PDA

View Full Version : Man may have been killed by a bear in northern B.C.

Ohwildwon
05-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Lone wolf and one black bear found next to body near Mackenzie on Sunday..

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/have+been+killed+bear+northern/11045261/story.html

Any one local to Mackenzie here anything on this?

Mudzbogger
05-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Strange.... I'm on my way up through there and was passed by a CO south of Quesnel who appeared to be in a hurry. I did catch him fueling and letting his hound out and spoke to him briefly. His destination was Mackenzie and his dog was definitely a tracker...

BigfishCanada
05-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Oh man that sucks, it will be some tough times for his family im sure

Ranger95
05-11-2015, 08:24 AM
After reading Bear attacks: The deadly truth - by Gary Shelton, I view Black bears completely differently now.

Poor guy, it's going to be tough for his family and friends...

nicktrehearne
05-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Sorry for this family's loss. From what I saw the persons sister write on another page, he was not a hunter and the bear had dragged him out of camp after he fell asleep at the fire.

DarekG
05-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Tragic, my condolences to his family.

Why can't they release more details that might help others avoid this? Was he camping alone? Was he at a family camp site, or did he hike off into the wilderness? How did he store his food?

Buckzilla
05-11-2015, 11:16 AM
After reading Bear attacks: The deadly truth - by Gary Shelton, I view Black bears completely differently now.

Poor guy, it's going to be tough for his family and friends...

completely agree. His books are very informative, and give good perspective on Black bears

The Dawg
05-11-2015, 12:05 PM
He was camping...apparently fell asleep by the fire.

Attack happened so quick his dog didnt even wake up.

Campsite was clean and food stored properly

srupp
05-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Hmmm story hasnt been fully revealed...just as possible he had a mi? Natural causes and bear was just scavenging? Same event? Blackcreek 4 years ago..but predatory behavior is still possible...the scene would halp as will autopsy and tox.
Sad
Steven

caddisguy
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
srupp I imagine that is a possibility, though I think an autopsy could likely determine if damage from the bear was postmortem. There were no defensive wounds, so it either happened fast or he did have a medical issue. The part about the dog not waking up when he was dragged off 500M from the camp confuses me. I'm not sure if it is an assumption or if there was someone else there to observe that... if there was someone there to note that the dog didn't wake up, perhaps they can say for sure that he was sleeping by the fire. His sister was kind enough to post details which have yet to be published in a news article. I am sure more will come out in the coming days/weeks.

Disappointed to see the typical anti-human bear-apologists commenting on The Province article, blaming encroachment and suggesting that putting down animals that have been feeding on humans is wrong... sigh

DarekG
05-11-2015, 03:27 PM
There was an update to the story, it has been confirmed the bear did kill the 27 year old man. :-(

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-139604-3-.htm#139604

The B.C. Coroners Service has confirmed the identity of a male who died following an attack by a bear near Mackenzie on Sunday.
He was Daniel Ward Folland O'Connor, 27, of Mackenzie.
O'Connor and his fiancée were camping in a small campground near the Parsnip River off the West Forest Service Road, about 10 kilometres from Mackenzie.
On Saturday night, O'Connor was sleeping outside near a firepit while his fiancée slept in their motorhome. After getting up in the morning, the fiancée realized something was wrong and went for help.
O'Connor was deceased at the scene.
RCMP and Conservation Officers confirmed the injuries were consistent with a black bear attack.
The animal believed responsible for the attack was located and destroyed.
The B.C. Coroners Service and RCMP continue to investigate the death. The family of the deceased has been notified of his death.

So sad. I can't even imagine how his fiancee felt after something like this.

adriaticum
05-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Hmmm story hasnt been fully revealed...just as possible he had a mi? Natural causes and bear was just scavenging? Same event? Blackcreek 4 years ago..but predatory behavior is still possible...the scene would halp as will autopsy and tox.
Sad
Steven

I agree. His girlfriend never heard any commotion just woke up and found him dead.
Something ain't right.

caddisguy
05-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Such a terrible tragedy.

caddisguy
05-11-2015, 03:32 PM
I agree. His girlfriend never heard any commotion just woke up and found him dead.
Something ain't right.

I don't know if she found him. He was dragged 500M from camp. 300lb bear and sleeping human... not much commotion involved.

adriaticum
05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
I don't know if she found him. He was dragged 500M from camp. 300lb bear and sleeping human... not much commotion involved.

I'm thinking if a bear attacked someone while they sleep the person would have woken up at least let some sort of a scream out.
What are the odds of a bear killing someone instantly while they sleep?
Basically she slept in the trailer and he slept by the fire.
I assume they were not far apart.

srupp
05-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Hmm tradgedie...more questions than answers...I have had far more close adventures with black bears..3 years ago at Spenses Bridge...duskish..was glassing...something felt off looked behind me a fairly large mature black bear was sneaking up behind me 15 yards?...not agressive just sneaky..
Sad for family..
Steven

ruger#1
05-11-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm thinking if a bear attacked someone while they sleep the person would have woken up at least let some sort of a scream out.
What are the odds of a bear killing someone instantly while they sleep?
Basically she slept in the trailer and he slept by the fire.
I assume they were not far apart.

Heart attack, He must of had some food in his tent. He might of been on drugs or very drunk. Around the Clinton area many years ago, An older hunter was sleeping in his tent. Bear came threw the front door. He didn't have a chance to get his rifle, Which was by his bedside. He used his knife to cut a hole in the back of his tent. He got to his truck, Had a blanket over his windshield to keep it clear of snow and frost. It was torn off his windshield along with the wiper blades.His truck door was opened when the CO's arrived. He died of a heart attack and the bear drug him away. The reason the bear was at the tent, He cleaned his grouse beside the tent. Funny thing is. I have seen more skunks in that area then bears. I always keep my camp clean, And a dog is a must. My dogs just get a whiff off a bear and they go crazy.

ruger#1
05-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Hmm tradgedie...more questions than answers...I have had far more close adventures with black bears..3 years ago at Spenses Bridge...duskish..was glassing...something felt off looked behind me a fairly large mature black bear was sneaking up behind me 15 yards?...not agressive just sneaky..
Sad for family..
Steven

Glad your still around to talk about it Steven.

The Dawg
05-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Heart attack, He must of had some food in his tent. He might of been on drugs or very drunk. Around the Clinton area many years ago, An older hunter was sleeping in his tent. Bear came threw the front door. He didn't have a chance to get his rifle, Which was by his bedside. He used his knife to cut a hole in the back of his tent. He got to his truck, Had a blanket over his windshield to keep it clear of snow and frost. It was torn off his windshield along with the wiper blades.His truck door was opened when the CO's arrived. He died of a heart attack and the bear drug him away. The reason the bear was at the tent, He cleaned his grouse beside the tent. Funny thing is. I have seen more skunks in that area then bears. I always keep my camp clean, And a dog is a must. My dogs just get a whiff off a bear and they go crazy.

Not at all.

I have a report from his sister and fiance

Nothing of the sort.

Good health. Sober. No food around.

ruger#1
05-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Not at all.

I have a report from his sister and fiance

Nothing of the sort.

Good health. Sober. No food around.

I wasn't trying to be a dink , Dawg. If I came across that way. I apologize.

caddisguy
05-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Here's a video of the camp with a wolf nosing around

https://www.facebook.com/jami.wallace.98/videos/1581523112122361/

moosinaround
05-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Tragic Incident, just one of those things that happens in nature! I would like to give my heart felt condolences to the family, his fiance, and friends. Mother nature is cruel, animals eat animals, Human, or bovine, or whatever! When you recreate in nature, you have to be on your guard! Sleeping by the fire, people do it all the time, 99% of the time, they wake up cold shivering and feeling alive, and 1% get eaten as prey! Human feelings mean nothing to a hungry 300 pound spring blackie. If I die this way, please do not feel sorry for me, I'm just giving back what I have been taking all these years, a link in the cycle of life! Moosinaround

ACE
05-11-2015, 07:11 PM
...I have had far more close adventures with black bears..3 years ago at Spenses Bridge...duskish..was glassing...something felt off looked behind me a fairly large mature black bear was sneaking up behind me 15 yards?...not agressive just sneaky..
Steven

As you ..... I watched a large Black bear sneak up behind the stump I'd been sitting against 15 minutes earlier. There was no mistake in what he had in mind.
He caught one in the brain-pan .... Northwest Bay Division ... Moriarty Basin.

Ohwildwon
05-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Apparently it was one bite to the back of the neck...

Probably didn't even know what happened...

HarryToolips
05-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Condolences to the family...I thought fire deters bears and other critters, I guess not all...

Sofa King
05-11-2015, 09:36 PM
so, they had a wolf right IN their camp earlier, and attracted to the firepit it seems.
I'm guessing there was definitely food scent around.
and he still figured it was fine-as-frog's-hair to sleep outside?
I figured he must have passed out by the fire, but he was sober?
must have been one tired guy.

Ohwildwon
05-11-2015, 10:27 PM
The behaviour of the wolf, leads me to think they were burning their food, waste/scraps...
If this wasn't entirely burnt off, well.....

Camp fires do deter wild animals, bears included...

But at 4:30- 5;00 in the morning that fire is probably all but out...

Bear follows his nose to the camp fire.....

REMINGTON JIM
05-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Terrible Traggety ! :cry: the co's killed the Wolf that was still hanging around ( strange ) the campsite as well as the 300 lb Black bear the news said tonite - RJ

Mulehahn
05-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Just curious where it says wolf was in the campsite? Article just says in area. Not too many areas up there you can't find a wolf. And as for the quick kill/no commotion I believe it. The bears up there prey on moose and elk. They know how to kill. It doesn't take much. People in India and Africa have been killed inside by leopards inside huts and people didn't wake up. Not to hard to imagine a person sleeping through it inside an insulated camper a distance away. My condolences to the fiancée and the victims family.

1/2 slam
05-11-2015, 11:33 PM
Agree!

I also find it strange that there was no mention of the guy screaming or yelling by his fiancée. :confused:

Remember the Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard grizzly attack while sleeping in the tent-
“The audio portion of this video tape lasts roughly 6 minutes. During this period, Tim's cries and pleadings can be heard for two-thirds of that time
As the tape comes to an end, the sounds of Amie's high-pitched screams rise to a new level”

Also lesson learned from the story-
-more proof that campfires don’t deter bears.

What's so strange? Asleep by the fire, bear sneaks up. One bite to the neck....over.

Sofa King
05-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Just curious where it says wolf was in the campsite? Article just says in area. Not too many areas up there you can't find a wolf. And as for the quick kill/no commotion I believe it. The bears up there prey on moose and elk. They know how to kill. It doesn't take much. People in India and Africa have been killed inside by leopards inside huts and people didn't wake up. Not to hard to imagine a person sleeping through it inside an insulated camper a distance away. My condolences to the fiancée and the victims family.

go to the post at the top of this page.

Sofa King
05-11-2015, 11:40 PM
errrr.....not this page, but the top of the page you posted on.

Sofa King
05-11-2015, 11:54 PM
still seems amazing that a dog never heard anything.
even if the kill was quick and he made no sound, a dog should hear a bear dragging something that big through their camp.
probably best that it didn't though, would have made a long, shitty night for her.

caddisguy
05-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Agree!

I also find it strange that there was no mention of the guy screaming or yelling by his fiancée. :confused:

Remember the Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard grizzly attack while sleeping in the tent-
“The audio portion of this video tape lasts roughly 6 minutes. During this period, Tim's cries and pleadings can be heard for two-thirds of that time
As the tape comes to an end, the sounds of Amie's high-pitched screams rise to a new level”

Also lesson learned from the story-
-more proof that campfires don’t deter bears.

Different circumstances I would say. Bears aren't as certain when messing with people on the move or in a tent that might be aware of the bear. In that case it's a whole process of sizing up their prey, testing their responses and physical ability. After a while the bear will probably conclude it can just manhandle the human a little and eat them alive.

A bear ambushing sleeping or unsuspecting prey is probably more is going to go all in. Bears know how to kill quickly and efficiently like a cat rather than playing with (testing) their prey first. I recall a video of a larger bear killing a smaller one in a surprise attack. It was instant. I believe the story as told by the fiancée and family. One bite to the neck, no defensive wounds from struggle.

I don't think campfires deter animals very much. A human talking or moving around a campfire does. Otherwise campfires just give a false sense of security and impair ones ability to see and hear what is around them. I recall watching a campfire from inside a trailer and minutes after going inside there's a bear sniffing around. Also sitting quietly by myself beside the campfire I've had coyotes and raccoons run in and it's not until they notice me that they bolt. Didn't care about the fire one bit. I'd never sleep under the stars out in the open in bear country. Lean-to, tarp, fine but not out in the open, fully exposed, just like i wouldn't sleep next to a tree that's leaning and creaking.

Ambush
05-12-2015, 08:21 AM
A sad tragedy for sure. And all such cases are preventable with the advantage of hindsight. But we live with probabilities and base our actions on them. How many times has this scenario played out. Not many I'll bet.

But I really have a hard time understanding why people would question the coroner's findings, the evidence found at the scene and the testimony of those directly involved. Why does anyone think it happened any other way than has been stated?

caddisguy
05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
There's a lot of videos of bears stalking people and re-enactments of bear attacks that began with a stalk, but here's what an ambush looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgzmwvqUz_g#t=67

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 08:53 AM
A sad tragedy for sure. And all such cases are preventable with the advantage of hindsight. But we live with probabilities and base our actions on them. How many times has this scenario played out. Not many I'll bet.

But I really have a hard time understanding why people would question the coroner's findings, the evidence found at the scene and the testimony of those directly involved. Why does anyone think it happened any other way than has been stated?
i dont think that it is really questioning or not believing them.
but more still finding the scenario weird.
drinking too much and passing out outside, we all do that. but he had to be really bushed to fall asleep outside when he had a bed and a warm female body to cozy up to instead.
and dogs usually are aware of things around when we have no idea anything is there. but we dont even know what type of dog, maybe a little lapdog or wgo knows, or, the bear was able to be very quiet somehow.
but no matter the findings, sleeping out beside the fire, especially after having a wolf in that exact spot, was not a smart idea. and sadly, it is not a mistake he will be able to make twice.

MB_Boy
05-12-2015, 09:02 AM

The internet is full of experts in MANY fields. :?

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 09:07 AM
looks like they have taken down that wolf video.

panhead
05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Was up salmon fishing on the Bella Coola river a few years ago. About 10 of us were sitting around a campfire in the pitch black enjoying our evening and as it got late guy's just drifted off to their campers. There were only 3 of us left and I looked up and saw a LARGE black bear looking at us just as close to the fire as we were. One guy ran back to his camper and returned with a rifle but the bear just walked off into the darkness. Had a few close encounters with grizzlies up there too ... prime bear country.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it flys, floats or flaunts then rent it.

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 09:25 AM
i bet we would all be pretty surprised if we knew what was watching us around the fires from inside the trees.

bearvalley
05-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Well stated Ambush.

f350ps
05-12-2015, 09:46 AM
The internet is full of experts in MANY fields. :?
No shit eh, I'm pretty certain there's a conspiracy going on between the Coroners office the FN'S and the GOABC, let's see what unfolds here, scary shit for sure! :) K

Spy
05-12-2015, 09:49 AM
i bet we would all be pretty surprised if we knew what was watching us around the fires from inside the trees.
You especially when big foot grabs you lol oh thats right you already had thay encounter but are to scared to admit it!

Spy
05-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Jup very sad & all these people commenting unbelievable keyboard coroners lol! Black bear grabs you by the throut there is no screaming no comotion just a blood trail, and thats what happened, reported by people that were there not behind a keyboard!

swampthing
05-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I haven't seen trigger happy post on here about this. He is from Mckenzie!?

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Jup very sad & all these people commenting unbelievable keyboard coroners lol! Black bear grabs you by the throut there is no screaming no comotion just a blood trail, and thats what happened, reported by people that were there not behind a keyboard!
i think some are comments were made before the findings were announced.

Sofa King
05-12-2015, 10:24 AM
You especially when big foot grabs you lol oh thats right you already had thay encounter but are to scared to admit it!
sorry, i am not one of those who claims to be "afraid" to tell something.
also not one to adamantly claim something is real when i myself have had no encounter, like yourself does.
you choose to believe everything everyone else says and then defend them.
but this belongs in the bf tale thread, not here.

Busterpayton54
05-12-2015, 08:06 PM
One of my fathers old hunting tales, back in 84 iirc. They were hunting out in the west end of hungry valley not far from big creek.

Well my dad fell asleep on a pile of logs, woke up in the pitch black and walked the 3 miles'ish back to camp.
So the group sat around the fire drinking like they did back then, the whole time knowing a grizz was circling them. Huffing at them. They were pissed drunk and turned in to the wall tent, then realized my uncle was passed out in a chair by the fire still. Someone lugged him to bed.
when they woke up they were missing a 1/4 of a moose that was hung a couple hundred yards away. I can't rememebr if they tried to trail it or what ever but I know my dad said according to the prints in the snow, that bear had circled him as he slept on the pile and followed him that 3 miles in pitch black right to camp.

They had a number of run-ins of sorts with that bear over the years. It's quite possibly the infamous "pink grizzy"

I had one nosing my tent down on me on the shore of gaspard lake back in the late 90's myself. The next night we heard it take a cow down a few hundred yards from camp. Spent the week watching the 2 year old feed as mom lurked in the shadows. I saw her once as she chased my uncles truck as they passed by on the road headed over to whales mountain.

No one else saw her, nor did they believe my eyes were correct.
Later as we took the truck up there and were watching the young one feed, momma let us know she was there. Scared the shit out of everyone. No more of that took place.

Daybreak
05-12-2015, 08:17 PM
I doubt I could be convinced to spend a second night in a tent when a bear had been pressing on it the previous night. I'd either pick up and move or sleep in a tree! Not so bad in the daytime but when it's black as the ace of spades out it would be unnerving.

Trigger Happy
05-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Very sad. This is where my family camps. I'm from Mackenzie and that spot is a very common area for fun shooting. My neighbour is search and rescue and filled us in. I shot my bear a few clicks from there and they are def more aggressive this year. This is a wake up call to all outdoorsman/woman to be cautious. We had a very bad berry season last year and they are Hungary and observed a few bears that looked right pissed off. The bears are coming into town already and please teach your children to be bear aware as I have with mine. This area is loaded with super packs of wolves +25 and that wolf was shot to insure it was not the culprit and check stomach contents for human remains. So sad to be having a funeral this week when Ward should have been getting married. My heart goes out to the Wallace and Mercanti family. Your brother and hubby will always be in my heart :(

Trigger Happy
05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Heard there was an argument and wasn't welcome to come to bed or was bitter and decided not to. There is no noise when a bear grabs you by the face and shakes ya by the face not the neck so please no assuming when the facts are disgusting and unthinkableQUOTE=Sofa King;1639593]i dont think that it is really questioning or not believing them.
but more still finding the scenario weird.
drinking too much and passing out outside, we all do that. but he had to be really bushed to fall asleep outside when he had a bed and a warm female body to cozy up to instead.
and dogs usually are aware of things around when we have no idea anything is there. but we dont even know what type of dog, maybe a little lapdog or wgo knows, or, the bear was able to be very quiet somehow.
but no matter the findings, sleeping out beside the fire, especially after having a wolf in that exact spot, was not a smart idea. and sadly, it is not a mistake he will be able to make twice.[/QUOTE]

.330 Dakota
05-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Glad your still around to talk about it Steven.

10 bucks says the bear isnt,,,,go Steve go

.330 Dakota
05-14-2015, 06:42 AM
While working in MacKenzie last year I couldnt help but notice there were more bears in or near town than out in the bush. Saw at least 10 at the 7-11 over the summer

Trigger Happy
05-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Update: just found the lost dog :)