PDA

View Full Version : February cow elk question

rides bike to work
05-12-2015, 07:47 PM
I put in a leh for feb cow elk in a area I am confident in finding a cow if I don't get my bull in the regular season.

The I heard that in February the calf is quite developed in the cow and A story about a guy who shot a cow in February and when the cut the calf out it was trying to stand up. This particular hunter said he would never put in for that late of a draw again.

Has anyone else had this experience and what are your thoughts on the ethics.

i know it's coming so Ill be the first one (recipes?)

all kidding aside this doesn't sound like a pleasant experience

srupp
05-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Hmm my cow elk 2 years ago harvested in February had a well developed fetus.
Srupp

Sitkaspruce
05-12-2015, 08:42 PM
I highly doubt that a calf born in early June is developed enough to stand up in Feb or even move around.

And if you don't like it, then shoot it in December, that way you will not have to worry about stuff like that.

Crazy what people will say to get attention....Not you rides bike, but the guy who told you that...

Cheers

SS

odie1830
05-12-2015, 08:48 PM
I shot a cow elk 2 years ago at the end of January and the fetus was the size of 2 large potatoes and is in the embryonic sack .

rides bike to work
05-12-2015, 08:51 PM
good to here your guys experiences.My source as a bit of a quack

Daybreak
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
I go out to fill the freezer. I remember the first deer I ever shot, 28 years ago, a beautiful 4 point mule deer. Fifty yards off a skidder trail. He bounded off and dropped over a ridge out of sight.

I followed him out and found him at the bottom of a steep narrow ravine. I climbed down and looked at him laying lifeless. " Is this what this is all about, is this all there is? " I asked myself. I felt sad about him but went about gutting and getting him out. 4 hours later my whole perspective had changed as I lugged and tugged him into the truck. It was a lot of work and I had earned the meat.

I have never looked back since then. We, as hunters put a huge amount of time , effort and energy into hunting and it is rarely easy. If there is a season and an unborn calf is part of the package so be it. As long as nothing is wasted, you need not feel bad. You earn every bit of it.

By the way, he's on my wall and I remember it all like yesterday.

Caribou_lou
05-12-2015, 09:31 PM
The I heard that in February the calf is quite developed in the cow and A story about a guy who shot a cow in February and when the cut the calf out it was trying to stand up. This particular hunter said he would never put in for that late of a draw again.

I don't imagine the calf would be trying to stand. I believe when the Cow dies the fetus dies with it.

I shot one February 17th this year and it had a calf inside. Some of the best meat I've eaten! Put in for the tag again this year. Hope I draw. Nice to have in my pocket if work gets slow.

f350ps
05-12-2015, 10:12 PM
I don't imagine the calf would be trying to stand. I believe when the Cow dies the fetus dies with it.

I shot one February 17th this year and it had a calf inside. Some of the best meat I've eaten! Put in for the tag again this year. Hope I draw. Nice to have in my pocket if work gets slow.
So what did ya make out of it, a little rolled roast? :) K

tadpole
05-13-2015, 06:14 AM
In Serbia farmers have this tradition of aborting mature fetuses from pregnant saw in order to it them. It is delicacy they say.
What about your elk fetus?..... just asking.