PDA

View Full Version : Princeton or Merritt for tommorow's hunt?

DeadlyGame
05-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Looking to try a new area tmrw for spring bear I have been hunting a few Fsr's close to Hope,Boston Bar, Harrison but I'm getting tired of the same ol terrain. Any suggestions on somewhere a few hours from Hope I was thinking either Princeton or Merritt because they prolly have a fair bit of green stuff.

Iron Glove
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Spent a day last week @ Tulameen scouting and such and didn't see a sign of bears, no poop, nothing.

Surrey Boy
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
I'd suggest Princeton. Spent the last few days in 3-12 and saw hardly any sign. Lots of coyotes, though.

Big Hoss
05-07-2015, 12:51 PM
A friend was up at Davis lake quading the other weekend and saw 3 bears and tons of fresh poop. Only an hour and half drive from chilliwack

mcmullmar
05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
I would try
Merritt. Was in Princeton very little sign. 1 pile of poop was all I saw.

DeadlyGame
05-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Spent a day last week @ Tulameen scouting and such and didn't see a sign of bears, no poop, nothing.

Yea I know I went up there on my way back from coldwater last week not much green stuff yet! But a few weeks Tulameen will look great.

Been tracking some bears near Hope,and saw lots of sign on several different FSR's so I have a feeling it's gonna go down soon! :)

But exploring a new area gives you that sense of adventure...and beats looking at the same stumps day after day lol I go hunting atleast 3 times a week it's basically my job now as I am a pensioner and university has just ended

albravo2
05-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Not exactly current info but I spent a fair bit of time last year and the year before in the Eastgate area and saw very little evidence of bear activity. I'm sure they are there, and I've seen lots of sign closer to Hope, but I didn't see much sign around Eastgate.

hparrott
05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
It was beautiful out around Boston Bar two days ago. Got higher up and it was about 2-4 degrees. It started to snow a tiny bit at one point and there was a lot of bear scat so maybe higher elevations are still the key. I left with a sow (my first bear) and took it into Sumas meats yesterday. I was surprised by the thick layer of fat remaining on the bear and the butcher said this is what he has seen over the last week or so with other bears that have come in. With the warm winter and remaining fat reserves the Bears just aren't that hungry yet and because we saw a lot of signs at higher elevations I am willing to bet they are up there and not starving for grass.....

DeadlyGame
05-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Nice that's where I usually hunt...a lot of road hunting/close quarters. Were you on foot when you got the sow I've been hiking the last two times I was there... Nice area but not a lot of cut blocks in Anderson

Gone_Fishin_
05-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Spent all last weekend in Eastgate and didnt see a thing besides some Mulies. Lots of brown and not much growing once you got up the hill, lower elavations headinh in looked decent but just wasn't quite ready yet in my mind. Went up further to Willis Creek FSR and same deal not much for grass and not single scat or sign. Was with the gf though so didnt get out of the truck to much.

Buddy of mine was in Merrit same time came across a Sow with 3 cubs, another youngn that bolted into heavy cover and a decent size bear that he passed on as he believed it was a sow. I contemlated heading over that direction but with travel time and sun dwindling we stuck it out on Willis Creek, nothing.

I'll be heading out this weekend hopefully and will go more west towards Merrit or Boston Bar.

hparrott
05-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Nice that's where I usually hunt...a lot of road hunting/close quarters. Were you on foot when you got the sow I've been hiking the last two times I was there... Nice area but not a lot of cut blocks in Anderson

I was on foot most of the time and then saw the sow just after taking a lunch break and getting in the truck. The only bear I had come across but saw lots and lots of scat. I might head up closer to 100 mile for a change of scenery next week. Hopefully they are moving around up there too.

Wentrot
05-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Saw this fella in region 2 the other day. They be out. He was back on the road eating away on my way out an hour later to lol

https://youtu.be/L3AqYRnYfCE

DeadlyGame
05-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Lol awesome video! Playing some rush doing some spring bear hunting.... Don't know how that could get anymore Canadian lol

DeadlyGame
05-08-2015, 09:29 AM
I was on foot most of the time and then saw the sow just after taking a lunch break and getting in the truck. The only bear I had come across but saw lots and lots of scat. I might head up closer to 100 mile for a change of scenery next week. Hopefully they are moving around up there too.

Yea ear we may be up at a buddy's cabin up at 108 mile so maybe well cya on the trail :) good luck