PDA

View Full Version : Bears Poached in Squawmish or Whistler?

Foxtail
05-11-2015, 09:45 AM
The goofs on 107.1 keep saying 2 bears wwere poached last week and the hunters were caught and fined... The "expert" they quoted said hunting for bears is closed because the bears are mating right now and that any hunting of bears should be reported... WTF? According to the regs its open season for April 01 to June 15... I kinda want to call in but they probably wont even listen.

russm86
05-11-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't think mating really starts until end of May or early June either... Though maybe earlier down at the coast I guess?

walks with deer
05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Be careful in the sea to ski corridor.

I have been harassed for having a bear in my truck.
Pulled over 6 times.

Some granola saw it in the box at the gas station.

303savage
05-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Some granola saw it in the box at the gas station

Don't you wish people would mined their on business on things they know nothing about.

adriaticum
05-11-2015, 10:44 AM
The goofs on 107.1 keep saying 2 bears wwere poached last week and the hunters were caught and fined... The "expert" they quoted said hunting for bears is closed because the bears are mating right now and that any hunting of bears should be reported... WTF? According to the regs its open season for April 01 to June 15... I kinda want to call in but they probably wont even listen.

Well they can say what ever they want because nobody is challenging them.
There is no evidence on any of their social media that they said anything about bears.

J_T
05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Yup, there you go. A lack of CO's and now everyone becomes a CO and can report anything they feel is not within their personal ethic. The law becomes irrelevant. Ignorance to the max.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?117481-BC-CO-s-Endangered

j270wsm
05-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Call them.....what's the worst that will happen. Maybe they'll put you on the air and people will be told the truth

Drillbit
05-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Don't you wish people would mined their on business on things they know nothing about.

Social Programming at it's finest.

Caribou_lou
05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Everyone head to that area and harvest some bears!

Some of the best hunting is early June for big boars. The social picture friendly females bring the big guys out of the thick brush. No different than moose in the rut. Those ladies are nothing but trouble!

charlie_horse
05-11-2015, 01:43 PM
We tried this weekend but couldn't connect.

ajeatoo
05-12-2015, 08:59 AM
If you are referring to a certain radio station I heard them report that hunting black bears is illegal for mating season etc right now also. That was yesterday morning. I connected with them via fb messenger and informed them that in actual fact it was legal to hunt black bears right now and also told them to please check their facts before reporting false information. I told them we have enough people who hate on hunters and are misinformed, we don't need to fuel that fire! I gave them a few screen shots from the hunt buddy app showing the open season dates etc. they thanked me for the information and made a correction on air retracting what they initially said, and clarified that it is legal to hunt black bears however certain areas are off limits which is true.

Still annoying to to have had to correct a news reported on such a simple fact, how hard would have been for them to research that before reporting it?? Obviously they didn't do any research.

Got my first bear this past Saturday in Squamish btw, spent last night grinding it all up for burger! Hubby got his bear two weeks ago, also in Squamish. 😊

MB_Boy
05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Well done ajeatoo! :cool:

Bear
05-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Ya I haven't had any problems out there yet. But I can see that it might be a problem area. The few hikers I have come across were pretty good at staying out of my way. But what were they going to say to a guy holding a .300 Ha.

DawsonCreedmoor
05-12-2015, 09:46 AM
This is what they referring to I'm sure,

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/hunters-fined-for-killing-black-bears/Content?oid=2647837

adriaticum
05-12-2015, 09:58 AM
So my question is did these guys kill a bear where hunting is not allowed?
Or did they go with their vehicles where vehicles are not allowed?

The way it looks to me it's the latter.

MichelD
05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
"So my question is did these guys kill a bear where hunting is not allowed?
Or did they go with their vehicles where vehicles are not allowed?"

In Pemberton meadows it is hunting with shot only and besides they were on private property.

At Elaho that is a MV closed area. Pretty out-of-the way, either the C.O. was patrolling (and I know the guy, he's hard core) or somebody reported them.

Moose63
05-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Why display the bear in the first place?

I remember as a kid, it would be a badge of honour to have a critter draped over your vehicle as you drove into town. You don't see that too much today.

I certainly don't.....

adriaticum
05-12-2015, 10:52 AM
"So my question is did these guys kill a bear where hunting is not allowed?
Or did they go with their vehicles where vehicles are not allowed?"

In Pemberton meadows it is hunting with shot only and besides they were on private property.

At Elaho that is a MV closed area. Pretty out-of-the way, either the C.O. was patrolling (and I know the guy, he's hard core) or somebody reported them.

Ok, so Elaho is closed to MV but it's not closed to hunting. So they have a traffic violation, not poaching violation.
If they are going to tack on poaching along with a traffic, why not add illegal possession of a firearm too.

So the article says the area is closed beyond 41 KM of the Elaho.

The Regs say "beyond the bridge crossing at 50.5 mile of the Elaho G-Main Forest Service Road (FSR). "

Something doesn't add up.

MichelD
05-12-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm sure the regulations are accurate. Whether the journalist got it right or not, well it doesn't sound like it does it?

I'm a journalist. It's easy to make a mistake when you are in a hurry on deadline.

Anyway, it's closed to motor vehicles. It is a closure in the hunting regulations. If you drive in there and hunt if they catch you they'll charge you.

Foxtail
05-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks ajeatoo, I wanted to call in but I was at work at the time. They way they reported it on the radio station was that the bears were poached because bear hunting is closed right now and anyone hunting bear should be reported. I was working so I did not hear the correction. It sounded like they had a "biologist" or some other "expert" actually saying this.

russm
05-12-2015, 11:53 AM
People are ao sensitive these days it's ridiculous, someone probably saw a dead bear and freaked out saying it was poached, no different than having to have my ammo put in a brown paper bag before leaving the store so nobody sees it and freaks out.

MichelD
05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
As the news story in the Pique indicated, there were tickets and fines applied to two parties for illegal activities, so whether or not anyone was offended by the sight of a dead bear is not really part of the equation.

russm
05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
My post was aimed at "walks with deer" about the harassment because of having a bear in his truck, not sure why it didn't quote it :s

walks with deer
05-12-2015, 05:20 PM
My post was before I new they were in restricted areas.sea to sky is easy bear hunting but you can find your self in a Grey zone pretty easy.
And can get phoned in even easier even when legal.

I hunted that region every spring the last 10 years.
Last year seemed to stressful probably won't be back kinda sad.

bandit
05-12-2015, 05:35 PM
So the COs added a charge of unlawful possession of dead wildlife because they broke a rule about using a vehicle in a vehicle closed area.

On that basis is unlawful possession of wildlife a catch all for every single rule infraction (out of season, not cutting tag properly, over bag limit, doe in buck season, mule doe in whitetail season etc etc etc)??

walks with deer
05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
I would say so.

The co in sea to sky is very aggressive with bear hunters and young hunters.
Even though he spends his life with bear calls.
Maybe they feed him a lot of ot and wants to keep them around.

MichelD
05-12-2015, 05:53 PM
"The co in sea to sky is very aggressive with bear hunters and young hunters."

Yup. Stopped me and when he found I had a bear demanded to see proof of the sex of the bear.

I said you are not required by the regs to save evidence of the sex of the bear.

He replied that he wanted to make sure I had not shot a sow with cubs.

I had discarded the hide, but had in fact left the family jewels attached to a hindquarter just in case I ran into him.

Gateholio
05-12-2015, 05:56 PM
SOunds like one was using a vehicle in a MV closed area and the other was on private land without permission.