PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunt May 13th - May 17th

epicZERO74
05-18-2015, 08:48 AM
On Thursday, May 17th, 2015, my dad, my brother and I set out on a bear hunting quest in Quesnel, BC. We drove to 100 Mile from Surrey on Thursday, then the rest of the way on Friday. Once in Quesnel, we headed over to Nazko to hunt at my Grandpa's cabin. Unfortunately, the road into the cabin was flooded, so we just hunted the day there, then returned to Quesnel in the evening. We saw some bear sign, but no bears.

On Saturday, we began hunting out of town. We saw 3 bears in the morning, only 1 had presented a shot, but I missed. He was a nice color phased bear, with a black head and bottom, but a tan/beige middle(Oreo was his nickname) We also saw a couple deer, and a moose. During the evening, We saw 2 more bears. Once again, one presented a shot, he was nice and broadside. However, the clip of the 30-06 kept ejecting the bullets whenever they got warm, causing the gun to jam. So as my dad came out to help me, the bear wandered off into the trees. I took a shot, but he was in thick trees and moving so it was another miss.

On Sunday morning, the last hunt of the trip, we were cruising down the road when my dad sees bear scat and says: "This wasn't here yesterday" and we looked up and saw a bear sitting on the road, completely oblivious to our location. I got out and moved to the left for a better shot. I shot, but the gun was shooting to the left(as we later found out), so my shot was far back, but I hit him. We started tracking him through the trees he ran through, and we saw that he crossed a small swamp. We figured we might be chasing him further than needed, so we returned to the truck and grabbed rope, knives and other odds and ends that we needed, and set back out into the bush.

After following the blood trail for awhile, we found the little swamp he crossed, and we sent my brother around to find the blood trail on the other side. Once he found it, my dad and I went around to join him. 2 more small swamps later and we found him. But not dead. My dad, who had the gun at the time, took a shot at it, missed, but the bear was hurting so he didn't run up the hill too far. 2 more shots later and the bear was down, but still growling, but since we were out of ammo, my dad slit his throat. It was a long haul getting him out of the bushes. My dad threw the front quarters over his shoulder, later tying them around his waste, and my brother did the same with the hind quarters, and i got away with the backpack with rope, camera, the bear's head, along with other trinkets, as well as the gun, and we made it out. After that we got a 2nd breakfast and drove the 6-8 hour trip back home.

Me with the bear:

http://i.imgur.com/b07MKNoh.jpg

Me & my dad with the bear(and the dog hanging out on the right):

http://i.imgur.com/k8PZs7oh.jpg

Me & my brother with the bear:

http://i.imgur.com/M7CaBvRh.jpg

BCBlacktailer
05-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Congrats on the bear, but next time take the time to make sure your gun is shooting where it should before you start slinging lead at bears!

Papa Sasquatch
05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
It is my hope that Father and son have learn the value of sighting and practice, practice, practice before going out into the woods or else a lot of animals will get injured out there.
Rushing into the bush after an injured bear is humane but concerning.
Congrats on the bear you did bring home.

mcmullmar
05-18-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm his dad, I did sight it in the day before, 1" high at 100 yrds. I will be taking a close look at gun in next couple of days, and getting it back to the range. Something is going on with it.

Papa Sasquatch
05-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Best for him to set his own gun from his own shooting posture.
Start with some grouping shots "without any adjustments" at a 100 yards.

If the grouping is tight... set scope.
if not... could be the shooter, technic or nerves. Could be loose scope, lowsy ammo, overly sensitive trigger...
Have fun

Check with TheRangeLangley.Com should be opening for business soon

Ranger95
05-18-2015, 11:53 AM
That's an Awesome father and son hunt - finished with a nice bear.

My dad taught me to hunt, my first kill was when I was six years old with a .22 - (Dassie South Africa ) since then we have lived and hunted in many places like Europe, New Zealand and BC.

I'll always be grateful to my dad taking the time to teach me how to hunt - enjoy your bear.

kgs
05-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Congrats on the getting your bear and working hard to track it and put it down. Some times shit happens when you hunt and it does not always work out the way you expect but its what you do after that counts.

rides bike to work
05-18-2015, 03:24 PM
That's a Great bear you got there I like the brown muzzle