PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Terrain

Buck
04-14-2007, 05:50 PM
What should i be looking for? agricultural close to forest cover or do they live in the semi open forest with open areas, clearcuts?.I'm going up to Grandforks area next weekend and will probably just be scouting areas to hunt would prefer public land any suggestions.

Wildfoot
04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
This is my first turkey season too. I was hoping to hunt behind my house in 8-1 (west side of osoyoos lake) but from reading in here.. i dont think there will be any turkeys??? Any hints on where to look to find these birds?

If anyone wants to go out the weekend of the 20th for some turkey around osoyoos.. I would love someone to show me how to hunt these birds.

Chuck
04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't know if you'll find lots of info on this one. All I can say is what I've read and observed. I've never taken a turkey, but I would like to have a go at it before I push up posies. I understand that they do not like wind or windy areas. It bothers their senses, so don't look there. They like semi - open areas, not too thick and not too open for foraging, yet I've seen them run for cover into thick stuff. People like to feed them over winter, along with deer, so you'll see them more on private property and valley bottoms than way up in the bush. Down south they locate them in the evenings by driving around back roads and call with owl hoots or crow calls. This causes them to gobble and give away their roosting sites, so a hunt can be put on them the next morning. Chasing after them when located is useless - use jake & hen decoys and call the gobblers in. Use sporadic calling, overuse of the call will cause the toms to shy away, or get suspicious. Camo and concealment for hunt smart birds is a must. Use 12 guage with tight choke and heavy shot. I'm not sure how important water is to them - I've never heard it mentioned. And that's about all the help I can offer......Good Luck!

huntwriter
04-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Turkeys are fringe animals, like deer. Meaning they like the semi open areas close to cover, such as forests, agricultural areas, river bottoms and such. Anything that gives them a good view all around but at the same time permits them to seek cover to evade danger.

Normally turkeys like to roost in a tree that is elevated from the surrounding area, such as a ridge top. They prefer single large trees with sturdy branches that give them easy flight access. In the morning (at daybreak) turkeys fly from their roosting trees and work their way downhill to the feeding and watering areas. For traveling they prefer ridge tops with a gentle slope downward. Although turkeys do not drink a lot they prefer to feed and travel near water, such as creeks and small rivers. It is assumed that this gives them a measure of security from approaching predators.

Hope this info is useful to you and good luck.

Buck
04-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Thankyou for your replys.that is great info we will be going on a scouting trip this weekend.Cheers

mark
04-15-2007, 07:49 PM
:lol: I just got home, we bagged 2 toms today, Ill upload pics shortly here! :lol:

Rackmastr
04-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Awesome Mark...thats too cool! I really cant wait to get out there and kill some turkeys!!!

BlacktailStalker
04-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Sweet, lucky guy ! When's dinner!?

300H&H
04-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey Mark I just emailed you but it did not go thru.
Was that you just off Hwy 33 today ?
I was in the white F-150 with my dad.
If it was not you then we saw nothing.
But if it was you we saw 2 hens & alot of deer.
Oh, and 1 C.O.

DID ANYONE ELSE SEE BIRDS TODAY ?

Im going out Wednesday to try again.

Derp
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a question. What is the closest area for turkeys from the lowermainland?:confused:

Mckinney Creek Adventures
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I have a question. What is the closest area for turkeys from the lowermainland?:confused:

East side of the south Okanagan... MU 8-1. Although you will have better luck as you move East. It would be worth travelling at least to the Rock Creek area.

Derp
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info! :)