PDA

View Full Version : Should Hunter's be Ashamed ???

Will
04-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Who feels that Hunting and Hunters as a rule have been forced to "Hide" what they do from society in general ?

We now are asked not to "display" animals when transporting them etc. We should hide them from "view" so as not to offend others.....:roll:

Great Tips are surfacing on many sites on how to Prop up your Animals for photo shoots so as to make the animal appear "unharmed"....even to the point of sewing mouths closed so the tongue doesn't protrude...nothing wrong with a great quality Pic for the Hunter to cherish but come on....I've even seen Fellas chastisized for posing with the animal while holding thier Rifle, seems some feel the "weapon" should not be in the Pic.:roll:

Many Hunters have actually begun to Believe ALL this crap themselves....Misguidedly calling it Ethics etc. What a Crock of crap !

You Killed an Animal........Yes I said KILLED, not "Harvested" :roll:
Deal with it !

I for one refuse and always have, to "Hide" what I'm doing from anyone.

I Hunt, I kill things, it's what I am. I decorate my Home with pieces of Animals........some call them Trophies. I eat and help feed my Family with Meat from Dead things.

Continuing to "Hide" our Lawful Activities from Society's Mainstream only serves to further the "seperation" that the Hunting culture continues to face.

Time to stop being ashamed of what you do and bring it back into the light :)

CanuckShooter
04-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't agree totally with you. I 'harvest' the animals that I kill to eat....it's the varmints that just get killed.

We need to return to our roots.....when hunting to feed our families was our tradition...and not something to be ashamed of.

Mauser98
04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Two years ago I killed a nice bull moose. When it came time to come home, I tied the rack to the front rack of my quad that was then loaded into the trailer. I deliberately put the rack on display as a bit of an experiment to see reactions if any.

I was amazed. I got nothing put positve reactions(pumped fists, flashing headlights, smiles etc) from the time we left Chetwynd to Horsehoe Bay.

At the ferry terminal, people came by to admire and ask questions. All very positive. Not one downer.

I refuse to use the term 'harvest'. About the tamest I'll go is "I took a nice bull last year" but usually I say 'kill'. I 'harvest' potatoes.

When I kill an animal, I feel pride and satisfaction with just a touch of saddness and I'll be god-damned if I'm going to hide out.

Kevin21
04-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I am wondering myself on what to do with this situation yes I live in PG but how are my neighbours going to react when i do Kill something? I plan on going out in the next couple of weeks to get a bear, Am I going to be able to hang the cape in my yard or am i going to get screamed at? I am new to the hunting game and I awit my first kill but i have thought about this a great deal and not sure what to do.

Krico
04-14-2007, 09:49 AM
I feel no need, and refuse to, "hide" anything to do with the fact that I hunt. I take every opportunity to explain to non-hunters the reasons why I hunt, and most people I find are simply curious and appreciate when someone takes the time to speak with them. I also don't feel a need to show off to the public, which is I think what is meant by "display." If there's an animal leg sticking out from the truck box so be it, I just don't feel the need to rope animals to the hood of my vehicle.

Bigbear
04-14-2007, 09:56 AM
No Damed way should we fell ashamed. The only negative results would be from a City person who has never or never will get out in the outdoors,Or has had Wild meat on the Table. The 30 something , Preppy croud. There has been hard times in my past were we had to depend on Wild meat to get By. I personaly have never had a Bad reaction. Nothing But positive. I think on the most part, thru advertising and good will thru wildlife organizations, Hunters are looked as another method of wildlife Conservation , besides the CO's, and group of people who still live by the life of the early Canadians who founded the Vast great country of Ours.:lol:

CanuckShooter
04-14-2007, 10:02 AM
I am wondering myself on what to do with this situation yes I live in PG but how are my neighbours going to react when i do Kill something? I plan on going out in the next couple of weeks to get a bear, Am I going to be able to hang the cape in my yard or am i going to get screamed at? I am new to the hunting game and I awit my first kill but i have thought about this a great deal and not sure what to do.

Rule Number 1 >> Don't take any chytt from anyone....if they wear leather shoes, or eat meat of any kind...they are no different than you except they prefer to pay someone else to KILL for them...they are the weak ones that will all die of starvation before they get blood on their hands...no loss to us.

BearSniper
04-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Will...

Buddy I sense the reactions to the Coyote photo may have got you thinking and thus you made your post about being ashamed of hunting.:-(

I want you to know I agree with you that we should not be ashamed of our sport and be proud of it. I have no problem with trucks/campers towing trailers going down the highway in the fall with a big set of antlers on top of a tarp in the back. Everyone else knows what they're doing and they just have to accept it. Hunters exist. Period.

Hunting is a part of our national heritage and history shows that the europeans came here to trade furs with our fellow original native hunters. To this day our first nations brothers hunt all over for survival. I mean come on, ever heard of the Hudsons Bay Company ?

I think also the proud trophy pictures posted with your kill is perfectly fine and we shouldn't shy away from it.

However, the photo of the Coyote with the huge hole in it perhaps should not have been shown. I think theres a difference between a great trophy shot, as in Hunter 1947's avatar, and many other avatars, and the blown apart coyote. All I'm saying is that picture is now evidence. Evidence that our opponents would use against us. Why hand them the tools by which they can attack us ?

I totally agree with you that hunting involves death and we put the dead things on our walls and eat them. Got a few of those myself. But, theres a subtle difference in the "style" and "graphic" of the photo. Also, as one of the other members pointed out, that picture was a very good example of very poor shot placement.

Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line: I too, won't be ashamed of hunting.:smile:

Gateholio
04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't hide and I dont' harvest....:)

When you "hide" something, it becomes a "dirty little secret" and therefore becomes something that peopel are not used to, which makes it easier for them to condemn it.

A classic example of this is gun ownership in Canada- when the more restrictive laws came into force, most gun owners werent' affected- they didn't own those sort of guns, anyway, so they didnt' care.

But they somehow felt that if they started to "hide" what they were doing wiht thier trap shotguns and deer rifles, they woudl fly under the radar..so gun racks in trucks starte to dissappear, and gun owners tried to appease the public and the politicians by "hiding"

Well, we all know how that turned out.

No, far form hiding anything, hunters shoudl be on display. I'm not sure if Ted Nugents "in your face" technique is the best way to do this, but being constantly in the public eye, especially when there are conservation projects on the go, is necessary.

Put on your best face, but dont' hide who you are and what role hunters play in management and conservation.

pupper
04-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I dont hide what I do, but I am a sportsman who respects the game I take and make use of it for nutrition, trophy, hide whatever it may be.

some people like killing for the sake of killing and like to showcase gore and it looks bad for the whole group of hunters.

You can do what you want but like it or not we now live in a PC world and sometimes it sucks, but if we as hunters want a voice, privelages, and freedom we will have to play by the rules of society otherwise run the risk of being outlawed for disrespectful behavoir.

Will
04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
that picture was a very good example of very poor shot placement.

Yes I agree but the Yote looked dead to me and I doubt any Palatable Meat was wasted there, noone seems to eat Dogs anymore anyways.
Ever seen a Yote die in a snare...not too pretty either :-|

BTW the Horrific offensive pic of a dead coyote was not mine........it's been floating around the net for quite sometime....

Surprisingly enough though Folks the results of Shooting an animal with a High Powered Rifle are often not pretty.........it is what it is.
I just find that alot of Hunter's stories and pics that get posted seem to gather alot of Critique from fellow Hunters because they often do not fit the ideal of what a Hunting pic should reflect........not sure what that is ???

Hell Guys get $hit now for smiling in thier pics cause they shouldn't be Happy they Killed something :roll:

Noone ever said Killing something was easy or clean and perfect.

If this offends you maybe you should take up Golfing:wink:

some people like killing for the sake of killing and like to showcase gore and it looks bad for the whole group of hunters
Well I guess you've got me all figured out then............:roll:

rageous
04-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I never hide the fact i am a hunter, this is a pic of us as we were just leaving moosecamp 06. A 20 hour road trip home and not one bad look or comment. Everyone would give us the "thumbs up" as they pass by.
We even had a group of texan's follow us for about 50 km just to take pic with the rack.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/bug_deflector.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4848&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

30-06
04-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Im Not Ashmed To Hunt.Or Display What I Kill.It's A Way Of Life.If Ppl Dont Like It To Bad They Can Turn There Heads..Im Not Going To Delibreatly Go Out Of My Way To Gross Ppl Out But If They Do Oh Well

30-06
04-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I never hide the fact i am a hunter, this is a pic of us as we were just leaving moosecamp 06. A 20 hour road trip home and not one bad look or comment. Everyone would give us the "thumbs up" as they pass by.
We even had a group of texan's follow us for about 50 km just to take pic with the rack.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/bug_deflector.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4848&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

haha thats a sweet loking pic.thanks for showing haah

Chuck
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with Will 110 per cent - and it is our legal right, is it NOT? However.. and I use the term loosely, time and experience has taught me that the more I can remain anonymous in the things that I do (and I'm NOT talking illegal here), but just everyday stuff, like hunting for one, and/or other things which might draw attention to me, then I can avoid being hassled, pigeon-holed or have my life made miserable one way or another by the people who imo I could do without, like bullies, ahs and those who take delight in making my life hell. I don't know what you all think, but isn't there enough out there to deal with every day without actually calling for more? I'm not a malicious person and I try to do no harm, so I feel no shame or cowardice because I will not back away from a deliberate challenge/threat. So I can well relate to how Will is feeling and agree with him, but then who said life was going to be a picnic? Just MY $2.00 worth. END SERMON. LOL!

Mattimoose
04-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes and it makes me sad.

pupper
04-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I personally like rack displays and like that moose rack on the winch, If someone was offended by that I think they are a little sensitive, but if it meant we would lose rights as hunters I would be willing to not display the rack.

I think that the whole animal over the fender would look a little harsh.

Gateholio
04-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I
You can do what you want but like it or not we now live in a PC world and sometimes it sucks, but if we as hunters want a voice, privelages, and freedom we will have to play by the rules of society otherwise run the risk of being outlawed for disrespectful behavoir.

There is no reason that we cannot "dictate" the rules about the hunting perception, to society.

pupper
04-14-2007, 12:22 PM
As a hunter I like being under the radar which I think we are as a group. Hunting isnt promoted unless you grow up in a pro-hunter home and it is too bad for the individuals who miss out on such a great experience. Society is obivously too sensitive towards hunting and is somewhat agianst us. If we stay under the radar and not make too much noise we can enjoy this incredible priveladge. Not that I agree with staying quite and passive, but if it means keeping hunting around I am willing to be in the "underground" group we call hunters.

the gun registry is just one example of the red tape it takes to get into hunting. Society is just going to keep making it more difficult and keep building fences around us.

Gateholio
04-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Society is just going to keep making it more difficult and keep building fences around us.

And the reason that this is happening? Because we LET it happen. We don't stand up ourselves (or others that are similar to us) when we need to, and we passively hide.

By going "underground" we distance ourselves form the public, and the public stop supporting us. When people knew that their neighbor or the guy they worked wiht was a hunter/shooter- and he was a normal, respectable person- hunting/shooting was considered a "normal" activity.

When people dont' "know" any hunters, they will come to thier own conclusions about what/who a hunter is, and what he is. And thier own conclusions are almost always negative.

One Shot
04-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Time to stop being ashamed of what you do and bring it back into the light :)

Here, Here!! Hunting is not a religion, race, creed, sexual orientation(maybe for some) and is not controlled by the consitution/chartrer of rights. It is a sport, activity or a way of life for those who hunt and fish, so therefore the participants do not have to be politically correct, change the way the sport, activity or way of life is carried out as to not to hurt the feelings or be contardictory to the opinions of others who do not fish or hunt.

:mad: F**** T****. How would they feel if we tell them that we do not want see see all their green and tree hugging clothing, decals, sexual oriention S**t. I do not tell them on how to or not to display what they do in their lives. Besides hunting has been around since the begining of time, how the hell do they think they would have got here today if their ancestors did not hunt????

Better stop before I get going.:)

Nuff said.

BigfishCanada
04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
"We now are asked not to "display" animals when transporting them etc. We should hide them from "view" so as not to offend others.....:roll:"

This is the first I heard of this? Everyear our dear are exposed to traffic on the way home. Whos askin for us to hide them, never heard anyone tell me that!

Jetboat
04-14-2007, 02:50 PM
If it's a quick trip home, I don't tie the rack to the front of the truck and show it off...nosiree. I put 'em in the back of the truck and show off their balls instead :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/Packedup.jpg

30-06
04-14-2007, 03:03 PM
If it's a quick trip home, I don't tie the rack to the front of the truck and show it off...nosiree. I put 'em in the back of the truck and show off their balls instead :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/Packedup.jpg

now thats the way to Git-R-Done

hunter1947
04-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I do the same thing i have always done and i don't care about anyone. hunter47.

Mattimoose
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
I think we should invite Ted Nugent to come-on here with a little motivational rhetoric. he has done well for our cause and a little direction never hurt.

ALPINE
04-14-2007, 06:09 PM

I live in PG too.:) I think you might be surprised about how many hunters you have in your area. I wouldn't hide it at all. Be proud that you have the knowledge on how to fill your freezer. If you need help hauling a Bear out of the Bush let me know.:eek:

pupper
04-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree with all of you

you make great points, we should not be ashamed or hide what we do at all.

steel_ram
04-14-2007, 06:42 PM
It's funny, even here in urban Victoria, neighbours will come over to check out a dead deer, dead moose and you could sell tickets. Rabid anti-hunters are the vocal minority. Wear your Realtree with pride boys.

TOP_PREDATOR
04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Its not just Canada guys,we are just this shit here in New Zealand too.

Browningmirage
04-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I used to try and be inconspicuous...i didnt want the girls to think i was a bloodthirsty crazed animal...then i got to go out hunting several times, and killed an animal, i wasnt fazed, and now my opinion is that i want to flaunt it, i want to show off that i hunt, i want to hang animals in my house, and if people have a problem with it, they can leave me alone, i dont need to talk to anyone that cant handle hunting. All the people i have met that dont think hunting is fair or anything basically have no arguments when it comes to a debate, and end up just calling names and swearing (if they get that far, most go docile and agree with me). Once swearing happens, you know youve won the fight, i usually just walk away after that, dont need to say any more to an idiot

Coyote
04-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I've got an interesting reply for folks that take me on in this argument. If I know they eat meat or wear leather I just quietly tell them that they may not have blood on their hands but they've got blood on their money. Usually shuts them up. Sometimes the conversation even takes a turn for the better from there.

Good luck this year

The Hermit
04-14-2007, 08:13 PM
The ONLY person I have avoided telling is my new boss. Everyone else inthe small company knows and have all said something like... Oh gee DON'T tell Ken... he is a huge anti hunting guy!". I can't wait to show him my holiday pictures in September after killing an elk with the archery tackle! LOL

I guess I look pretty much like the city yuppie in my suit, driving a sleek little import sports car, house in the burbs etc so most people are pretty suprised when I tell them. I tell just about everyone I meet and if / when they give me a hard time I simply point out that I know they eat meat but I didn't know they were hypoctites! That always begs the "what do you mean?" question I so love to answer! LOL

Jager
04-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I'll admit I tried hard to fly under the radar and avoid answering questions about what I liked to do for fun/sport and then I talked to someone who pointed out that hunting is nothing to be ashamed of. His analogy compared hunters to ***s and lesbians.....at one time G&L's stayed in the closet and were outcasts of society, now it seems that everybody is "out" and the big deal that is made when there is a parade - fun times!!! The alternate life style has become the norm. So where does that leave us hunters? We are being pressured by society to keep low key in an effort not to offend anyone and if we're not careful we'll soon be forced into the "closet". It's time to be loud and proud and maybe one day hunters will be able to celebrate with an annual parade to show off our trophies and real tree apparrel.........

quadrakid
04-14-2007, 09:00 PM
tough subject, i find many folks who don,t hunt are fairly open to being educated as to why we hunt etc there is always going to be a few closeminded anti,s. i don,t hide my hunting activities which can cause a little consternation in some folks around here seeing as i,m living in tree hugger central. i say educate , don,t hide and be tactful.most people eat meat and most of them are aware that an animal died for their burger to be made.

pupper
04-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Yah its wierd how what used to be shameful is now supposed to be accepted more than graciously and what used to be promoted as acceptable is now looked at through a stink eye. Its sad.

browning
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Call me a northern redneck, but the only thing that makes me upset about seeing a great big set of horns on someones rig is knowing that I have to work and can't make it out till the weekend. I have some southern BC relatives, and they don't hunt. They also don't complain about the free roasts, steaks and peperoni that I give them. Nothing to be ashamed of providing a little bit of vittles for the wife and kids...

LeverActionJunkie
04-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Good thread Will, I agree with you 100%. When people tell me hunting is cruel, I usually tell them that living in a feedlot being pumped with chemicals and hormones is cruel, chewing on a branch and hearing a loud bang just before everything goes dark isn't!

bsa30-06
04-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I put my animals in my pick-up box if people look in there and don't like what they see , then they should mind their own business and quit lookin in my pick up box.If i bring an animal home whole i just pull the truck in the driveway and hang it in my garage,all my nieghbors now i hunt and there are about 4 or 5 of us in this imediate nieghborhood that hunt so when a dirty truck comes home , usuually theres a gathering to see if the hunter was succesfull .

Onesock
04-15-2007, 08:28 AM
10% of the population are hunters. 10% of the population are anti-hunters. This leaves 80% of the population that could swing one way or the other. I think as hunters we should try to win over that 80% to our side. If we respet the animals we "kill" and not rub the dead animals in other peoples faces we will have a better chance at winning over the undecided. Don't be ashamed you hunt, but we, as hunters, have the non hunting public to deal with, and one day we would like to have these people as our allies.

tuchodi
04-15-2007, 09:20 AM
You have Anti-War, Anti-Logging,Anti-Fighting in Hockey and many more Anti's but usually they are the Loud Mouth Minority. I don't go out of my way to display what I have taken during the hunting season, why give the load mouths something to bitch at. On the other hand I am not Ashamed of hunting and do not hide the fact when talking to people about hunting. I am the only on on my street that hunts but no one has been dissaproving of seeing me butchar the meat in my garage, they even come over and watch and talk about it. Even in the lower mainland where you dont expect the majority to support your way I have found a lot of people you talk to might not hunt or fish but they have come from a family or know someone that has hunted. There are always a few you will never get a change in attitude from but to others when you explain a little more about our lifestyle, (why and how we hunt) I have found they will listen and are even understanding even if they don't participate themselves. I know from the past that in the smaller communities it is way more acceptable and is considered a livestyle there.

Sideofabarn
04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I constantly struggle with this one... I tend not to advertise the fact, and be mindful of the feelings of others. I personally feel that we are not going to win friends if we push the agenda in other people's faces. Most of the people I know hunt, but when I lived in Vancouver I knew a lot of people who I know I wouldn't tell. It's not my place to tell others what they should and shouldn't agree with. Here in PG it's less of an issue, because I think if you move here you know damn well what the majority is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are a lot of things I don't agree with either, but it's a different world than the one of our parents' and there's nothing wrong with being considerate for the feelings of others. Maybe here's a comparison... Think of something that offends you (I'm sure it won't be hard), now imagine walking into someone's home to see it proudly displayed on the wall. Now tell me what you're thinking...

Elkhound
04-15-2007, 10:11 AM
when we hide as hunters and try to fly under the radar all we do is screw ourselves over. Look at what it has done for firearm owners. Hell, hunters should have their own "Hunters Pride" parade...be vocal,...... be loud and proud. Worked for others in society.

So who's with me for a parade next year.....Downtown Vancouver eh?:lol: This I would love to see.......the floats would be awesome.

2 seasons ago I got a few PMs because a few on HBC did not like the pic of my blacktail deer wearing an HBC hat and said I should remove the pic from the thread. It "showed disrespect for the animal".......too bad. Pic was left up. I was proud of that buck and proud to post it on HBC for others just like me to enjoy. Maybe I will use it as my next avatar:wink:

johnes50
04-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I think being up front and not being made to feel guilty about being a hunter has it's merits. I will not be a victim of the anti's, nor will I be a target of anyone that feels they can give me a lecture against hunting.

I don't hide that I hunt. It implies that I am doing something wrong or immoral. There are many customs that Canadians have bent over backwards to accomodate. Anti-hunters will just have to learn to accept hunting as a Canadian heritage sport and learn to deal with it. I'm tired of the tail wagging the dog.

I even bring up the fact that I'm a hunter on purpose. If someone sees my camper and asks what I use it for, I tell them mostly for hunting. I get to meet some good people that way.

I think the more we are open about being hunters in our daily lives, the better off we are as a group. The less chance we have of being made to feel guilty and being manipulated into giving up rights by the anti's and by our own government. If the powers that be feel that we are running scared then that makes it easy for them to take away our rights. It's a lot easier to keep a right then to get it back.

At work, if somebody asks what are you doing this weekend, I say I'm going hunting or shooting, if I am. 90% of the people either have no problem with it or think it's OK. The 10% that don't like hunting just have to live with it and I waste no time on them. They have the problem, I don't. John

wetcoaster
04-15-2007, 11:38 AM
And the reason that this is happening? Because we LET it happen. We don't stand up ourselves (or others that are similar to us) when we need to, and we passively hide.

By going "underground" we distance ourselves form the public, and the public stop supporting us. When people knew that their neighbor or the guy they worked wiht was a hunter/shooter- and he was a normal, respectable person- hunting/shooting was considered a "normal" activity.

When people dont' "know" any hunters, they will come to thier own conclusions about what/who a hunter is, and what he is. And thier own conclusions are almost always negative.

All true if you hide you are part of the problem stand up and be counted! I understand those of you who don't feel it is right to push your agenda on others but there is a big difference between this and not hiding and being a positive giving role model.

There isn't enough hunters anymore especially in city centers. People can't meet them, interact with them and maybe become interested themselves because proportionally among the ever increasing population they don't exist. This trend started for a variety of reasons including "Flying Under the Radar" but it is up to us to change it.

The population mass in the city centers control this country by sheer population and a hunter is something that shot Bambi's mom if they have never met one. The media is negatively and senstionally driven regardless of the subject. People don't hear about the thousands of hunters feeding their families within the confines of the law and by doing so help to manage wildlife populations. Instead they hear about the one guy who poached a bear and sold it into the black market, the one guy who pit lamps etc. With no hunters out there to meet these are the impressions they are left with.

Young people born in this country are not hunting and therefore are not becoming or knowing hunters. This is our fault, young people within our realm of influence should all be hunting or at least hearing about hunting. If we have one duty to our traditions this is it. I am not talking about just our kids but our extended families, our nieghbors our friends, our co-workers! Get their families involved! Invite newcomers on your precious hunts. We tend to be protective and exclusive in our hunting activities instead of open and inclusive. If we hope to change the trend this has to change. Start by taking them to the range and then help get them legal. I have yet to meet a 12 year old boy or girl who isn't hooked after firing their first shot at the range.

One more thing we all need to procriate like never before. Get out there and start tonight boys time is a' waisting. I for one am going to start right now! "Honey throw the birth control out for the good of the country we have hunters to make"! Go do your duty!:cool:

Frango
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I have hunting pics and pics of dead animals on my office wall. If someone takes exception that is their problem..I have never had anyone say to my face they objected.I have had lots of questions about the pictures and most are genuine interest.Coming home from hunting trips we carry our racks in the trailer ,on top.Not obvious but not hidden.When we travel north we watch every hunter south bound for a rack .Don't we all??.As a group perhaps we are too sensitive to what is basically a big city attitude.Perhaps it's just me but I think attitudes have changed a little.One can only hope so.

Mr. Dean
04-16-2007, 12:17 AM
All true if you hide you are part of the problem stand up and be counted! I understand those of you who don't feel it is right to push your agenda on others but there is a big difference between this and not hiding and being a positive giving role model.

There isn't enough hunters anymore especially in city centers. People can't meet them, interact with them and maybe become interested themselves because proportionally among the ever increasing population they don't exist. This trend started for a variety of reasons including "Flying Under the Radar" but it is up to us to change it.

The population mass in the city centers control this country by sheer population and a hunter is something that shot Bambi's mom if they have never met one. The media is negatively and senstionally driven regardless of the subject. People don't hear about the thousands of hunters feeding their families within the confines of the law and by doing so help to manage wildlife populations. Instead they hear about the one guy who poached a bear and sold it into the black market, the one guy who pit lamps etc. With no hunters out there to meet these are the impressions they are left with.

Young people born in this country are not hunting and therefore are not becoming or knowing hunters. This is our fault, young people within our realm of influence should all be hunting or at least hearing about hunting. If we have one duty to our traditions this is it. I am not talking about just our kids but our extended families, our nieghbors our friends, our co-workers! Get their families involved! Invite newcomers on your precious hunts. We tend to be protective and exclusive in our hunting activities instead of open and inclusive. If we hope to change the trend this has to change. Start by taking them to the range and then help get them legal. I have yet to meet a 12 year old boy or girl who isn't hooked after firing their first shot at the range.

I couldn't think of another word to add... Great post!

browningboy
04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I personally can't wait for the road trip to start seeing the racks etc. coming home, the adreniline starts going and makes you get into the spirit, we proudly display our racks and usually get positive responses, if one shows it in a respectable manner I can't see people whining or bitching (theres always some), but I firmly believe if people aren't proud and or choose not to show them, people become accustomed to the fact that you're all fisherman and whats hunting? Nobody does that, never see anything? Get what I mean, and I don't mean you have your deer mounted on your quad like its riding it, just show your proud and we're still out there, if you're respectable then hopefully people are the same back. My 2Cents:roll:

Will
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
This is the first I heard of this? Everyear our dear are exposed to traffic on the way home. Whos askin for us to hide them, never heard anyone tell me that!
Well the BC Hunting regs actually used to have a small blurb in it about being sensitive to non hunters etc. and to not "display" your game while tranporting etc. etc. etc.... :roll:

I'm glad to now see that it appears to have been removed from our current regs........at least I couldn't find it anywhere, I just looked ! :)

My Great Uncle had a Meat Pole at the back of his House......every year for nearly 50 years come open season there'd be a Moose swinging from that by closing guaranteed ! & never a prob, the "Neighbors" all knew the Old fella hunted and it wasn't questioned at all.......anyways, he passed away a few years back but I know for the last 5 years or so that he hung a Moose there his "Neighbors" would call the CO's every year without fail :roll:

Times change and what I'm getting at is that oppinions are certainly different then they were say even 10 years ago......WHY ?

I've even seen pics from the 70's that show deer hanging from Boulevard trees downtown Kamloops on Columbia St, nothing out of the ordinary...Big surprise humans eat Meat ! ......try that nowadays and you'd think you'd hung the neighbor's dog up there !!!!

Some Great replies and I've enjoyed reading those that are much better at putting thoughts to words then myself ! Thanks :cool:

The Hermit
04-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Okay then I guess I'll just prop ol Mr Blackie up in the car, tied to the roll bar and drive right down town in Victoria. Everyone will think I'm just taking my pet to the vet!! Cool! That ought to attract some attention!!! ;-)

http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/DSCN0874.JPG

Will
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice Fiero ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
;)

The Hermit
04-17-2007, 07:37 AM
DUDE!!! LOL You came off my Christmas list and onto the S**t List! No offense to Fiero owners of course!

Elkhound
04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
DUDE!!! LOL You came off my Christmas list and onto the S**t List! No offense to Fiero owners of course!

LMAO:lol::lol:......I would love to see a blackie tied to that Hermit

Kevin21
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM

LOL thats funny nice 300:lol:

Will
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Well Nice to see someone with a Sense of Humour :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice Car ! 8-)

Eichelherr
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Haha when i get my first bear, im gonna drive to the greenpeace office in vancouver, and take a picture with me and the kill, right in front of it. It'll be good for a laugh, what do you say?
________
Yamaha XT600 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XT600)

BCLongshot
05-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Not on my watch !!!!!!!!!

I will never bow down and be politicaly correct !!

You can capture me and cut my nards off and hang me all over Stanley Lefty Park !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

The Anti's make me sick.

I am getting to like my mothern'law though after 23 yrs.

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Elkhound
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

lol...YOU SHOULD USE THAT AS YOUR SIG LINE:lol:

Mr. Dean
05-03-2007, 11:33 PM

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Soooo; All the rumours are true - No age limit to the skirts ye chases. :lol:

Rainwater
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
We should be more ashamed of our government. I just received a copy of the Hunting Questionaire with a cover photo of what looks like some old time hunters (market hunters). Piles of Antlers, a hide from what looks like a sow and a cub. It's about as bad as a photo I have of the Youth Employees parked in front of the liquor store handing out gun registration forms, the liquor store is where all the gun owners hang out you know. We have a big problem with our own gov't and they are not helping us recruit new hunters or helping with hunters images.

curt
05-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I am not ashamed by the fact that i hunt however there are people out there that do not agree and i put it in perspective like religion i dont appreciate it when people come to my door and push it down my throat so i try and show the same respect that I expect I dont shove it down their throats. We need to be tactful it makes us look like better people and not the barbarians we tend to be made out to be.Enjoy our sport but take the high road and be respectful of others.:lol:

MichelD
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I guess I'll go against the grain a bit here and say that though I'm always proud of a nice game animal, the days of coming home with the buck strapped onto the hood of the '47 Chev are over. A little discretion might be wise.

Like Curt says "...show the same respect that I expect I don't shove it down their throats. We need to be tactful ..."

I mean sure, I've come home from a trip with the trailer bristling with antlers too and my neighbours know I hunt and I'm not ashamed of it. I've even fed bear meat to vegetarians at my birthday garden party after telling them it was pure, wild and organic.

But if we want the support or at least the apathy of the public and potential anti-hunters we could avoid doing things like I witnessed at the Coquihalla toll booth rest stop last Thanksgiving.

There were hundreds of people there, cars parked cheek to jowl , people taking their little kids to the bathroom, having a quick bite and a drink and gawking at the sight in the back of this guy's pickup.

A small spike buck with about four inches of antler on its head lashed to the back of a quad in the back of the pickup. Tongue hanging out, blood dripping down... you get the picture.

He could at least have covered it up. I mean it sure wasn't a trophy to brag about, much less show off.

The C.O. was there too, writing him a ticket. I saw the C.O. hand it to him.

I have no idea what for, but it probably wasn't for having bad taste.

wlbc
06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't flaunt it but I do not hide anything. A number of years ago I butchered a deer in my backyard in Kelowna. No one said a thing - except my wife... but thats another story and the wounds healed well.

The bear I whacked this spring was brought back to the house prior to the taxidermist so the kids could run their fingers through it's soft fur.

Folks have made some good posts in this thread. I do not apologize or hide any aspect of the hunting that I enjoy.

moose
06-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I have seen hunhting grow as of late with more and more people going out in the bush. No I don't hide what I do either, however I don't shove it down other people's throats either. It's like knocking on doors trying to sell Jesus or Vacuums or whatever. Mostly guys on the Coast and the island have to worry about getting flak for hunting. I have never gotten any flak or anti-hunting sentiment North of Hope. But a lot of anti hunting sentiment comes from guys who talk all rough and tough about hunting and killing usually the same guys who wet the bed as children. Always a very small number. How do we combat this? Take a person out hunting who has nevr gone before, it is always an eye opener for them. That's my two bits.

I can't wait till the draws come back, I plan on going for bison and grizz this year.

Phreddy
06-18-2007, 09:10 PM
For me, the question raises a lot of thoughts, but the final conclusion I've come to is that when I kill my animals, they become meat. Some folks don't like to see meat on the hoof and raise all kinds of stink about it, and fuel the fires for the anti-gun/anti-hunting lobbies.
To me, sticking my fresh shot carcass out in plain view makes as much sense as carrying my beef roasts home from Overwaitea on the hood of my car. What am I trying to prove? That I can kill something? If I need to prove it to someone, then I would say that I must be trying to address a very serious self-image problem.
Generally the only folks I see packing all their game home uncovered anymore are kids who are just getting into hunting and feel that whatever they shot makes them important. Can't recall seeing any older, wiser hunters who know what they're doing need to show off.

waserwolf
06-18-2007, 09:24 PM
there r some bad apples out there and it is up to us to educate the "non hunters" as to what a hunter really is, for me the "killin" is the hardest part, realizin that u just killed something as big as u or bigger is sometimes hard to swallow, but when u grill up that 1st piece of meat that u worked so hard for that feelin seems to subside. I have been surprised at how uneducated some "nonhunters" r, they think that all hunters r out there just to kill something with big horns, the fact is that the only difference between us and them is we get our own meat, they get theirs from some store. Tread lightly and may your shot find its mark.

BlacktailStalker
06-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm proud to hunt. I see what so many people dont see in a whole life time, in just one day. I learn more about myself and spend more time thinking about life than some people are able to because of the fact they are just too caught up in the speed of life. Hunting gives me satisfaction outside of beng satisified with myself, health, stability, accomplishments etc and when a day of hunting goes wrong, it's still never wrong or bad and is an escape from everyday routines we call life.

I think we are reuired to "hide" the fact we hunt. It's b.s and I won't do it. We've alll been in 7-11 grabbing a snack or drink before or after a hunt, gotten the stares etc.
On the ferry one year, we had a couple 4X and better mulie heads/racks under a tarp on top of a camper. The tarp had shifted on the 8 hour drive, revealing one rack and partial head. There was a bus with a few people getting off to head upstairs on the ferry and the traffic deck controller came over and lost it on us, saying we would have to unload if we didnt completely cover any evidence of their being an animal up there. It escalated from there as he was a real prick. If it wasnt a ferry employee he would have been sawing logs on the ground.

Lol my first buck I ever shot was a good 2x3 and I had a jeep then. I had him hung over the spare tire and tied down. I remember heading down the highway @120 and guys rolling up beside me in honking and giving me the thumbs up. That was as great as anything !

Last year this is how my elk rack came home. On the ferry as well :)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/ElkHunt2006033-1.jpg
Firstly, I didn't want the rack rubbing on anything or chipping, so here it was safe. Secondly I was proud as hell, first elk hunt, first elk.

hunter1947
06-19-2007, 05:05 AM
The thing i am ashamed about is i feel sorry for the people that can't get out into the back country and do what i love to do.:mrgreen:

Walksalot
06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Terminology can have a huge impact on perception. We actually do "harvest or "crop off" a percentage of the population any given species of animals, if the population is of the numbers which will allow it, it is all part of a responsible wildlife management strategy. If the numbers are not there then there will not be a season on that particular species.
Personally, I clean up the animal before I take a picture. I made a hunting card out of a picture of a nice buck I "harvested" with my bow. Granted I killed it, I pinned both lungs and watched it go on a death run. I watched it's back legs start to fail as it reached the end of it's life. Do I share this with non hunter, no. I cleaned the blood from the face and stuffed tissue up the nose to stop the blood from running out. When asked for identification at different places I sometimes show my hunting card and I have never had anyone be offended by it, more often I get complimented on it.
Youngsters who grow up in a hunting environment understand the killing of animals but others who have not been exposed to it can be very upset by it. Upset the children and the parents are going to take issue with whatever upset their child. A dead animal can, depending where it was shot can be hard on the eyes. I remember a whitetail buck I shot between the eyes with my 300 win mag. Back at camp one of the guys got so disturbed by the sight of the animal he put a bag over it's head and that's the way we transported it.
A little consideration for people who might get offended by a dead animal will go a long way in having that person acccept the fact a species population has to be managed.

Mr. Dean
06-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Joe Public in general don't/can't/won't accept the fact that our wildlife NEEDS to be managed. There's a huge consensus among them that nature is nature and it should well be left alone. They just don't 'get' how we as hunters actually contribute to animal populations. All they see is an animal being killed and thus a species MUST be on it's way out (threatened, endangered, extinct...). This then pulls on their heartstrings and thus the 'anti-wheel' is set in motion.

Changing a person’s inner core belief is an extremely difficult thing to do. The best that we (hunters) can do is get ourselves informed/educated on wildlife management then pass this info along to others that raise an eye to the activity of. In short, becoming an Ambassador of the hunting fraternity.

I never hide the fact that I hunt. When I head out, it is oooh sooo obviously clear to others I meet (person at the corner gas station, Tim Hortons...), that I am on a mission. If I am lucky and bag something, I don't put it on display but I don't hide it either. If someone wants to be nosey, they can, with little effort, see that there's a dead something loaded somewhere. But it is they that need to take on the inititive.

And if one of these persons that I meet want to have a peek; I ensure that the animal has been previously cleaned up to help eliminate the shock effect. I then encourage conversation and offer the best intell that I can.

In fact, I need to get some Bear pepperoni down to the girl that shlurps me up those early morning, off I go hunting, coffees.... This WAS a person that got all freaked out (understatement) knowing that I'm a Bambi Killer. She's doing much better now over the course of several visits and actually asks how things went since we last met. Through gentle exposure and informed dialect, hunting is no longer something that shakes her inner soul - Views that were instilled through her parents.

She's in university (read: youngish). Hopefully she'll have a positive impact on her kids when they come around in her life, not to mention the newfound awareness that she can pass on to her friends. Hell, maybe she'll even end up taking on a hunter as a spouse. The trickle effect can be endless. These are my rewards of being patient and understanding AND being able to offer her an informed opinion.

To try and sway an emotional view with another view that is based on emotion also is futile. You’re better off to try hunting without any bullets. Chances of success are waaaaay better.

Hopefully my ‘coffee to go girl’ doesn't get a new job anytime soon. I look forward to our visits and will surely miss them when they're gone.

Once again, this is only my opinion. Yours may vary and that's OK.

Islandman
06-19-2007, 08:24 PM
After years of pretending I was doing anything but when I went hunting, I no longer worry about what the neighbours think. I am now married to a woman who sees it as bringing home the meat for the family. And by the way, she says to me, when you shoot a bear can we get the hide made into a rug? It is what it is, and I am proud to show off what I bring home.

Phreddy
06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I tied a dozen eggs on my truck canopy & drove through town today and no one noticed. I wasn't a bit disappointed, and no one got on the anti-hunting bandwagon at me. Go figure.

CHilko21
06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Hunters should not be ashamed...it's these bloody anti hunting, anti this anti that animal rights people who should be ashamed. Because they do not understand, they set out to ruin things for everyone else.... if they believe that shooting a moose, deer, elk or what have you is cruel compared to picking up those sterile white styrofoam packages of hamburger, I say they need to take a visitor's tour through a meat packing plant. The only difference is that you don't have any direct link to the killing of the animal, you're just eating it anyways. I guess I'm lucky that I live in an area where nobody harasses me if I hang my deer in the barn or from a hanging pole in the yard, it's fairly commonplace around here.