PDA

View Full Version : Shed hunting training videos

Brambles
05-18-2015, 01:47 AM
This is a video I shot of my dog Sadie practicing her shed hunting.

all sheds were placed by throwing them as to not have a scent trail leading up to them

Intro 32 seconds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHM9AybgDiA

Video 13:29 minutes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5sK8GWeZnQ

Daybreak
05-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Wow, she's doing well. Did you have troubles convincing her to relinquish the sheds once she has returned with them? There is a dog in my family that likes to find them however will drop them 6 feet from your feet or not drop them at all.

Brambles
05-18-2015, 09:17 AM
No she's really good about dropping them on my feet, she won't get her treat until she gets it to me, if she drops it 6 ft away I tell her to pick it up and bring it to me....which she does.

she has always had a shed antler in her bed to chew on since 8weeks old, so the shed in her mind is always avaliable....the treat is what drives her I'm sure!

even after the training drills and we're shooting, she's still wandering around trying to find sheds!

madtrapper85
05-18-2015, 09:28 AM
That's awesome good job.

hotload
05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
This spring my dog has amassed 40 sheds and what a wonderful way to give you a reason to stay fit and keep an eye on good big game country that's needed for the fall. Have fun with your great looking dog. If you haven't already, make sure you have your scent removed totally from the shed as she might be picking up your scent and moving toward it and as a bonus there is an antler there which she retrieves to you. Good Luck
ROD

Brambles
05-18-2015, 12:25 PM
This spring my dog has amassed 40 sheds and what a wonderful way to give you a reason to stay fit and keep an eye on good big game country that's needed for the fall. Have fun with your great looking dog. If you haven't already, make sure you have your scent removed totally from the shed as she might be picking up your scent and moving toward it and as a bonus there is an antler there which she retrieves to you. Good Luck
ROD

i haven't descented the antlers yet, mostly because I'm worried about changing the natural smell of the antler!
i do have concerns about her catching my scent on them, but I also use a commercial antler scent wax on the pedicals to help stink em up!

what do you use to descent antlers?

adriaticum
05-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Great video!

hotload
05-18-2015, 06:48 PM
i haven't descented the antlers yet, mostly because I'm worried about changing the natural smell of the antler!
i do have concerns about her catching my scent on them, but I also use a commercial antler scent wax on the pedicals to help stink em up!

what do you use to descent antlers?

The RACK WAX you might put on your antler does help but there is no scent better known to your dog than yours and this is why many people lose slippers and such to puppies, they will pick them up and carry them around proudly and actually bring them to you. I do believe that a descenting as you call it would minimalize the scent which could be detrimental at this time. Be diligent from the initial finding of the antler to put it in plastic or at least something without your scent on it. When you retrieve an antler from your dog that absolutely doesn't have your scent on it, your off and running. With great praise your dog will never forget what it smells like.

Brambles
05-18-2015, 10:47 PM
http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/03/08/shed-dog-training-how-do-you-keep-your-scent-off-of-the-dummy-and-antler-during-training/

This guy adresses my concerns about descenting

hotload
05-19-2015, 09:05 AM
http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/03/08/shed-dog-training-how-do-you-keep-your-scent-off-of-the-dummy-and-antler-during-training/

This guy adresses my concerns about descenting

Read the post. This guy has the right idea no doubt, all I was stating possibly in an ambiguous way was that minimalizing your scent puts you on the path to success quicker than not. Your dog will more readily pick up something with your scent on it than something you've thrown with possibly a slight smell of plastic. Whatever you choose to do, move toward eliminating your scent and GOOD LUCK.............................................. ......

Brambles
05-19-2015, 09:13 AM
I will try it with a couple descented antlers and see if it changes her success ratio. I personally don't think she's cheating but I guess you never know until you rule out the possibility.