PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha viking

walnutz
05-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone owns one of these? About to buy one but looking for some input and opinions. Had a canam commander for a few years so I'm not new to the sxs world but with growing family I need something with more seats and the viking has just that. Pics with gun mounts would be great also. Cheers

No Tag Soup Please
05-06-2015, 06:51 AM
I just ordered one, supposed to be here by the end of the week.

We looked at everything out there and we need something to be able to use for working on the farm as well as hunting with a little bit of just ripping around. The viking and the ranger were the top picks for us and decided to go with the viking. Guess we will see how it goes once it gets here.

recoil
05-06-2015, 11:28 AM
We rented one last year from a guy in Langley, not a bad idea if you want to try before you buy, it was around $150 a day, $750 for 6 days. Machine was very tough we put it through its paces.

Upsides is lots of power and can carry a lot of weight, very effiecient for its size we burned about 15-16L a day while the honda 420 quads used about 12L each over the same distance, no problems starting in -25c.

Downside is that they are very loud and at 6' wide they will get you in trouble fast if you take a trail that was designed for quads or rhinos. they are just as wide as a mid size suv.

Personally i would get something narrower but obviously it depends on where you will be using it.

No Tag Soup Please
05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
I think all side x sides are getting bigger and bigger. The Viking spec sheet says 61.8", the 900xp ranger is 61" and the 570 ranger says 60".

Barracuda
05-06-2015, 03:47 PM
The mid size ranger is 58in the trail rzr is 50in the Honda pioneer 500 is is 50 in the SXS market is comeing up with three widths because of width regs in many places so you have the 50 or less the 60 or less and the +60 full size

swampthing
05-06-2015, 07:18 PM
The Viking should be a solid rig. Arguably it will be the most reliable side by side you can buy. Power will be down compared to the others but it will still get around just fine. I run polaris rangers at work and really like them. I need a new work machine this year and am looking at a Viking this time around. They are priced within about $500 of each other. You can get more options with the ranger for the price. It was an limited edition ranger I priced against a plain jane Viking, both with power steering. The Viking does come standard with doors and a roof, the ranger doesn't. Both will suit you well.

argyle1
05-10-2015, 03:27 PM
I have a ranger 900 xp but will be checking out yamaha next time mostly because waiting for parts from the States gets old fast. I really like the ranger, just not the service. Yamaha has a parts depot in Vancouver so you should be able to get parts anywhere overnight

Battle bay
05-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Upgraded to a camp Viking in dec, love the unit. I installed the sound deadening kit and rhino lined the box, that knocked the sound down, aftermarket tire made a night and difference hoe the machine handled. Windshield is a must, keeps the cold wind down.