't so bad. Stock 4x4 made it through just fine. Going to take another run at it this week to see if we can get in - I'll let you know how it goes.

RShields
07-02-2017, 08:40 PM
We were up there yesterday. 10km is passable but there is a pretty decent sized landslide at about 16km. Quads/bikes are good to go - maybe a HC Jeep with a good driver. Saw lots of Elk sign above the canyon waters.