PDA

View Full Version : Hunters fined for killing black bears in prohibited areas

Ohwildwon
05-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Two bears killed illegally in separate incidents...
http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/hunters-fined-for-killing-black-bears/Content?oid=2647837

Found this link on CO facebook page...

I guess Mountain Flem, (as we like to call it) 107.1 read this story incorrectly on air yesterday...

Although the article doesn't mention that it is spring Bear season specifically...

MichelD
05-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Okay. Now it is a little clearer.

boxhitch
05-12-2015, 01:13 PM
The black bear’s carcass was seized and the individuals were issued tickets for unlawful possession of dead wildlife and operating a motor vehicle in a closed area. Still not so sure of this one
The bear was shot during an open season in an area open to hunting and if the hunter was tagged up , the kill was legal.
I could see where it gets confiscated due to the involvement in a trespass charge , but why the separate charge of unlawful possession. I'm sure it is spelled out somewhere ....

Fisher-Dude
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I could see where it gets confiscated due to the involvement in a trespass charge , but why the separate charge of unlawful possession. I'm sure it is spelled out somewhere ....

If a regulation is broken (access closure in this case) to kill the animal, possession of it is illegal under the Wildlife Act, per 33(2).

Possession of wildlife
33 (1) A person commits an offence if the person has live wildlife in his or her personal possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

(2) A person commits an offence if the person has dead wildlife or a part of any wildlife in his or her possession except as authorized under a licence or permit or as provided by regulation.

Steeleco
05-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Just going from the picture and the article, they drove in an unapproved area, didn't say they can't hunt on foot or even on a bike?

boxhitch
05-12-2015, 04:33 PM
except as authorized under a licenceErgo my ?? about the first case. The area is open for hunting, and if hunters were licensed and tagged ...?
Makes sense though if the license is null and void after any associated offense .