PDA

View Full Version : Missing hunter-quesnel area~

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 01:49 PM
https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11245493_10154159981455190_2908815573765909981_n.j pg?oh=ab1674c412fc342cafc51fe24831ab99&oe=56077AA5

Missing person.

Vance Hartley aged:44 height: 6'4 weight: 350lbs.

Left to go hunting out near cottonwood area, umity pit. (Quesnel,BC)

Last seen wearing jeans, faded dark blue T-shirt, brown pocket style pull over hoody black skater style shoes.

Driving a 2005 blue dodge 1500. Will post pic in comments of truck.

This is extremely out of character for him not to contact his wife or not return when he says he will. He knows these woods like the back of his hand.

I don't believe he is lost but broken down or stuck.

Search plane is out looking, as well as multiple friends and family members who are familiar with these areas as well.

Have been looking since midnight May 13th.

I have contacted as many outdoor businesses I could think of who may have workers in the bush.

(FROM FACEBOOK)

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 02:27 PM
UPDATE: campers on Nylon lake road saw and spoke with Vance at 6 pm last night. Vance asked the wife if she could phone me and let me know that he was on his way home at that point. I'm assuming his phone was near dead at that point.
So maybe the focus should be on Nylon lake road and the 500

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Im guessing they mean 'Nyland Lake'...

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 02:59 PM
I think I saw him last night up there.

I met a blue dodge, single white male driver, that looks like the guy in your picture. Around 6pm.

I met him on the M road I believe, might've been on the 4900 though. He was headed east, away from Nyland Lake

I came up from Likely on the Kangaroo creek road and cut through the slash that comes out right by Labordais lake. It was easy going and I cut all the blowdown, so he shouldn't get stuck that way.

From where I met him on the road he could go over to Likely if he knows the way or he could loop back on the U-bet road off the 4900 and cut through the swift river and come out on the Barkerville hwy if he knows the way.

Hope that helps. Might have to gas up and go for a rip.

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 03:03 PM
I didn't see any other people anywhere I went other than a Red ford with a green jon-boat on the roof pulling a travel trailer by maeford Lake.

He might've went through Kangaroo and then tried to go around Maeford to barkerville too and got stuck in the snow. Pretty late in the day to run that loop though so I doubt it.

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 03:05 PM
There's no cell service anywhere up there either.

Does he have a VHF? I didn't notice an antenna on the truck.

LYKTOHUNT
05-14-2015, 03:09 PM
I think I saw him last night up there.

I met a blue dodge, single white male driver, that looks like the guy in your picture. Around 6pm.

I met him on the M road I believe, might've been on the 4900 though. He was headed east, away from Nyland Lake

Or if he went further west on the 4900 say heading back to town past Nyland Lake he could have went up the J Rd and tried to come back out via the Red Rd and A rd where it comes back out at the junction of the 2700/4900/500 and then back home down the hill to the bridge over the Quesnel.there is lots of rds through that detour to get lost/stuck/broke down.
I wonder if maybe he tried to head home via Green Mtn where it comes out in Kersley

I came up from Likely on the Kangaroo creek road and cut through the slash that comes out right by Labordais lake. It was easy going and I cut all the blowdown, so he shouldn't get stuck that way.

From where I met him on the road he could go over to Likely if he knows the way or he could loop back on the U-bet road off the 4900 and cut through the swift river and come out on the Barkerville hwy if he knows the way.

Hope that helps. Might have to gas up and go for a rip.

Or if he went further west on the 4900 say heading back to town past Nyland Lake he could have went up the J Rd and tried to come back out via the Red Rd and A rd where it comes back out at the junction of the 2700/4900/500 and then back home down the hill to the bridge over the Quesnel.there is lots of rds through that detour to get lost/stuck/broke down.
I wonder if maybe he tried to head home via Green Mtn where it comes out in Kersley

LYKTOHUNT
05-14-2015, 03:59 PM
I am just going to fuel up and go have a look up that way prob the A rd up to the J around there somewhere
If in mean time he is found try me on cell 255-2856, there is pockets of cell range up there

dbergen69
05-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Everybody please keep your eyes open for this guy.

This is from his wifes facebook post

Missing person. Vance Hartley aged:44 height: 6'4 weight: 350lbs. Left to go hunting out near cottonwood area, umity pit. (Quesnel,BC) Last seen wearing jeans,... faded dark blue T-shirt, brown pocket style pull over hoody black skater style shoes.
Driving a 2005 blue dodge 1500. Will post pic in comments of truck.
This is extremely out of character for my husband not to contact me or not return when he says he will. He knows these woods like the back of his hand. I don't believe he is lost but broken down or stuck.
Search plane is out looking, as well as multiple friends and family members who are familiar with these areas as well. Have been looking since midnight May 13th.
I have contacted as many outdoor businesses I could think of who may have workers in the bush.

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Don't know the A or J roads, but he was heading away from Quesnel on the M (Maude Lake) road after 6pm.

What side of quesnel does he live on? Might help in guessing what loop he would take?

I doubt green mountain. Unless he's from Kersley.
I went all through there the other day and the roads are all open.

I'd like a facebook update, or any update (I'm not a facebooker) so I know if I should load up and roll out tonight to help or if he's alrady been located

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Don't know the A or J roads, but he was heading away from Quesnel on the M (Maude Lake) road after 6pm.

What side of quesnel does he live on? Might help in guessing what loop he would take?

I doubt green mountain. Unless he's from Kersley.
I went all through there the other day and the roads are all open.

I'd like a facebook update, or any update (I'm not a facebooker) so I know if I should load up and roll out tonight to help or if he's alrady been located

Will let you know.

Thanks!

Wentrot
05-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Damn hope hes found safe

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Still not found.

From his wife

"A and j have search and rescue. Two planes flying around overhead. People searching since midnight. He knows his roads and all the little ways to get to places most people don't. He knows the roads far too well to be lost. My thoughts are he is injured or broke down or stuck"

ruger#1
05-14-2015, 05:47 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?117658-Missing-hunter-quesnel

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Just talking with a guy about it. Said he's scouting for a 515d leh for a buddy. I'd guess he took the u-bet through the swift.

Daybreak
05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Sounds like this fella has all the smarts he needs to be okay provide he didn't drop off the road somewhere and is injured. I hope this has a good outcome. Those locals stepping up are to be appreciated.

pronghorn
05-14-2015, 07:24 PM
This is confusing as the face book said umity pit road then it was the swift now the nyland lake. We were out on the swift today looking, I just hope he is ok.

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 07:44 PM
This is confusing as the face book said umity pit road then it was the swift now the nyland lake. We were out on the swift today looking, I just hope he is ok.

The umiti pit reference was in regards to the last cell phone "ping". It came off the tower there.

Jagermeister
05-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Okay, his cell pings Umity but everyone is searching south-east. You would think that his cell would have pinged off Dragon Mtn if he were east or south east. Might need to expand toward the Ahbau area.

Trigger Happy
05-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Any more info?

ElectricDyck
05-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Any word? Hard to believe they can't find a truck with planes....350 lbs and 44, hopefully it's not a jammer...hopefully he just got into a some minor mechanical trouble and is making his way back as I type, I'll have a drink to him showing up no worse for wear..

REMINGTON JIM
05-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Best of LUCK to him and Hopefully he will be found safe & sound . RJ

srupp
05-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Good on those that did take the time to look..lots of area heading into 5.15d..mechanical, fuel, lots of benign reasons...still cant sit for more than 30...40 minutes wish there was more I could do..qualified sar military search but unable to do more than peer at maps and Pray this has a successful outcome.
Srupp

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Rumor has it he has been found.

Stay tuned for details

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Just saw the picture of the truck, definitely the same truck.

Glad to hear he's been recovered. Guess I know what I'm not doing tomorrow

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Ok- confirmed by his wife that he has been found safe and sound.

Bugle M In
05-14-2015, 09:02 PM
good to hear!!! now let the dog and pony show begin:shock:
but really, glad to know he's alright.

Jagermeister
05-14-2015, 09:03 PM
That's very good news to hear. I would guess she is nipping a strip off the boy now.

Big Lew
05-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Ok- confirmed by his wife that he has been found safe and sound.

Been watching this event unfold with great interest and concern.
I'm too far away to be of much help but would like to extend a big THANKS to everyone
that helped in the search. Very good news that he's been found safe.

HarryToolips
05-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Good to hear...

Foxtail
05-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Where was he found?

LYKTOHUNT
05-14-2015, 09:14 PM
I just got back home from smashing around in that little Tracker, I talked to some guys that said he was or found himself at Cottonwood House

srupp
05-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Hmmm great news..perhaps a SPOT...and those that stepped up kudus..would really like to buy you guys a coffee..
Well done
Srr

LYKTOHUNT
05-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Met a couple of folks out there looking for him as well, I went because, first its the right thing to do as I know that area very well and I would hope that if i didnt come back there would be people looking for me

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
05-14-2015, 09:45 PM
This has been posted before on other threads concerning different circumstances and it is my sincere hope I'll post this again -

I love it when I come to a thread that poses a problem, especially one with this kind of potential for severity, that has been happily resolved by the time I read it!

This is great news. I am glad he's safe and sound, to be sure.

Thank You to all who went afield to search for the man. That is top notch behavior, most impressive, folks!

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 10:31 PM
I just got back home from smashing around in that little Tracker, I talked to some guys that said he was or found himself at Cottonwood House

]His truck broke down and he walked 38kms in to a residence

LYKTOHUNT
05-14-2015, 10:34 PM
]His truck broke down and he walked 38kms in to a residence
Thats a long stroll, glad he is fine, cant imagine what goes on in the wives head

Beaverhunter
05-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Thats a long stroll, glad he is fine, cant imagine what goes on in the wives head
He was 350lbs probably less now! Glad he made it home safe.mgoes to show a guy show give more detail as to where he is goin before he sets out.

The Dawg
05-14-2015, 10:43 PM
"Broke down' was the original report.

Seems he high-centered it.

Shows recovery gear (winch, jack all, etc) are potential life savers!

BimmerBob
05-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Glad to hear he made it out safely! Kudos to all those that helped in the search, great people all of you!

M.Dean
05-15-2015, 08:48 AM
]His truck broke down and he walked 38kms in to a residence Happy Day! And he walked 38 Km's out? I can't walk 38 feet without falling down on my face, I'd be real easy to find! I'd be the dead guy in the middle of the road, within 38 feet of my quad! Nice to see a happy ending to this, could have been much much worse!

pieter
05-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Now for a little humour truck problem would be first thing to come to mind since he was driving a dodge

Sofa King
05-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Now for a little humour truck problem would be first thing to come to mind since he was driving a dodge
yeah, but at least the dodge got him into the hills.
chev would have exploded when its computer sensed it had left the pavement.

Sofa King
05-15-2015, 09:22 AM
good to hear it wasnt too serious, like an injury in the hills or something.
simple truck problems is lucky.

bassplayer
05-15-2015, 09:24 AM
yeah, but at least the dodge got him into the hills.
chev would have exploded when its computer sensed it had left the pavement.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/540169_3912188040906_1913709804_n_zpseoshj0cp.jpg

Jagermeister
05-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Trust the dodge to get you out and leave you there. Wheels with Fallopian tubes.
At least the chev would have saved you the 38 KM walk.

Sofa King
05-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Trust the dodge to get you out and leave you there. Wheels with Fallopian tubes.
At least the chev would have saved you the 38 KM walk.
but that would have been 38 painful miles of having to ride in a chev.

Jagermeister
05-15-2015, 12:20 PM
but that would have been 38 painful miles of having to ride in a chev.
In response to what you wrote, "yeah, but at least the dodge got him into the hills. chev would have exploded when its computer sensed it had left the pavement. ", the chev, having exploded would have been a short walk back to pavement.

Drillbit
05-15-2015, 12:34 PM
They all break down at one point, that's why there's always used trucks for sale.

He should've been driving a big old 4x Huterite truck, they never get stuck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

toad
05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
The big huterite truck, was a chev....just saying.....

LYKTOHUNT
05-15-2015, 07:07 PM
What everyone's missing though Dodge, Ford or GM - at 6'4" and 350lbs, why didn't he just un-high center the truck with a shoulder?

Still, kidding aside, glad it turned out well and a BIG hearty kudo's to everyone who stepped forward to help out.
Even if I did find him, i dont think he would have fit in my slowzuki