PDA

View Full Version : Which Mineral Atrractants

Sniperdan
05-12-2015, 03:35 PM
I have access to a piece of property and I was thinking about putting out some mineral licks in order to attract and keep deer on the property. Anybody have any luck with these attractants and if so what ones work or don't work and why? Also when is the best time to put them out? I see that cabelas offers a lot of different options. I was thinking about trying the sugarbeet salt blocks. Any advice would be appreciated. Please only comment if you have direct experience. Thanks.

mikek blacktail
05-12-2015, 03:37 PM
salt ,rack rock and glory by rackstacker are my faves

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 04:20 PM
if you know your piece of land is fairly private, you should plant a small plot of deer food.
would hold and attract the deer alot better probably.

hardnocks
05-12-2015, 04:26 PM
I have used salt but found it only worked in the summer and early fall . I had a spot, deer had dug a hole 2 feet deep and 4 feet across.

Brew
05-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Water softening salt works great. Put it out and had elk and deer the next day. They eat it like popcorn. Find a wet spot to put it so that it melts into the soil.

walks with deer
05-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Water softer works great.
Set a camera.

hunter1947
05-13-2015, 05:26 AM
Water softer works great.
Set a camera.

X2 as for the blue alkaline salt blocks..

Dachande
05-13-2015, 07:21 AM
I agree that all of these would work, but remember that animals are also driven by other needs. Pay attention to summer grounds, impacts of the plot of land such as predators & other pressure that would move the animals off. I'd use some cameras to check who is using the minerals when. Also when you place the mineral, pay attention to the wind & travel corridors for you to get in position to hunt that area. There is no use to have a perfect spot & not have any reasonable way to hunt it. Good luck.