PDA

View Full Version : boat operator liscence

shed-hunter1
05-04-2015, 07:53 PM
does any body know where I could write the test for the boat liscence in Kamloops I don't want to do it online thanks

Johnny G1
05-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Very simple and easy online, 3 chances can't go wrong.

justachip
05-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Doesnt that captian Jim put on courses around Kamloops

Sunzuki
05-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Next time you're up at Wholesale Sports, maybe check at the customer service desk just inside
the door to your right.
They might know who is offering this up.

MB_Boy
05-04-2015, 09:10 PM
does any body know where I could write the test for the boat liscence in Kamloops I don't want to do it online thanks

Do you want to take a course too or do you just want to challenge the test? If "yes" to the course.....then look here. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_operator-3718.htm

Quick question but why don't you want to take the test online? You just need a 'supervisor' which can be anyone with a card who signs up as one; I am one and have supervised a bunch of friends and family challenging the test online.

I would venture a guess that if you DON'T want to do it online you're going to be hard pressed to do it manually unless you took a boating course. To be honest though I don't know if at the end of a boating course if they even do the test on paper or just have the students do it online and it's over and done with.

weatherbyjunkie
05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
There is a company that does it at Canadian tire in the parking lot every year in the spring,write the test and only pay if u pass

two-feet
05-04-2015, 09:22 PM
don't boat drunk, wear your pfd. pay money. now you know

shed-hunter1
05-04-2015, 09:27 PM
I need to take the course I geusse since theres questions on sail boats and tug boats

Drillbit
05-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Probably had a table set up at the Kamloops gun show the other day.

Wait till the boat or RV show comes to town, they usually have a table set-up

shed-hunter1
05-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Probably had a table set up at the Kamloops gun show the other day.

Wait till the boat or RV show comes to town, they usually have a table set-up
went to both no tables set up this year

MB_Boy
05-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I need to take the course I geusse since theres questions on sail boats and tug boats

Have a look here. You can register and review the manual/study online. Then you just need to do the test online unless you are very interested in taking it in a classroom.

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

r106
05-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Have a look here. You can register and review the manual/study online. Then you just need to do the test online unless you are very interested in taking it in a classroom.

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

Thats what i did. I didn't know shit about boating and i took that course online and passed. Easy

shed-hunter1
05-04-2015, 10:11 PM
ok thanks for your help

itsy bitsy xj
05-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Call a local boat dealer they should be able to tell you who and where

MB_Boy
05-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Just an FYI.....the only questions regarding those vessels would likely to be about right of way if under sail etc. if memory serves me correct.

EVERYTHING that may appear on the test will be in the online study/test link I sent you.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-05-2015, 11:33 AM
I signed up with Boat smart just last sunday. OMFG!!! What a waste of time for someone like me who's going to be running an electric on a 12' tinney. I put in about 9 hrs and I only got through 4 out of the 7 modules. There's a quiz after each module and if you get less than 80% you have to re-take the module.
Did I eff up here and sign up for the wrong course???????

SSS

Gateholio
05-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I did the test when it first came out, for $10. Lost my card.....I guess I have to pay $50 now :(

MB_Boy
05-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I did the test when it first came out, for $10. Lost my card.....I guess I have to pay $50 now :(

Gate....my bro-in-law lost his and with a bit of Googling you can find out how to get a replacement.

For anyone going on to the BoaterExam link I provided, before you do type in a Google search "boater exam promo codes". You'd be surprised what you may find. I 'supervised' about 4-5 people doing their a few years back and I think they all did it for about half price.

MB_Boy
05-05-2015, 12:21 PM
I signed up with Boat smart just last sunday. OMFG!!! What a waste of time for someone like me who's going to be running an electric on a 12' tinney. I put in about 9 hrs and I only got through 4 out of the 7 modules. There's a quiz after each module and if you get less than 80% you have to re-take the module.
Did I eff up here and sign up for the wrong course???????

SSS

Brent.....get the booklet in a hard copy or go to the link I posted about Boater Exam. Search for promo codes and do it that way. Just challenge it and you'll be fine with a bit of reviewing of the booklet or the "study" portion on Boater Exam.

Then.....find a buddy who has his/her card and get them to sign up as a Supervisor. Then.....they sit next to you and watch you do the test online; easy peezy. :wink:

All the info for supervisor etc is on BoaterExam.

hare_assassin
05-05-2015, 01:09 PM
I used AceBoater.com. No supervisor necessary. Worked through the modules one afternoon at work (couple hours, tops). Took the test. Paid my $50. Printed out a temporary licence and was "legally" zipping my 16' canoe and Minn Kota around the lake the following day. Received the licence in the mail a couple weeks later.

MB_Boy
05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Good to know hare-assassin.....it's been a few years since I "supervised" so maybe it's not even a requirement anymore?

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/overview-en.aspx

Actually just looked at the link above and seeing as it denotes it IS an "open book" exam I would imagine they did away with having a 'supervisor'.....which quite frankly was pointless to begin with. :-P

Sure it gave me a few minutes to flex my authority while drinking a beer sitting on the deck in Kyuquot.....but all in all it was more of a power mongering situation for me as opposed to serving a purpose. :-P

Fisher-Dude
05-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Do you have a le-senz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnlIWpZSPXU

Stone Sheep Steve
05-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Yes. I don't have the book (that's another $20-30-can't remember off hand) so after getting 70% on the second module and having to repeat it, I've been taking lots of notes. That's probably why it's been taking me so long.

Fisher-Dude
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Yes. I don't have the book (that's another $20-30-can't remember off hand) so after getting 70% on the second module and having to repeat it, I've been taking lots of notes. That's probably why it's been taking me so long.

Took me 20 minutes to write mine in the mall. That was 12 years ago, when they first came out.

You procrastinating slackers are paying for your laziness now! That'll learn ya!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Took me 20 minutes to write mine in the mall. That was 12 years ago, when they first came out.

You procrastinating slackers are paying for your laziness now! That'll learn ya!

Funny- I even started a thread on HBC about the rules toughening up .......but I never had a motor until last year.
Should have heeded my own advice.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?54651-Boating-Certificate-about-to-toughen-up

Fisher-Dude
05-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Funny- I even started a thread on HBC about the rules toughening up .......but I never had a motor until last year.
Should have heeded my own advice.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?54651-Boating-Certificate-about-to-toughen-up

You listened to this guy:

No sir, won't do it. They can put those courses where the sun don't shine...I have a completed copy of the rental boat safety checklist...that proves my competency...and it was free!!!!

hare_assassin
05-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Good to know hare-assassin.....it's been a few years since I "supervised" so maybe it's not even a requirement anymore?

I dunno. First I heard about the supervisor was the other day - a co-worker mentioned it. I said "that's odd because I used a website and there was no requirement". Then I saw this thread and again people mentioning the supervisor. Maybe that site I used is breaking the rules? Either way, it was quick and painless and I figured it might help someone to try that site.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I dunno. First I heard about the supervisor was the other day - a co-worker mentioned it. I said "that's odd because I used a website and there was no requirement". Then I saw this thread and again people mentioning the supervisor. Maybe that site I used is breaking the rules? Either way, it was quick and painless and I figured it might help someone to try that site.

That was under the old system. Since we now have to work through each module and pass each section, this pretty much guarantees, that we did work through the course.

BRvalley
05-06-2015, 12:38 PM

there was no central registry for the first few years and if you lost the card you were SOL, but that has been fixed...if I remember right, it costs $20 for 1 replacement card, or $30 for 3, they email you a temporary licence to print off, that is good for 60 days until your cards arrive

imo the course is just a cash grab, very easy to pass, very easy to cheat and not learn anything....there were a few navigational and technical questions, for most people it's all basic common sense, but we all know how much that is lacking sometimes...and idiots are still idiots even with the card

Stresd
05-06-2015, 02:13 PM
2005 in the Whalley, Canadian Tire parking lot is when I took what was (back then)a joke of a test. $25 bucks I think. Definitley just a money grab back then. Lost wallet about a year later and was able to get a new license reissued by these guys. Picked up a few spares recently from them as well, for when out on the waverunners.

https://cde.boaterexam.com/canada/lostcards

shed-hunter1
05-06-2015, 10:33 PM
took the course passed 88 percent took me 5 hours thanks for the help