PDA

View Full Version : Great method for an 'average' steak!

MB_Boy
05-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Have had this prep method tucked away for a while and when I had a look at the moose steak that came out of the freezer to thaw last night I figured I'd put it into action. The cut itself was definitely more of an average one and it turned out great!

Have a look at the link below as I am going to try this again.

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

I have some tins of herbed French sea salt that I used. Once the rinse was done I just added pepper as this was my first go round and I wasn't sure how salty the meat may stay. I think next time I'll use one of my Kauai coffee rubs just for a touch more flavour. I gave the meat a good rinse as noted and with the herbed sea salt it was just a nice all round lightly salted flavour....with some pepper for kick; definitely not salt overload in the slightest. (I am not a salt fiend....I get it's practicality in flavouring but don't like too much) Brushed with olive oil and the peppering, on to a hot grill cooked medium rare, erring towards the rare side and allowed to rest. ;)

The meat itself was fantastic in it's tenderness and with the water drawn out it was one of the better steaks I've had from this swamp donkey.

Definitely read through the process......and then further down the page the "salting science" behind it really does make sense. I love cooking BIG TIME and try all sorts of different ways of preparing meats; this definitely had my gal and I pleasantly surprised. :smile:

adriaticum
05-13-2015, 08:54 PM
You could also marinade in soya sauce over night

BimmerBob
05-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Great tip, thanks for sharing, I am definitely going to try this one soon!

MB_Boy
05-13-2015, 09:16 PM
You could also marinade in soya sauce over night

Or one can be creative as opposed to pulling the single recipe card out. :wink:

I use soy (sparingly) in part of a number of different marinades but wanted to try something different. I definitely do get tired of some of the various tenderizing 'liquids' such as soy, wine, red wine vinegar etc. etc.

elknut
05-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Great post ... I do this method also....The meat always comes out first class..