PDA

View Full Version : Bone saw

hparrott
05-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm new to hunting, and quickly learned the other day that the bone saw I bought was horrible. I am not that strong and I really need to invest in a saw that I can use to half/quarter game so I can be confident that I Am not limited by the size of the game incan hunt. I would like to get a saw that I can ultimately take in my pack if possible. I figure that there is a saw that is meant for bone that I could get from a store such as Home Depot or crappy tire, rather than a more expensive hunting store but I am up for all suggestions. I would like it to be good for bear/moose etc. All help appreciated :)

Ferenc
05-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Wyoming saw is what's in my pack. www.wyomingknife.com

Alfonz
05-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Wyoming saw is what's in my pack. www.wyomingknife.com (http://www.wyomingknife.com)

Agreed, get a Wyoming! They are the way to go!

2chodi
05-08-2015, 08:33 PM
I also have a Wyoming saw, but I have come to prefer a Sierra Saw:

http://www.coghlans.com/products/sierra-saw-8400

BiG Boar
05-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Have the Wyoming 2 myself. But do yourself a favor and learn the gutless method. You can quarter an animal without using more than a knife.

moosinaround
05-08-2015, 08:44 PM
i have a wyoming saw, and a very sharp Westerlings hachet too. I agree with big bore, you can quarter it without a saw by doing the gutless method! Moosin

Salix
05-08-2015, 09:11 PM
I agree the the comments above about learning to do the gutless method, much cleaner and easy to do with just a knife. I carry in the pack a cheap hand saw I picked up at crappy tire. I think it's a 14 inch hand saw designed for cutting wood but has been great for cutting the skull to get the antlers off in the field before packing out. Past 4-5 years has been used many times. Will cut leg bones too if you don't know how to get the tendons on the knee cap with a knife.
Mastercraft Aggressive HandSaw, 14-in. It's reg $14 but they come on sale all the time.

ultramafic
05-09-2015, 04:09 AM
I have a Wyoming saw which has only been out once... after dealing with it wandering off the backbone and through the meat and ribs instead I never used it again... there was no way to direct it back to where I wanted it to go. I went to the hardware store and found a carpenters hand saw with the smallest teeth I could find and have used that pretty much ever since. We rarely cut down the back bone anymore instead removing the legs from the carcass and removing the meat from the ribs and such leaving the majority of the bones in the bush for the critters..

mike

VanIsleCam
05-09-2015, 08:38 AM
I use a hacksaw.

Wagonmaster
05-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Forget buying a saw unless you want to cut of the horns. For moose or elk, get this video by Seneca Creek Productions and Outdoor Edge (the knife company) - Quarter and De-Bone Big Game in the Field. This guy's method works well. I usually watch it a couple of times at the beginning of hunting season and have a few notes that I keep in my pack. You'll have to have a couple of game bags with you unless you are not going to be too far from your vehicle. All bones and hide left in the bush. No aching arms and no bone fragments in the meat. Deer Processing 101 by the same people is also a good video for cleaning deer.

longstonec
05-09-2015, 11:51 AM
As has already been said. Gutless method is great, lots of youtube videos on the subject. I prefer a Silke Gomboy or Pocketboy saw. Cant remember which one…

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2/Silkys-GOMBOY-210mm-MED-Teeth-Hand-Saw#sthash.mAbHk8GU.dpbs

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2/Pocketboy-170mm-Saw-1006#sthash.v40PxO2M.dpbs

mikeman20
05-09-2015, 03:06 PM
I have a Wyoming saw and use it to quarter deer with no problem, cutting down the spine is a little work but any hand saw will be.

I keep it in a side pocket on my pack and always have it when I need it

j270wsm
05-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I always the gutless method. Only time I use my wyoming saw is for antlers.

randymac
05-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Millwaukee cordless reciprocating saw with coarse blade.