PDA

View Full Version : Bringing firearms accessories from the US

jedimaster
05-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Going to be headed to seattle next weekend was wondering what I can pickup down there. I was going to buy a scope as I am 99 percent sure optics are ok, but can I buy brass, bullets and dies for reloading? I presume powder wold be a no. What about things like slings etc..

BRvalley
05-04-2015, 11:47 AM
riflescopes are ITAR controlled for import/export, so you won't be coming home with a scope next weekend

you can do it, but need proper paperwork in place and go through a registered importer, I used irrunguns.ca

Steeleco
05-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Sadly you're 110% WRONG!! Almost nothing on your list is allowed to be EXPORTED from the USA. Don't confuse IMPORTING into Canada with the former. The only optics you can purchase in the states and bring home is Bino's and Range finders. The only reloading items are the tools themselves. The components used in the making of a bullet are NOT allowed. The sling is allowed, pretty short list huh?

Now you may get lots of "advice" that "I do it all the time" but because they didn't get caught doesn't make it legal.

There is a sticky on this subject in the politics section. Have a read and decide for yourself if it's worth the savings?

jedimaster
05-04-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't have any interest in getting nabbed. If it's not allowed it's not allowed. No big deal. Well, could have saved some coin but oh well. Thanks for the info folks.

russm
05-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Factor in the exchange rate, travel time etc and you probably wouldn't save much anyway.

Bubba123
05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
If you get caught up in one of those CBP stings just before the border, and you get caught with firearms accessories controlled by ITAR, you will get your goods seized, your vehicle seized, and you will spend the night in Jail.

dadof6
05-04-2015, 03:41 PM
I have brought back a scope from the US into Canada no problem. Just saying. They opened it up and everything.

dadof6
05-04-2015, 03:41 PM
no paperwork

05-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I have brought back a scope from the US into Canada no problem. Just saying. They opened it up and everything.

They being the Canadian Border have no issues with it....... the US border has the issue with the Export of it... we can debate weather the US will ever "Open your bags" on the way out but that does not change the fact that it is illegal....
If US Border stop you just before Canada and find the scope you are toast.... once infront of CBSA they dont care

Edzzed
05-04-2015, 03:50 PM
I have brought back a scope from the US into Canada no problem. Just saying. They opened it up and everything.The problem isn't with bringing the scope into Canada, The problem is leaving the USA with it.

Steeleco
05-04-2015, 04:33 PM

And the BATF are reading your post!!

Cdn-Redneck
05-04-2015, 05:02 PM
I have walked across the border at sumas to pick up a package. I can't remember what it was but had no restrictions on it. On my way back US border call me back in to confirm my story that I told the guards on the way down. I was good to go but had it been something that I mislead them about or had it been something like a rifle scope it could have been a big issue for me. If you are unsure ask on your way down.

Singleshotneeded
05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Going to be headed to seattle next weekend was wondering what I can pickup down there. I was going to buy a scope as I am 99 percent sure optics are ok, but can I buy brass, bullets and dies for reloading? I presume powder wold be a no. What about things like slings etc..

You can't buy ammo, any sort of sights like tritium or scopes, magazines, powder, night vision, etc.. You can buy slings, cleaning products, gun stocks...accessories basically. ATF sets up road checks regularly just south of the border, and if you're caught it's a felony, a big fine, and no visits to the US for a long long time.

mike-juliet
05-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Sadly you're 110% WRONG!! Almost nothing on your list is allowed to be EXPORTED from the USA. Don't confuse IMPORTING into Canada with the former. The only optics you can purchase in the states and bring home is Bino's and Range finders. The only reloading items are the tools themselves. The components used in the making of a bullet are NOT allowed. The sling is allowed, pretty short list huh?

Now you may get lots of "advice" that "I do it all the time" but because they didn't get caught doesn't make it legal.

There is a sticky on this subject in the politics section. Have a read and decide for yourself if it's worth the savings?

Actually, some laser rangefinders are also covered by ITAR, as are some binoculars that MIL reticles in them. ITAR just gets broader and broader..

jedimaster
05-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Well the cost savings are pretty good considering g it's a nikon that's on sale, basically half the price new for what people want used up here. Plus I am already going down and driving right past the store and will likely be in there looking around anyway. Either way I have no interest in doing it if it's illegal. Not my cup of tea. :)

Ranger95
05-04-2015, 09:44 PM
And the BATF are reading your post!!

And do they know who I am - right here in Canada - wow! Now that's some stealthy stuff that they own eh?

itsy bitsy xj
05-04-2015, 10:33 PM
And do they know who I am - right here in Canada - wow! Now that's some stealthy stuff that they own eh?

Of course they don't snoop around web sites like this, and they certainlt can't track youe IP address and don;t worry about the satalites they have buzzing around they aren't spying on us

Steeleco
05-04-2015, 10:38 PM

No, but I do!!

Jagermeister
05-04-2015, 10:53 PM
The few $$ you might save is not worth the hassle of apprehension. You will become persona no grata never again to set foot on US soil. You know those trips to foreign places, like Africa or warm places, that stage from US major airports? Forget those, they will bag you up and ship you back but not before detention or not let you past the gate on this side.

b.c hunter 88
05-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Just went throw all this the usa are trying to keep ammo in the states only now that's why ammo getting hard to find. Wood stocks it started as a gun issue then the export of woods. Lol we just can't win

huntcoop
05-05-2015, 02:59 PM
No, but I do!!

:lol: classic, the mods know EVERYTHING :lol:

Steeleco
05-05-2015, 04:47 PM
:lol: classic, the mods know EVERYTHING :lol:

Nobody ever said that!! But I do know who he ISN'T!!

Amphibious
05-05-2015, 06:03 PM
The yanks found a single round of live ammo in my truck (.223 wedged in a carpet seam under a seat) during a random search and I was there for hours and am now most likely flagged for life.

Firearm parts are a BIG DEAL to them. Spend a little time online and read about US customs/homeland security/BATF powers and you'll shit. not worth the risk.

j270wsm
05-06-2015, 10:27 PM
I was told( by USA boarder guards ) that you can pretty much buy anything you want, but the catch is you CAN'T be in possession of reloading components or any range finding device or device that can be used to determine distance. This was told to me over the phone less than 5 months ago.

Bunner
05-06-2015, 11:20 PM
So how come I bought all my reloading stuff from the states, goes though customs to my door and all I pay is duty? I still by dies from there and little things I can't find up north here
so half ass backwards

Ohwildwon
05-07-2015, 12:16 AM
So how come I bought all my reloading stuff from the states, goes though customs to my door and all I pay is duty? I still by dies from there and little things I can't find up north here
so half ass backwards

Legal Document = So Half Ass Backwards....:-)

BRvalley
05-07-2015, 07:58 AM
the exemption limit for paperwork was raised to $500, previously 100, so that helps with ordering little stuff

but when paperwork is required, in order for the vendor to legally export, some places refuse to deal with Canadians because of the extra hassle, ie DIP products and Richards Microfit stocks, I wish they both would lol...I ordered 450 worth of stuff from PTG in Oregon and it was pretty smooth, pay and wait for shipping

Steeleco
05-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Reloading tools are OK, brass, primers and so on are not.

Glenny
05-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Not worth the time and effort.

Ranger95
05-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Nobody ever said that!! But I do know who he ISN'T!!

Steelie ....

If you can start the day without caffeine

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment

If you can conquer tension without medical help

If you can relax without alcohol

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs

Then You Are Probably The Family Dog!

And you thought I was going to get all spiritual ... Or nasty eh?

But listen carefully good friend....

Strive to Handle every Stressful situation like a dog, If you can't eat it or play with it, Piss on it and walk away.

boxhitch
05-08-2015, 08:43 AM
I was told( by USA boarder guards ) that you can pretty much buy anything you want, but the catch is you CAN'T be in possession of reloading components or any range finding device or device that can be used to determine distance. This was told to me over the phone less than 5 months ago.Ask for that in writing and see what you get. Someones opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it.

itsy bitsy xj
05-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I was told( by USA boarder guards ) that you can pretty much buy anything you want, but the catch is you CAN'T be in possession of reloading components or any range finding device or device that can be used to determine distance. This was told to me over the phone less than 5 months ago.

I wonder how many snowbirds have bought range finders for on the golf course without knowing they are breaking federal law