PDA

View Full Version : Manual Bear Predator Call

arrows132
05-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Hey all!

I went into a hunting store here in Kelowna today, looking to pick up a Manual Distressed Rabbit Call. While talking to a sales associate, he asked what it was for - I replied with "spring bear". He starting going off on me about how illegal it was and I better not get caught. He didn't even want to sell it to me. As far as I knew, calling a bear was perfectly legal as long as it wasn't electronic. I've seen many many threads on here where people claim to use them to bring the bear in the last couple hundred yards.

Probably a stupid question but I really don't want to break any rules while out hunting:

Is it illegal to call in a black bear in B.C.?

Thanks so much guys and gals!

The Dawg
05-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Yup- hes wrong.

Legal to use a manual call.

Pioneerman
05-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes legal, go back and tell him his new job should entail asking his customers if they want fries with that order, cause he is not familiar about hunting

HarryToolips
05-10-2015, 08:59 PM
like Dawg said, the guy is wrong, you can call in bears as long as it ain't electronic..you just can't bait em...just a tip: you can do a pretty awesome distress call if your good with a blade of grass in your hands..

j270wsm
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Perfectly legal method to hunt bears. Now roll up a copy of the regs and go beat the sales person with it. Maybe he'll learn to not to freak out about something when he has no clue

timbermilton
05-10-2015, 09:09 PM
perfectly legal. like others have said no electronics or baiting.

boxhitch
05-10-2015, 09:13 PM
What a fudd
as said , it is legal

Daybreak
05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
If you are going to use it... be prepared and well positioned. You might have one come in fast with one thing on his mind.

604redneck
05-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Well atleast u know it wasnt art and cindy I wonder whewho it was???

BCBear
05-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Maybe the sales associate misunderstood you and thought you were going out in a bacon suit.

arrows132
05-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all who replied!

I was 99% sure that it was totally legal, but the guy seemed very confident I was going to be breaking a lot of rules by using it. I have had a couple of experience similar like that in that store... I hate going in there, but I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere else.

(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?110800-HarryToolips)HarryToolips - Grass trick sounds pretty useful - going to try it out on the next hunt as well!! Thanks!

HeadingOutside
05-10-2015, 09:59 PM

I was 99% sure that it was totally legal, but the guy seemed very confident I was going to be breaking a lot of rules by using it. I have had a couple of experience similar like that in that store... I hate going in there, but I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere else.

(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?110800-HarryToolips)HarryToolips - Grass trick sounds pretty useful - going to try it out on the next hunt as well!! Thanks!

Better to ask if your not sure about something. Good luck bringing them in!

Firstblood
05-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Calling bears is as fun as it gets, I've seen quite a few bears this season so I haven't had to do much calling but when I did it was a thrill. I used a rabbit distress call just like you mentioned, when the bears came they came in hot, huffin and puffing, I assume to scare away the predator that was causing the rabbit distress, they also get remarkably close before they show them selves. have at er and let us know how it goes.

Ohwildwon
05-10-2015, 11:48 PM

He might have been wrong, it's better then trying to sell you something, and not giving a shiit whether its legal or not, I suppose....

Pioneerman
05-11-2015, 05:03 AM
He might have been wrong, it's better then trying to sell you something, and not giving a shiit whether its legal or not, I suppose....

If you are selling something you should know if it is legal or not. If he was wrong in the other direction about something else it could have been terrible results for the consumer. As the original poster said he has gotten other conflicting information from the same place. I would like to know where it is and stay clear of it

BigfishCanada
05-11-2015, 07:47 AM
A guy in a hunting store, that sells them, didnt want to sell it to you?? Whats wrong with that statement......

Anyways, when you do go out, if you've never called before understand that when you do these bears can see you from a mile away, and the bears mind is that your prey, injured, weak, whatever. When ive called ive almost had to shoot small bears because they full out charged and stalked me. Even when standing up yelling at them, they still tried charging thinking i was food. Enough to get the blood going for sure, in one case i called a bear in from down below, and it was running up the hill at me, when my brother said behind you, and 100 yards behind was another one full tilt coming down at me.

Have fun!