PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shot placement for bear in light of the article posted by pin_head

ekul246
05-03-2015, 07:25 PM
This was originally posted on a thread by pin_head.

http://www.bear-hunting.com/2014/5/middle-of-the-middle-redefining-shot-placement

What are your opinions on applying this to rifle hunting? Do you go "the middle of the middle" or for the shoulder shot to break the shoulder and knock him down? Or stick with the behind the shoulder shot?

When I shot my first bear it was a behind the shoulder shot while quartering away. The shot dumped him hard and he was dead really quick a couple feet from where I shot him.

So I know that behind the shoulder works, but might do it a bit differently based on this article depending what shot is available.

Opinions?

ekul246

.264winmag
05-03-2015, 08:00 PM
I like to put it right on the facing shoulder, play the odds...

Drillbit
05-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I double tap, center mass, whatever way it is facing.

steel_ram
05-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Shoulder only. You want to break them. A lung shot bear can travel a long way and they have a habit of disappearing.

M.Dean
05-04-2015, 07:47 AM
I don't shoot bear cuz I don't eat them, nor do I want a bear hide, But, no matter what the animal, I try to hit them as far as possible from the guts, yet kill them quickly. Shooting any animal, "Center Mass" as some call it because that's the term used on all the hollywood sniper shows, makes one hell'va mess inside the critter. Snipers like that shot because it's the biggest part of the human body, and, as far as I know, not many snipers have to gut and hang the meat after the shot. But, each to there own, I try to hit most animals through the heart lung area, or the neck when possible, causing them to die real fast, and this way I don't up-chuck to much when gutting the animal from the smell of the green bile running all over the meat!

Steeleco
05-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Boiler room, every time. I have found if the bear is alerted to us they do tend to run a little, but if the bear is oblivious to us, they usually drop right where they are standing.
Neither area is better than the other, it all depends on what shot your afforded and your ability to hit what your aiming at.

Ambush
05-04-2015, 08:46 AM
"Middle of the middle" is boiler room on a bear.

tomcat
05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Shoulder only. You want to break them. A lung shot bear can travel a long way and they have a habit of disappearing.The article is about bow hunting and I agree with the middle of the middle in this regard as an arrow will not bust a shoulder. But, yes a SHOULDER SHOT WITH A RIFLE.

Ltbullken
05-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Looking at the anatomy, it makes sense to aim farther back.

Drillbit
05-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Boiler room, every time. I have found if the bear is alerted to us they do tend to run a little, but if the bear is oblivious to us, they usually drop right where they are standing.
Neither area is better than the other, it all depends on what shot your afforded and your ability to hit what your aiming at.

This has been my experience too.