PDA

View Full Version : Scoping a 300 win mag for bc big game

jedimaster
05-07-2015, 10:48 AM
What sort of scope magnification are you all running and do you wish you had more or less? I am looking to scope out a 300 win mag. Currently I am looking at a Nikon monarch 4x12x50mm. Should I be looking for more reach? I plan on eventually hunting everything BC has to offer. I haven't really seen much territory here. I know where I come from a 3x9 is sometimes too much as the brush is very dense.

BRvalley
05-07-2015, 11:01 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?116017-Best-Leupold-scope-for-30-06

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?115988-Best-scope-for-30-06-big-game-rifle

lots of reading material

I personally have 3 different 4-14 on my rifles and am happy with them for big game...for target or longer varmints a little more reach is nice....3-9 is plenty good enough for any big game hunting imo

steel_ram
05-07-2015, 11:30 AM
I definitely would not go for anything with a minimum magnification higher than 4x. It will cost you animals at close range. Skip the 50mm objective IMO. 40's fine.

ACE
05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Have a couple .300's ....
Leupold Fixed 6x ....... they work well.

BCBRAD
05-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Type and power of scope depends on your hunting style. Eg: if you set up in a clear cut or some other place where a 5-600yd shot can be done then a scope like a 2.5x10 Vortex PST sfp, is about ideal with the EBR reticle and a steady 'off the bi-pod' rest. The lower power of a scope like this is useful when walking to your 'hide'. If you are shooting running game you want a large field of view, this would indicate a scope with a lower range capability.
I use variables (up to 30X) on target rifles but for hunting a straight 6X is ideal for ranges to 600 yards, my favorite is a 6x42 Leupold ER, my load closely approximates the 3 and 400 yard dots and the 500 yard post and gives up nothing on the low end.

jedimaster
05-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Have always been a fan of big glass 50's helps me pick up the low light early am and pm targets. I don't want to be over powered on the close in shots. I am curious how a 6x performs on those in close situations.

BCBRAD
05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Have always been a fan of big glass 50's helps me pick up the low light early am and pm targets. I don't want to be over powered on the close in shots. I am curious how a 6x performs on those in close situations.

Eg: a 6x42 has an exit pupil of 7mm, a young person may be able to us that column of light but by the time your 40 plus that column of light is down to ~5mm and it get s worse from there. Quality of glass makes a huge difference, if you have a 24X scope the quality has to be in the S&B/other high end Euro scopes other wise the scope at higher magnification shows the imperfections better. The medium quality glass on the Leupold 6X is not high enough magnification for this to come out. Nothing worse than a poor quality glass at higher power.
At 6X I have shot animals at 50 feet out to 425 yards, if the rifle /scope combination fits you when you shoulder the rifle the target will be in the scope.......look at the target , shoulder the rifle, the target will be centered in the scope. If it isn't there something wrong with your system. Some people can use 10X but field of view becomes a factor.

ACE
05-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Don't know if you do this but, ......... I shoot with both eyes open. On a lower powered scope with a long eye relief ...... makes shooting at moving game easier (for me)

Agree with Brad on the versatility of the fixed 6x .......... have used them (have three) since 1981. All are du-plex ....

todbartell
05-07-2015, 03:11 PM
I use a Leupold fixed 6x on my 300wm, I like it because of it's long eye relief which is needed on my rifle (Ruger no1 single shot). Otherwise I'd probably be using a Leupold Vx3 3.5-10x40, which in my opinion is the most versatile optic for most hunting situations.

I've shot deer at 20 yards with the 6x42 and wasn't a problem, but it helps when you're familiar with the rifle/scope