PDA

View Full Version : Anybody find blocked access on public roads?

Dachande
05-09-2015, 06:34 PM
If you've found that over the years our public access has cut off by companies & private land owners, all with the governments approval or by them turning a blind eye? You're not alone. Our fish & game club has stood up to a large ranch & the government & has been taken to court for our troubles. What clubs around the province need to do is pick up this battle in their own backyards. If we just stand by & let our tax dollars be spent by maintenance companies on roads they do not maintain & allow access for future generations to be lost, then we have let our children down.

Dachande
05-11-2015, 12:38 PM
If you've found that over the years our public access has cut off by companies & private land owners, all with the governments approval or by them turning a blind eye? You're not alone. Our fish & game club has stood up to a large ranch & the government & has been taken to court for our troubles. What clubs around the province need to do is pick up this battle in their own backyards. If we just stand by & let our tax dollars be spent by maintenance companies on roads they do not maintain & allow access for future generations to be lost, then we have let our children down.

just came from a meeting with MOTI. They said that they've been instructed 'verbally' that each road will have to be settled in court. Even though we have paperwork from MOTI that roads are public & that public money is given to maintenance contractors to maintain them. How is that for government transparency & accountability?!

Rob Chipman
05-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Where is this happening? Do you have more details?

monasheemountainman
05-11-2015, 05:13 PM
typical, doesn't surprise me one bit.

adriaticum
05-11-2015, 05:14 PM

This is Merritt. Nicola FG vs DRL.

Slinky Pickle
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
As an owner of private land in an area surrounded by crown land, I'm amazed every weekend at the number of people that argue with me about whether it's private or public. I have a few signs up in some obvious spots and I've put a few barriers in place but I still get people running around on quads, complaining about the gates, ditches and barriers. There is a lot of non-posted private land that people ASSuME is public.

Just my $0.02

adriaticum
05-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Nicola Fish & Game is going after the wrong enemy.
Instead of dragging DLR into this, they should go after their municipal government and the Province.

Dachande
05-11-2015, 09:29 PM
There have been communication with local CO's, MLA's, RCMP, MOTI,
local Govt, Fisheries & hwy maintenance contractors. There has been
nothing but miscommunication, misinformation, blocking & lying from
everyone. Now that we have started the court case, the Govt has changed
their tune to take the stance that the road is public, the gate is
illegal & that the private fish put into a public lake are now
public. It's too bad that the Govt is making this to all the way to
court. If they had done their job 50 years ago, we wouldn't now have a
ranch blocking access to over a dozen lakes. Plus we know that we are
not alone in this issue. There are roads blocked all over the province.
It's too bad that it's come to this, but if we don't all stand up for
our rights across BC we'll find ourselves living in a restricted BC.

adriaticum
05-11-2015, 09:51 PM
There have been communication with local CO's, MLA's, RCMP, MOTI,
local Govt, Fisheries & hwy maintenance contractors. There has been
nothing but miscommunication, misinformation, blocking & lying from
everyone. Now that we have started the court case, the Govt has changed
their tune to take the stance that the road is public, the gate is
illegal & that the private fish put into a public lake are now
public. It's too bad that the Govt is making this to all the way to
court. If they had done their job 50 years ago, we wouldn't now have a
ranch blocking access to over a dozen lakes. Plus we know that we are
not alone in this issue. There are roads blocked all over the province.
It's too bad that it's come to this, but if we don't all stand up for
our rights across BC we'll find ourselves living in a restricted BC.

good, I'm glad you are pushing this.
And yes, if they have done their job. But they didn't and they never will until there is a fire under their feet.

England and Wales have what's called Ordinance Maps that indicate, for every little square in of that country, where public land is and where private land is.
Where you can pass through on a public road, where you can't pass through the private road.
Everything is kind of black and white.
We should be pushing for publishing something like this for BC.
In many ways we are still Wild West over here and the government and private land owners are using this ignorance to their benefit.

Just this weekend I ran into a road block on the south side of DLR.
But because I don't know any better I had to turn back.

wideopenthrottle
05-12-2015, 09:11 AM
good, I'm glad you are pushing this.
And yes, if they have done their job. But they didn't and they never will until there is a fire under their feet.

England and Wales have what's called Ordinance Maps that indicate, for every little square in of that country, where public land is and where private land is.
Where you can pass through on a public road, where you can't pass through the private road.
Everything is kind of black and white.
We should be pushing for publishing something like this for BC.
In many ways we are still Wild West over here and the government and private land owners are using this ignorance to their benefit.

Just this weekend I ran into a road block on the south side of DLR.
But because I don't know any better I had to turn back.

A little twist on the England/Wales access...some of the access trails actually need to be used to keep them open so there are groups dedicated to walking these trails and documenting their use so that they can/do remain open to the public..
Wide

bandit
05-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Furry Creek FSR. The first dirt road out of Vancouver on the sea to sky.

Dachande
05-13-2015, 04:47 PM
That is part of what we need clubs/people to do around the Province, talk to their locals & learn where there used to be public roads that are now more. Another avenue is to lol on IMAP, which is a Govt system, & load roads & the road feature invintory. There are many sources for people to utilize.