PDA

View Full Version : Kam Lake Sheep

khoffnbud
05-12-2015, 11:09 AM
So has anybody on here heard about the six rams shot up dewdrop six weeks ago?

monasheemountainman
05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
no do you have some details?

khoffnbud
05-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Here's what I overheard while I was in the powder keg last week, CO was talking to the guys at the counter saying that a native from chu chua band in Barriere shot six real big Rams and then only took the legs to make ceremonial shakers and such. Said there's nithing they can do at this point and that it was left with the band to deal with.

.264winmag
05-12-2015, 12:37 PM
I hope it's just a rumour...

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 12:45 PM
what is wrong, is that there is nothing tey can do about it.
this wasnt about feeding the band or anything.
and even if it were, why target a small herd of sheep? go get some deer or a moose. hell, have they never heard of raising a cow?
this was another case of slaughter for indian ceremonies, just like killing bald eagles.

khoffnbud
05-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I hope it's just a rumour...

Pretty tough when it came right from the horses mouth

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 12:48 PM
really sad that our government will never grow a set of balls.

Wentrot
05-12-2015, 02:35 PM
really sad that our government will never grow a set of balls.

This......It seems all anyone can do is dream about change. We need an A team to be formed....although that would just be called "racist vigilantes"

boxhitch
05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
If the A stands for Apologetic , we have that team

Get used to it , new traditional uses are cropping up all the time.

hardnocks
05-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Back in the 70s british Columbians had a couple of protest days . can`t remember who organized it , but most people stayed home from work 2 days we did it . I am not sure if it worked.
Might be worth a try it would sure make the liberals take notice if everyone stayed home for a couple days.

walks with deer
05-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Fines should be levied for wasted meat.

Sensitivity of harvest should be a factor.

Apolonius
05-12-2015, 05:45 PM
People that don't want to do anything about it ,hide behind "our hands are tied behind our backs".They are full of it, just like the politicians.The COs are in the wrong and are using excuses ,not to do anything.Wasting meat is a reason for arrests or fines.The bands and the chiefs see it as screwing the white man ,so it is ok with them.The great spirit ,put them here to take care of the land or destroy it?Shame on all the Indians and the politicians that allow all this to happen.

Bugle M In
05-12-2015, 06:25 PM
if it is true...it should be posted in every paper in BC, so that everyone can read that they really aren't stewards of the land..

khoffnbud
05-12-2015, 06:31 PM
That's the real piss off, this happened 6 weeks ago and it's been all hush hush

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 06:41 PM
That's the real piss off, this happened 6 weeks ago and it's been all hush hush

yup.
if they didn't know who did it, it would have been all over the news, that some dirtbag hunter must have poached some sheep.
but they knew the details of this from the start and kept it under wraps.
the CO's should be ashamed, and one must wonder what else they have used their "discretion" on over the years.

goatdancer
05-12-2015, 08:10 PM
yup.
if they didn't know who did it, it would have been all over the news, that some dirtbag hunter must have poached some sheep.
but they knew the details of this from the start and kept it under wraps.
the CO's should be ashamed, and one must wonder what else they have used their "discretion" on over the years.

I don't think it's " discretion ". The crown prosecutors are the ones who won't handle the cases because they've been told so by their political masters.

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I don't think it's " discretion ". The crown prosecutors are the ones who won't handle the cases because they've been told so by their political masters.

that's true, it's basically a waste of their time, as charges would go nowhere.
but, it is their discretion, in that they aren't publicizing it and choosing to bury it.

REMINGTON JIM
05-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Way WORST to waste 6 sheep meat carcases then 6 BEARS and yet don't hear anything about it from the flower sniffers ! :mad: WTF is going on ? :mad: Indians and Politicians - Whats the Real difference ? :frown: RJ

srupp
05-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Way WORST to waste 6 sheep meat carcases then 6 BEARS and yet don't hear anything about it from the flower sniffers ! :mad: WTF is going on ? :mad: Indians and Politicians - Whats the Real difference ? :frown: RJ

Thanks RJ ..well said ...pathetic downward spiral.
Steven

Bugle M In
05-12-2015, 08:49 PM
The difference is....them and us...meaning they hold OUR money! which we are forced to handover each year to both of them.

HarryToolips
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
if it is true...it should be posted in every paper in BC, so that everyone can read that they really aren't stewards of the land..
This exactly....hey OP, do you know the CO well enough to convince him to make this atrocity public?

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 09:07 PM
This exactly....hey OP, do you know the CO well enough to convince him to make this atrocity public?

it's been six weeks he's been keeping this a whisper.
I'd say he's not too interested in making a big deal about it.
it may be their protocol, and not his fault personally.

huntcoop
05-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Can you imagine if a white guy did this :shock:

Liveforthehunt
05-12-2015, 10:45 PM

It wouldn't just be all over the news... fines and jail time maybe as well as heavily frowned upon... hmm wonder why some people have strong feelings in some regards towards some of the crap they can get away with. Hell most of us have to wait 200 years to get that draw if we're lucky! :shock:

khoffnbud
05-12-2015, 11:40 PM

No I don't know him well, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to overhear it

Sofa King
05-13-2015, 12:07 AM
and especially to just make some rattles.
they will probably be used at the kamloops pow-wow this summer.
hope their head-dresses dont need refurbished, or the eagle population will be next.

.264winmag
05-13-2015, 05:14 AM
Unbelievable that this goes unnoticed. Here I thought sheep had more rights than humans, not for some people I guess... This should go public!

blacklab
05-13-2015, 06:25 AM
I'm going to call BS on this one!
Do you really think six sheep carcasses wouldn't be found by somebody with a camera.
You know they wouldn't be hidden or far from easy access.

.264winmag
05-13-2015, 07:26 AM
Do you really think six sheep carcasses wouldn't be found by somebody with a camera.
You know they wouldn't be hidden or far from easy access.
Ya that's one way to look at it! But it came from the horses mouth. Wish I had found em...

russm86
05-13-2015, 08:32 AM
khoffnbud, did you happen to catch the name of the CO? Was it Van Damme? You can PM me if you like.

khoffnbud
05-13-2015, 10:00 AM
khoffnbud, did you happen to catch the name of the CO? Was it Van Damme? You can PM me if you like.

I didn't, but it wasn't van damme either

boxhitch
05-13-2015, 10:14 AM
You know they wouldn't be hidden or far from easy access.So what makes you think there are no pictures or that somebody doesn't know more about this issue than is on FB ?

Gateholio
05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
The thing is, something CAN be done about this sort of thing.

It's called social media. All it takes is some pictures and a true statement and it will get spread around enough that people will get sick of it.

Politicians and crown counsel can't do anything, but the public can put pressure on the band. Enough pressure and things start to change.

Many people believe it's okay for a guy to lose his job for yelling something rude at a soccer game, I wonder what they think of hacking off a few parts of bighorns?

Whonnock Boy
05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
I was thinking about this last night, and how it relates to my interfering with a lawful hunt situation. It took numerous emails to the CO, and more than a year before it was dealt with to my satisfaction. I even went higher up the food chain. In this instance, maybe it is in our best interest to first, find out if this is in fact a documented case a wanton waste. Second, contact the Conservation service expressing our disgust with demands of action. I don't believe I have ever heard of us resident hunters doing this before. Just a thought....

Apolonius
05-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Where does it say that an Indian can kill an animal and leave all the meat but take only the legs for some real or imaginary ceremony?Is it in the Indian act?Because all i hear is they can do this or that,the politicians can't do this or that.This is a real question.I am not trying to pull anyones chain.

Sofa King
05-13-2015, 07:53 PM
get GOABC on this.
they have friends high up in the government.

Sofa King
05-13-2015, 07:56 PM
someone should ask that band who was complaining about the grizzly trophy hunting.
they have a pic of them with a skinned, headless grizzly carcass, and were sooooo upset over the waste by leaving the body.
ask them how it's any different than this?

blu-nsr
05-14-2015, 04:33 AM
just a quick question here hunters.... I have no knowledge of the area, however, are the sheep near this lake that desensitized to humans that a rifle shot wouldn't scare the band to the next mountain range? It took me six YEARS of hard hunting (and then some) to harvest my first ram, and at the shot (neck shot at 20yds on the run, yeah that's right) the rest of the rams effectively flew away!

BigfishCanada
05-14-2015, 06:36 AM
The sheep are pretty used to people and trucks. if this happened its most likely he drove up to them, I saw a few monsters up there last time i was and i hope this isnt true

boxhitch
05-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Or maybe it was silent , you know , a traditional bow ?

emerson
05-14-2015, 10:22 AM
The officers in the field are usually not the problem, same as the RCMP. Generally it is the higher supervisor/political/beaurocrats who don't want to deal with the problem issues but still like cashing a bigger pay cheque that the rank and file members. Funny thing is, the COs and RCMP members get terribly mistreated by their bosses, but have to stay quiet or suffer a dead career. Ok when you are young and single, but a bit tougher when you have responsibilities and not many other career skills. Of course the first rule of those orgs is "Don't criticize the org".

argyle1
05-16-2015, 01:06 PM
it's been six weeks he's been keeping this a whisper.
I'd say he's not too interested in making a big deal about it.
it may be their protocol, and not his fault personally.

your dam right it's his fault personally

Steve W
05-17-2015, 06:38 AM
Maybe he was trying to get it out in the public domain by talking about it at a gun shop? Can't always go to the media directly, but it's out there now on a forum where people can talk about it. Might have been the plan all along.

Wrayzer
05-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Or maybe it was silent , you know , a traditional bow ?

LOL. thanks for the laugh, Box.

Wild one
05-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Don't know what went on with these sheep or the CO involved but I know for a fact there is CO's and Bio's who are frustrated about having there hands tied when it comes to these kind of issues.

Most of the time all they can do is talk to the band and hope it stops. It is not that they want to take this root but instead are stuck following protocol. Some try to make a difference early in their career but have lost their fight from lack of results in there attempts.

The problems go higher then CO's with these issues

Whonnock Boy
05-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Can you verify as to the validity of the "story", because really, that's all this is until there is an official statement authenticating the chain of events? Not knocking the OP, just telling it how it is.

Maybe he was trying to get it out in the public domain by talking about it at a gun shop? Can't always go to the media directly, but it's out there now on a forum where people can talk about it. Might have been the plan all along.

boxhitch
05-17-2015, 09:21 AM
I know for a fact there is CO's and Bio's who are frustrated about having there hands tied when it comes to these kind of issues.Not much sense in raising the fight if Crown Counsel doesn't want to see such cases.
Going to the problem and educating about conservation concerns is a good alternative , not sure that would even be tried over a few rams.

Videos and pictures, names and faces , public and social media, those are the tools that can work.

khoffnbud
05-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Can you verify as to the validity of the "story", because really, that's all this is until there is an official statement authenticating the chain of events? Not knocking the OP, just telling it how it is.

Can I verify it? No, I wrote what I overheard in the powder keg on here. That's all I got.

Whonnock Boy
05-17-2015, 10:33 AM
I quoted, and asked steve as it is my understanding that he is a CO. Sorry for the confusion.
Can I verify it? No, I wrote what I overheard in the powder keg on here. That's all I got.

M.Dean
05-17-2015, 11:27 AM
I don't know anyone, Native or Non Native that would kill 6 of those ram's to make some God dam rattles! If, this story is true, it strikes me as odd out of all the members, and guests on here, that only one person has heard anything what so ever about 6 Kamloops lake rams being killed by some Native? I'm not saying Mr. Khoffnbud is spreading unfounded rumors, maybe the person he heard saying this had it all wrong, make it up, hates Natives, I simply don't know, I wasn't there to hear it. If ever it does come to light that there was 6 rams killed, no matter who did it, they should be put down like the rabid, sick dog's they are! I'm in the Powder Keg lots, and have yet to hear anyone mention the killing of the 6 rams, so I think I'll put this down as a "Rumor", until it's proven "Beyond the shadow of a Doubt" it has occurred, and who did it!

khoffnbud
05-17-2015, 06:14 PM
I don't know anyone, Native or Non Native that would kill 6 of those ram's to make some God dam rattles! If, this story is true, it strikes me as odd out of all the members, and guests on here, that only one person has heard anything what so ever about 6 Kamloops lake rams being killed by some Native? I'm not saying Mr. Khoffnbud is spreading unfounded rumors, maybe the person he heard saying this had it all wrong, make it up, hates Natives, I simply don't know, I wasn't there to hear it. If ever it does come to light that there was 6 rams killed, no matter who did it, they should be put down like the rabid, sick dog's they are! I'm in the Powder Keg lots, and have yet to hear anyone mention the killing of the 6 rams, so I think I'll put this down as a "Rumor", until it's proven "Beyond the shadow of a Doubt" it has occurred, and who did it!

I'm not saying it's not a rumor, very well could be hence my first post seeing if anyone else had any info about it

Remmy
05-17-2015, 07:01 PM
This was an actual event, however three rams(Not Six) were shot at least three months ago near the Savona Cememtery. This was not for any other purpose than $$. A fourth ram had to be put down within a day or two not positive if it was related or?? All were Mature Rams:cry:

M.Dean
05-18-2015, 07:26 AM
This was an actual event, however three rams(Not Six) were shot at least three months ago near the Savona Cememtery. This was not for any other purpose than $$. A fourth ram had to be put down within a day or two not positive if it was related or?? All were Mature Rams:cry: Were you there?