PDA

View Full Version : Deer identification

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Well I thought I had whitetail, blacktail, muley, hybrid identification down... but then I started seeing this show up on one of my cams, which isn't very from Hope

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify03_zpspldaxkav.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify02_zpsfucp8dvb.jpg

ACE
05-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Very interesting ......

Have a photo of a Blacktail buck in velvet ....... the old burn area, Manning Park.

Some interesting sightings ....... thanks for posting!

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 08:04 PM
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify04_zpsyeoakkws.jpg

Is this a whitetail or blacktail?!

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Here's a different deer that we had hanging out with us the other day... now this seems more like a blacktail to me... looks like a little buck with tines just starting to grow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIqaLJ0P-U

Apolonius
05-05-2015, 08:10 PM
I would say whitetail.Fluffy tail and small ears.

ACE
05-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Whitetail ........
Have you seen them before at your location?

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Whitetail ........
Have you seen them before at your location?

Never seen whitetails in the Skagit... just mules blacktails and hybrids.

I posted a video of the suspected whitetail attacking a mouse in the "Members pics/vids" section along with some clips of a couple other deers with more mule/bt genetics.

Most of the deer I see in person there are muleish. I see the odd blacktail. My cams show about 50/50 mostly-mule/mostly-blacktail.... never seen a whitetail there. That said, I've never seen a moose there but I've seen a lot of moose nuggets in the spring so I know they hang out. I would too though... nice place to evade wolves.

Anyway I have about 30 mins of footage of the whitetail looking one. She stops at the cam once or twice a day.

leadpillproductions
05-05-2015, 08:44 PM
A whitetail

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Well you guys confirmed my suspicions. Good news is my deer identification is on point but bad news is that there's whitetails around... next they'll be in the Chilliwack valley lol

If I see anymore of these guys I'm going to campaign for a season opening for them ;-P

Sofa King
05-05-2015, 08:59 PM
it's a whitetail.
what would make you think it wasn't?

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 09:07 PM
it's a whitetail.
what would make you think it wasn't?

Location. I just can't comprehend a Skagit whitetail. I was hoping someone would say something about "some mutation and coat this time of year" or look at something-or-other I didn't notice. I'm kind of annoyed they're showing up in the fraser valley. Open season 365 now please. Hopefully it's just a one-off... lost or sick or whatever. There's limited winter and early spring resources for the few BT's that we have.

Sofa King
05-05-2015, 09:13 PM
ya but, that's like seeing a black bear somewhere you've never seen one before and never knew them to be, and wondering if it could maybe be a grizz.
animals can be anywhere.
I would never look at a whitetail and ponder that it might be something else simply because of it's location.
now sasquatch, that's different.
every noise in the dark, shadow in the trees, and unrecognizable blur is definitely a sasquatch.

HeadingOutside
05-05-2015, 09:13 PM
That's the strangest lookin alligator I've ever seen.

Sitkaspruce
05-05-2015, 09:15 PM
You got lots of early action, stick with those sites and see what shows up this summer.

WT's are coming!!! They will find the mild coast home sweet home......

Thanks for posting!!

Cheers

SS

dmaxtech
05-05-2015, 09:26 PM
I have heard of white-tails around Herrling Island.

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 09:27 PM
I really hope they don't take over the coast. I'm a BT fan, so I'm torn between "survival of the fittest" and "invasive species". Why isn't there a season for them in Region 2 while they have open season on does and any-buck in Region 3?

I read something in the hunting synopsis about whitetails around Hope... maybe introduced? Can't remember the context so I'll have to check back. I never gave it a second thought just because I'd never seen one in my areas, but now I'm hitting the panic button. I like biodiversity, but province-wide... whitetails have their place, east of penticton... anywhere west should be whackem 365... or at least sep10 to jun15 like coyotes.

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 09:28 PM
I have heard of white-tails around Herrling Island.

Herrling island rings a bell... I think that was specifically mentioned in the synopsis... just can't remember if they appeared or were introduced... and if introduced, why the heck why?! This is the West Coast, not texas!!!

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 09:31 PM
ya but, that's like seeing a black bear somewhere you've never seen one before and never knew them to be, and wondering if it could maybe be a grizz.
animals can be anywhere.
I would never look at a whitetail and ponder that it might be something else simply because of it's location.
every noise in the dark, shadow in the trees, and unrecognizable blur is definitely a sasquatch.

Like you have never taken home a girl from the bar and found out it wasn't so... don't make me start a poll thread ;-P

ACE
05-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Google ........ Columbian Whitetails

Have an old article of Jack O'Conner's ....... hunting them at the mouth of the Columbia River.

caddisguy
05-05-2015, 09:47 PM
animals can be anywhere.

You raise a good point though... animals can show up anywhere. Moose, wolves, grizz all show up so I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised about a whitetail.

Though if this footage was of a skagit grizz, I'm sure there's be some raging debate over whether it was a black bear or grizzly bear.

I'm just going to write it off as a rare occurrence that might have always been present, just rare. If I start seeing more of them I will revisit the dilemma of whether or not I think they belong on the coast. Until then, I guess it's just neat footage.

CaribooBC
05-05-2015, 10:44 PM
I really hope they don't take over the coast. I'm a BT fan, so I'm torn between "survival of the fittest" and "invasive species". Why isn't there a season for them in Region 2 while they have open season on does and any-buck in Region 3?

I read something in the hunting synopsis about whitetails around Hope... maybe introduced? Can't remember the context so I'll have to check back. I never gave it a second thought just because I'd never seen one in my areas, but now I'm hitting the panic button. I like biodiversity, but province-wide... whitetails have their place, east of penticton... anywhere west should be whackem 365... or at least sep10 to jun15 like coyotes.
We now have lots of WTs in 5-1, we have an open Buck season but no Doe season, not even LEH and we are only a stones throw from Region 3. I have asked why no Doe season in Region 5 and was told straight out that Region 5 hunters would not be able to identify a WT Doe adequately and that there would be too many Mulie Does shot by mistake. Apparently Region 5 hunters are too stupid to hunt WT Does! This came straight from Mr Stewart from Williams Lake. I was very insulted by this statement.

.264winmag
05-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Whitetail I'd say

Gone_Fishin_
05-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Herrling Island has a group of about 30-45 i've been told from a First Nation friends. I seen a half dozen whitetail does on the shorline of the Fraser up there just before Herrling Island while jet boating one time. This was 2010, we slowed down to take a look thinking Blacktail and my experienced hunting buddy right away said "WTF" Whitetail ? a few days later we asked a FN friend and he confirmed yes Whitetail.

Not too far of a hop over the hwy and into Skagit valley. I thought i seen one by Caroline Mine Rd last year but my ID skills were still learning.

caddisguy
05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
The Skagit ecological studies and provincial park data will need to be updated. They list blacktail, mule, hybrid... even grizz, moose, mountain goat and wolf as animals that utilize the valley... no mention of whitetail. I should get an award for my discovery... took me many tick bites to get that footage.

Tīɡ
05-06-2015, 08:13 AM
The Skagit ecological studies and provincial park data will need to be updated. They list blacktail, mule, hybrid... even grizz, moose, mountain goat and wolf as animals that utilize the valley... no mention of whitetail. I should get an award for my discovery... took me many tick bites to get that footage.

Been trying to find a youtube vid for you but not having any luck, anyway a few years back a guy posted a vid that had him fishing the skagit (I recognized the spot) but also part of the vid he had footage of a grizz. It didn't have enough topography in the scene for me to confirm it to be the skagit. But the guy that posted it said it was all in the skagit. I'll keep looking.

caddisguy
05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Been trying to find a youtube vid for you but not having any luck, anyway a few years back a guy posted a vid that had him fishing the skagit (I recognized the spot) but also part of the vid he had footage of a grizz. It didn't have enough topography in the scene for me to confirm it to be the skagit. But the guy that posted it said it was all in the skagit. I'll keep looking.

Would definitely be cool to see grizz or moose footage from there. About 10 years ago while flyfishing the upper river I saw a tank of what I thought was a black bear, but I wasn't very familiar with bear ID. Probability dictates that it was a BB, but well over 400lbs. I'll be leaving some cams up this winter to capture some moose footage. I think it's too late in the spring now but you never know. So far I have mule, blacktail, hybrid, whitetail, cougar, bobcat and coyote... trying to collect them all. After bear season or maybe even before I'll have two more cams up. Trying to cover different sides of a few different mountains on both sides of the valley. Sure was a bummer to lose that one cam... hoping I (or someone) finds it and hears my plea lol

ruger#1
05-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Here's a different deer that we had hanging out with us the other day... now this seems more like a blacktail to me... looks like a little buck with tines just starting to grow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIqaLJ0P-U This deer is a blacktail.

Glenny
05-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Skagit hey. Gotta hit that place hard now :)

caddisguy
05-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Skagit hey. Gotta hit that place hard now :)

Good luck!! It it hits and bites back pretty hard. Most hunters including myself get it handed to them on a regular basis. According to the 1985 ecological studies and hunter surveys, only 1 in close to 50 "hunter days" are successful. It's probably 1 in 200 now and there's 500x the people. Been going there regularly for 20 years but this is my third year hunting. I'm only starting to figure out how to find deer reliably there 1) Hike/bushwhack/climb until your sweaty, bleeding, covered in ticks, clothing ripped and heart ready to explode 2) Repeat until you find deer 3) Prepare to repeat again because starting August 31st, they disappear from where you were watching them all spring and summer. I'm still going to give it a go in the fall--between a few week long Region 3 trips--but I have zero expectations, I'm just batpoop insane and find the valley mysterious.

Wild one
05-06-2015, 12:20 PM
No shock here animals expand their range in BC all the time moose have moved south, elk have expanded into many areas, Mulies have come farther south and west, Grizz showing up on van island, and wolves expanding as well.

Yes, WT have been doing it to but oddly they are being called an invasive species well the others are not. They are really just another native species expanding their range just like the others.

When will people understand this world and animal populations are constantly changing? The animals don't listen to where us humans believe they belong but instead adapt to the conditions.

If man introduced the WT yes cull them but this is a native species expanding their range.

Funny no one is asking to cull the mule deer that expand into blacktail range and they impact blacktail by breeding them out. What about moose in southern BC?

caddisguy
05-06-2015, 01:43 PM
No shock here animals expand their range in BC all the time moose have moved south, elk have expanded into many areas, Mulies have come farther south and west, Grizz showing up on van island, and wolves expanding as well.

Yes, WT have been doing it to but oddly they are being called an invasive species well the others are not. They are really just another native species expanding their range just like the others.

When will people understand this world and animal populations are constantly changing? The animals don't listen to where us humans believe they belong but instead adapt to the conditions.

If man introduced the WT yes cull them but this is a native species expanding their range.

Funny no one is asking to cull the mule deer that expand into blacktail range and they impact blacktail by breeding them out. What about moose in southern BC?

You raise a lot of good points, particularly about mules competing with and breeding out blacktails. Though I don't think a few moose in Region 2 will impact other animals or that we'll ever see them in any significant numbers. I also can't see Region 1-2 supporting many grizz. I can see the potential for the whitetail population to take off though. I'm not crazy about the idea anymore than I would be seeing a wolf population take off. I do believe things like wolf culls and coyote NBL's and most open seasons for that matter play a role in conservation.

Anyway, it's only one doe so far and she seems to be on our her own. I have a feeling it's a one-off and she's probably getting ready to head back to Princeton. Though maybe it's the moose and whitetails bringing in all these dang ticks into Region 2

Wild one
05-06-2015, 02:09 PM
You raise a lot of good points, particularly about mules competing with and breeding out blacktails. Though I don't think a few moose in Region 2 will impact other animals or that we'll ever see them in any significant numbers. I also can't see Region 1-2 supporting many grizz. I can see the potential for the whitetail population to take off though. I'm not crazy about the idea anymore than I would be seeing a wolf population take off. I do believe things like wolf culls and coyote NBL's and most open seasons for that matter play a role in conservation.

Anyway, it's only one doe so far and she seems to be on our her own. I have a feeling it's a one-off and she's probably getting ready to head back to Princeton. Though maybe it's the moose and whitetails bringing in all these dang ticks into Region 2

I am only saying species expanding there natural range is common in nature not that all species impact others when they do

Really it is a natural thing that has been going on through out time all over the planet.

As for the ticks you get bad years and often it is because of mild weather

olympia
05-06-2015, 02:25 PM
We now have lots of WTs in 5-1, we have an open Buck season but no Doe season, not even LEH and we are only a stones throw from Region 3. I have asked why no Doe season in Region 5 and was told straight out that Region 5 hunters would not be able to identify a WT Doe adequately and that there would be too many Mulie Does shot by mistake. Apparently Region 5 hunters are too stupid to hunt WT Does! This came straight from Mr Stewart from Williams Lake. I was very insulted by this statement.

I hear you region 5 peoeple are kept around for research purposes only hahahhahahah

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Mr Stewart is Golden!!:lol: