PDA

View Full Version : Bear Fat

Brambles
05-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Been years since I made sausage and I'm wondering how dank bear fat is and if I s hould go nuts on removing it?

i shot a bear last night and deboning it for sausage, it has a nice layer of fat that looks nice, I hear how good bear fat is if you render it into lard!

think it's gonna ruin the bear sausage by using some of it in the sausage?

bighornbob
05-13-2015, 01:14 PM
i shit a bear last night

I would have just flushed twice:)

Eastbranch
05-13-2015, 01:17 PM
The question is always: what was it eating?
http://honest-food.net/2014/02/21/bear-fat-buttermilk-biscuits-recipe/

MichelD
05-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Rendered down it makes great deep frying doughnut oil.

Brambles
05-13-2015, 01:33 PM
The fat is white as snow, 10km from the nearest house and stuffed full of greenery!!

absolutly NO smell to the meat or fat!!!! Seems like a shame to cut out all the "bear" fat and substitute "pork"

Eastbranch
05-13-2015, 02:02 PM
You're probably fine! I used all the fat off my august caribou and it was great. I trimmed from my moose this year because it was pretty chalky.

Steeleco
05-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Seems like a shame to cut out all the "bear" fat and substitute "pork" Then don't!! The only thing is bear fat as you know will melt at a really low temp so it may cook out of the sausage while cooking or curing and leave the end product still dry? I don't usually worry about the white fat if it's going to end up in the grinder, the yellow fat. Get rid of every last bit!!

The Dawg
05-13-2015, 03:48 PM
i shit a bear last night

http://i.imgur.com/IaYLfoU.gif

nuadixion
05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Then don't!! The only thing is bear fat as you know will melt at a really low temp so it may cook out of the sausage while cooking or curing and leave the end product still dry? I don't usually worry about the white fat if it's going to end up in the grinder, the yellow fat. Get rid of every last bit!!

bear fat melts to fast....drips and burns on bbq....I would add some but you need to use some pork fat...(don't like it much either...but gotta do it)
Try doing it in small batches and see how it works....adjust fat mixture accordingly.