PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunters!

ryanonthevedder
05-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Hey all you bear hunters out there come on over to 3-15 and take a bear! I have been gold mining up there for a few years now and always see a few good shooters this time of year. Once you get across the Nahatlatch River take the turn North right by Reo rafting (its the road to Keefers). Once you get past Keefers (3 or 4 houses) you're in bear country. I have seen big black bears all the way up to the Cisco train bridges. I saw a sow with 2 cubs just tonight!

Why give up such a prime spot? I am not a bear hunter, and they have been pissing me off of late. I directed a hunter up there today, and it dawned on me that there might a few others who would enjoy a tip. They like to nibble on my mining equipment, so have at 'em!

That is all.

Drillbit
05-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Great lead for somebody.

It's my belief that anybody that applies for a moose LEH should go shoot a spring bear in that area. Give the calves a little help.

RadHimself
05-09-2015, 08:43 AM
I got one in Lumby on Thursday

Rhyno
05-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Great, now my favorite bear spot is ruined! I was just about to leave Cranbrook to swing by there for a day hunt till I saw this thread:)

timbermilton
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
thanks for the heads up. love bear, and luckily so do all four kids and wife.

shortrange
05-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Once you get across the Nahatlatch River take the turn North right by Reo rafting (the road to Keefers). Once you get past Keefers (3 or 4 houses) you're in bear country. I have seen big black bears all the way up to the Cisco train bridges. I saw a sow with 2 cubs just tonight!

I checked out the area today and the road just stops at a cluster of houses beyond the railway, about 6km from the start of the Keefer Road. There was a gate between the tracks and the houses (it was open), that seemed to indicate it was someone's property beyond. So I turned north and followed the tracks a kilometer or so, but after the second train passed me I headed back. The nearby hydro right of way had plenty of bear sign but it is posted private property most places. After looking at a map I realized I could have followed the rail line from where it passes the west end of the bridge behind Boston Bar and arrived at the same place. I just have to pick a time when there are fewer trains. Probably lots of bears then.

ryanonthevedder
05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Once you get across the Nahatlatch River take the turn North right by Reo rafting (the road to Keefers). Once you get past Keefers (3 or 4 houses) you're in bear country. I have seen big black bears all the way up to the Cisco train bridges. I saw a sow with 2 cubs just tonight!

I checked out the area today and the road just stops at a cluster of houses beyond the railway, about 6km from the start of the Keefer Road. There was a gate between the tracks and the houses (it was open), that seemed to indicate it was someone's property beyond. So I turned north and followed the tracks a kilometer or so, but after the second train passed me I headed back. The nearby hydro right of way had plenty of bear sign but it is posted private property most places. After looking at a map I realized I could have followed the rail line from where it passes the west end of the bridge behind Boston Bar and arrived at the same place. I just have to pick a time when there are fewer trains. Probably lots of bears then.

Ya thats not the spot. Get across the Nahatlach and go north of Keefers. The road used to go all the way to Lytton but its washed out now so dont plan on taking the ferry.

Glad to help and I am sorry if I gave away your favourite spot. If it was your fav spot though, you've done a bad job of getting rid of any bears. I am also sorry if your bear tastes like quad seat or roofing material. If it does I owe you a beer!

shortrange
05-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Ya thats not the spot. Get across the Nahatlach and go north of Keefers. The road used to go all the way to Lytton but its washed out now so dont plan on taking the ferry!

So I don't follow the hand made signs at the crossroads beyond Reo that say Keefer 6km, etc.? If I ignore that road, don't turn, and keep heading straight the road goes for some way north.

BTW the place where the road crosses the rail line has a white sign that says 'Keefers'.

I'll try again later in the week. Maybe bring my map book. :)

ryanonthevedder
05-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Ya thats not the spot. Get across the Nahatlach and go north of Keefers. The road used to go all the way to Lytton but its washed out now so dont plan on taking the ferry!

So I don't follow the hand made signs at the crossroads beyond Reo that say Keefer 6km, etc.? If I ignore that road, don't turn, and keep heading straight the road goes for some way north.

BTW the place where the road crosses the rail line has a white sign that says 'Keefers'.

I'll try again later in the week. Maybe bring my map book. :)

Yes follow the sign and the road thats right by Reo. Once you get to Keefers though dont cross the tracks just stay left and go up the hill to the Hydro road. There are a few no hunting signs around Keefers so make sure you re a ways out before you take aim.

Trigger Happy
05-13-2015, 12:12 PM
That's good of you to spread the word. Kuddos to you bro

duckhunter1488
05-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks to him I got my bear! There's TONS of sign out there and I was lucky enough to run into the guy who owns the last property at the end of the area of Keefers before the hill....he was awesome enough to let me get a bear on his property if I found one and just past his property is where I got mine! If anyone else is heading out there just be careful not to hunt on the area near Keoik creek because there is a hydro project that is a no shooting area. Otherwise good luck and safe hunting!! There's tons of bears out there!

ryanonthevedder
05-13-2015, 10:39 PM
That's good of you to spread the word. Kuddos to you bro

Its really no skin off my ass. I am happy to help. I know what its like drawing blanks during hunting season and also the price of fuel to get out there. There are so many damn bears out there and they're always messing with my stuff. They bite the tires on my trailer, eat the tar paper roof on the old cabin, steal my gerry cans, and generally are a pain in the ass. I never see anyone during bear season, so I figured that ought to change. A couple years of hard hunting and it'll be back to where it should be.

wick07
05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
We came up today lots of sign but just passed through from a weekend up in Lytton at monkey wrench. Was confused but after a few hours found it and saw a chevy with a sled deck parked on the power lines turned back to let him hunt but will be back there with the old lady to get her her first thanks mans for the direction

ElectricDyck
05-18-2015, 09:15 PM
That power line road is pretty good after they come in and trim under the lines...pretty grown in now, hard to spot em although they re around for sure...good early season spot as its first to green up...

ryanonthevedder
05-18-2015, 10:27 PM
From Keefers to Cisco is 20kms or so, plenty of room for 2 hunters, lol. I agree Dyck that those power lines are good spots. I havent seen too many bears that were not around those clearings. Thats also because I haven't gone looking for them elsewhere.

IF you are still unsure where to go, just google Keefers, BC. The hunting is north of there, but the road was washed out this winter between Cisco bridges and Lytton. No ferry access! FYI

bangbangkhan
05-18-2015, 10:51 PM
i know that area pretty well...as i use it to get into stein valley....grizzly up there too and i have seen lots of beers there...if anyone wants to know any further routes to get further in lemme know.

buck nash
05-19-2015, 01:56 AM
Lots of cinimons in that area as well

Rhyno
05-19-2015, 07:02 AM
i have seen lots of beers there...if anyone wants to know any further routes to get further in lemme know.

I would like to know more about these beers!

ryanonthevedder
05-19-2015, 05:30 PM
i know that area pretty well...as i use it to get into stein valley....grizzly up there too and i have seen lots of beers there...if anyone wants to know any further routes to get further in lemme know.

You wont be able to get to Stein that way any more. The road is washed out south of Lytton.

bangbangkhan
05-19-2015, 08:05 PM
You wont be able to get to Stein that way any more. The road is washed out south of Lytton.

even through kanaka bar?

elkhunter1
05-19-2015, 09:22 PM
used to hunt that area, Yes lots of bears. Mule Deer, saw a Wolverine about 16 years ago and Griz.

buck nash
05-20-2015, 12:28 AM
used to hunt that area, Yes lots of bears. Mule Deer, saw a Wolverine about 16 years ago and Griz.
I have camped with the family at nahatlatch quite a bit. I have never seen any grizz on that side of the Fraser but just across the river by anderson creek I have

ryanonthevedder
05-20-2015, 08:31 PM
I have camped with the family at nahatlatch quite a bit. I have never seen any grizz on that side of the Fraser but just across the river by anderson creek I have

The grizz are way up top. I have heard of them getting over Harrison way too, but that was many years ago.

bangbangkhan
05-20-2015, 08:44 PM
I was by antimony lake last year and we saw fresh grizz tracks...around 1900 m

ryanonthevedder
05-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Anyone getting any bears up there??

Spy
05-26-2015, 05:17 PM
HBC at its best hunters helping hunters, helping miners, a win win all around! :-) Great thread :-)

duckhunter1488
05-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Yup I got my bear up there!

Madeson
05-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Hey duckhunter1488 and all:

How long ago did you get your bear? Like ryanonthevedder, I'm wondering also how guys have been doing recently (within the past couple days or so) where he suggested to hunt around Keefers. I'm wanting to go up there this weekend for a crack at a fat blackie. Wondering if anyone has put one down the past few days.

duckhunter1488
06-02-2015, 06:04 PM
I got mine on the 12th of May. Not sure how quick it changes but there was a ton of sign and bears in the area.

Busterpayton54
06-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Anyone know how the road is into kokwaskey is? After reading this thread a couple weeks ago, really perked my interest, but I'd like to go further in as well.

Paulyman
06-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I was by antimony lake last year and we saw fresh grizz tracks...around 1900 m

Antimony lake? That's an awesome area for hiking. Good on ya

shortrange
06-07-2015, 02:41 AM
=Madeson;1643duckhunter1488 and all:How long ago did you get your bear? Wondering if anyone has put one down the past few days.

I've been up there 3 times in the last week but no bears yet. Some sign, but only higher up on Nahatlatch FSR. Too many campers lower down by the river. I did see a lynx and and lots of deer. Heading back again later when it's less crowded. Weekends there are lots of hunters and kids with ATV's. Nearer to Keefers and the hydro right of way most of the land is posted and the brush is thick, so I gave up on that area. Good luck!

shortrange
06-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Weekends there are lots of hunters and kids with ATV's. Nearer to Keefers and the hydro right of way most of the land is posted and the brush is thick, so I gave up on that area. Good luck!

I went back Sunday to see if there were any bears left. I saw a ridiculous amount of hunters instead. Behold the power of Hunting BC. ;)

IslandBC
06-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Hopefully there eating either Pabco or suprema. Any IKO or malarkey bears would taste like s**t

ryanonthevedder
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I went back Sunday to see if there were any bears left. I saw a ridiculous amount of hunters instead. Behold the power of Hunting BC. ;)

Good to hear that people are getting out there. Just hoping the bears are getting plugged as well. Hopefully everyone is behaving themselves in my area...

shortrange
06-13-2015, 02:15 AM
Good to hear that people are getting out there. Just hoping the bears are getting plugged as well. Hopefully everyone is behaving themselves in my area...

I went back today, but with the recent rain and the nearby fire in Lytton the bears were not around.

shortrange
06-17-2015, 10:18 PM
I went back today, but with the recent rain and the nearby fire in Lytton the bears were not around.

The road from Keefers through the BC Hydro right of way has a sawhorse with a 'Road Closed' sign on it now. Not exactly across the road, just beside where it forks. Nahatlatch is nearby so plenty of logging roads to explore. Less than a couple of weeks left to harvest a spring bear.

ryanonthevedder
05-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Still lots of bears in the area BTW!!

Agent Orange
05-11-2016, 03:16 PM
I know a few people that are headed that way come May long. It's sure to be busy.

ryanonthevedder
05-19-2016, 12:34 PM
I know a few people that are headed that way come May long. It's sure to be busy.

but there are a lot of bears. Lots of sign up there last weekend, and a bears has been visiting my mining camp for the last year at least.

delboybc
05-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I was up that way a month ago but could not find the road to go further north. I took the road right at REO rafting but it either ended at someone's property or went under the power lines were they had signs up saying no public access. Had a look on google Earth when I got home and still wasn't sure were I went wrong.

itsy bitsy xj
05-24-2016, 04:43 PM
I was up that way a month ago but could not find the road to go further north. I took the road right at REO rafting but it either ended at someone's property or went under the power lines were they had signs up saying no public access. Had a look on google Earth when I got home and still wasn't sure were I went wrong.
I'm up here now
just past the hydro sign and saw a young buck with a bit of a limp

delboybc
05-24-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm up here now
just past the hydro sign and saw a young buck with a bit of a limp

I take it the best approach is just to ignore the hydro signs or is there another road that heads north?

Spy
05-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Wow nearly 10 thousand views!