PDA

View Full Version : Brambles 2015 Bear

Brambles
05-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Well the kids and I have been going for evening drives looking for a nice sausage bear, usually seeing 2-3 bears a night.

One evening we see a bear the kids named "Count Chocula" a nice chocolate brown bear. He was one of those bears that gotta look straight at you before your sure it wasn't a grizz...
I stalked to 80 ish yards and decided that the recovery was going to require a headlamp and let the bear go. My dog had reduced my headlamp to confetti a few months earlier and I hadn't bought a replacement yet.
As I'm watching him he gets my wind, walks slowly to a log, lays down on the log and looks at me.......ballsy !,,,,lol

the next day I bought a new headlamp, and one for each of the kids to help build up their future hunting kits!

we went back a couple days later and the "count" never showed up.

A week later I invite a local buddy from HBC to join the kids and I for a cruise!
as we are driving though the area I explain that the previous week we spotted "Count Chocula" riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight abouuuuuuuuuuuuuut oh, there he is!!!! EXACT same spot....to the foot of where he was last week.

Buddy and I put glass on him and we both agree that it looks solid!

As I'm stalking the wind is jumping around but im far enough to the side that he's not getting it. I remember thinking as the sun was shining on him......" He sure looks a lot lighter brown today than last week....hhhhmmm must be the sunlight vs shadows..."

i sneak to 60 yards and lay prone.....not wanting the bear to run, as it was quartering towards me I put the crosshairs between its neck and shoulder and when it dropped its head I let fly.
Bear dropped in its tracks, as I approached I could see it moving so put two in the chest to be humane!

kids were thrilled, my goof ball son saying " oh good dad you finally greased one" apparently they didn't appreciate it when I passed on the last 7 bears!!!

After the dirty work was done, we take a quick drive to see if we can find a shooter for buddy!!! A few hundred yards from where we just got this bear buddy says...."there's a bear looking right at us over there". I look out his window and see this Ballsy bear just laying on the grass slope 100 yards from the truck looking at us!!!!........HANG On!,,,,,,,I put my Bino's on the dark chocolate brown bear..... Shit.... That's "Count Chocula"

Buddy decides to pass because he's got a weeks holidays and a bear trip planned for that time.

Kids......gotta rename our bear "Count Chocula" is still alive.........in the end we decide on
"Milk Chocula"

Brambles
05-16-2015, 11:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/image.jpg1_zpsw6kd8doi.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Brambles77/media/image.jpg1_zpsw6kd8doi.jpg.html)

Brambles
05-16-2015, 11:58 AM
After skinning and washing the hide, got dirty on the recovery, he measured nose to tail 6'4"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/image.jpg2_zpsm9yv6f4m.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Brambles77/media/image.jpg2_zpsm9yv6f4m.jpg.html)

yota
05-16-2015, 12:23 PM
nice bear the color faze are so cool to see!!

DawsonCreedmoor
05-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Nice Color Bear! Love the plywood pic, all guys should be required to do this when giving out bear measurments lol

Ambush
05-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Very nice colour!! Too bad the kids didn't get to use their new headlamps though.

Three shots!?? Don't you normally just smother them with a tent??

srupp
05-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Great bear..love the color phased bears..
Srupp

Brambles
05-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Very nice colour!! Too bad the kids didn't get to use their new headlamps though.

Lol....bullets are cheaper than backpacking tents......and the last bear I tried smothering with a tent got away...

Whonnock Boy
05-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Weird, I'm not seeing the pics. Nice work though, and you should take a few more friends along with you if you are seeing that many bears. ;)

Brambles
05-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Hard to believe there is anywhere in BC that a bear hunt lasts longer than a day? Unless your picky of course!!

pg83
05-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Beauty colour on that one. As someone else mentioned, the plywood pic is great for scale.

Downwind
05-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Nice bear. Love the colour phase bears. Might have to make a trip to the mainland next spring to try and find one for myself.

Brambles
05-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Nice bear. Love the colour phase bears. Might have to make a trip to the mainland next spring to try and find one for myself.

No color phase on VI ?

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Nice work dad!! Gotta luv it when the kids put pressure on you to dump a bear.
My daughter did the same with me. "Put that bow down dad! Let's go kill a bear!"

Beautiful color.
I'll make sure I do the plywood thing next time. I've got a sheet trimmed down to 3x6'. He's going to be a giant! Lol.

SSS

Rackmastr
05-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Good looking bear! Love the colour phase bears!!! Missed a chance at a good one last year and still regretting it, and lost a really nice 6.5' cinamon to a shady taxidermy deal back when I was younger. That stung!

Congrats man! Headed out this coming weekend to look for one for myself.

Downwind
05-16-2015, 07:31 PM
No color phase on VI ?

Nope only black. If it's got colour it's a grizz.

swampthing
05-17-2015, 07:21 AM

Spit a bit of coffee out there! Nice bear.

Tīɡ
05-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Beautiful bear! I love the colour!

Rob Chipman
05-20-2015, 04:16 PM
That is a beauty color. Nice work.

Seeker
05-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Nice work dad!! Gotta luv it when the kids put pressure on you to dump a bear.
My daughter did the same with me. "Put that bow down dad! Let's go kill a bear!"

Beautiful color.
I'll make sure I do the plywood thing next time. I've got a sheet trimmed down to 3x6'. He's going to be a giant! Lol.

SSS

How do we know that the sheet in the pic hasn't been downsized?? :razz:

Great looking bear regardless. Well done dumping the chocolate!

05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
That's a nice bear!

Trigger Happy
05-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Good job bro, I also got a color phase and had to stare him in the face to ensure he wasn't a grizz also, good work :)

Foxton Gundogs
05-22-2015, 10:19 AM
No color phase on VI ?

The most color we get is a brown nose or a bit of white on the chest, the good thing is it's a reason to get away for a hunt.

TheProvider
05-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Beauty bear

Mik
05-24-2015, 08:24 AM
It's always Great to be out with the kids. Nice bear, congrats

REMINGTON JIM
05-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Congrats on a Beauty Colored Bear ! :smile: Good to see the Kids out hunting with you ! :wink: RJ

BCBear
05-24-2015, 09:40 AM
very nice colorphase ... like the mask he's wearing too!