PDA

View Full Version : new bow

Rookie
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey all.Ijust purchesd my first bow and was wondering where I could get info on instruction and availability of a bowhunting course,I live close to pemberton.thanks

moose hunter
04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I did not take a course, for bow hutning i went to canadian tire and bought one of the foam deer targets, put it on ym lanw and practiced my ass off simple as that. As for instructions Put the knock of the arrow on the string pull back,aim and release.

bsa30-06
04-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Rookie, tell us what you bought?As for bowhunting course stay tuned alot of very knowledgable archery/bowhunting people on this site you will get the answer youre looking for. I bought my first bow last year a browning rage compound.

Rookie
04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
The bow I bought is a Diamond Rapture,Igot the full kit from hunters friend out of Kentucky.

Gateholio
04-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Jake, there are a number of experienced bow hunters in the club, and several of them keep bringing up the topic of archery facilities at our range.

I suggest you try to make the next meeting, see if you can hook up wiht one of these guys, there seems to be one at every meeting.

I didn't find it too difficult to become reasonably porficient at shooting Robs bow, (although I used a bow quite a bit when I was younger) and if I was more interested in bow hutning, I would just keep practicing...Biggest problem is gettign the deer to stay put while you sneak up on them!!8-)

Sideofabarn
04-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Hot damn, that sounds like a sweet setup! :cool:

Rookie
04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks Gate,yea I`ll try to make it out to the next meeting.

tailgate77
04-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I am a self learning bowshooter(not hunter yet cause I haven't killed anything) I read some books, I talked to the guy at the archery shop here in town, and I learned from this site. I have read lots of magazines, Bowhunter, and Traditional bowhunter are my favorites. Above all shoot lots and you will get better faster. One thing I learned is to not be afraid to try things, be sure your nock point is in the right spot, as is your rest. I feel like the sights are the least important part of the set up. Also get a loop installed for your release. Be consistent with your stance and anchor point. Good luck If I can help PM me.

Elkhound
04-13-2007, 05:47 PM
nice set up. Hunters friend has some great packages. Bought my package from them as well.

J_T
04-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Rookie. Way to go. Not only a great hunting set up but a great recreational pursuit to.

The BCAA lead on bowhunter education courses is Ted Kennedy. I know he doesn't get on this site, but his email is ted.kennedy@shaw.ca You can pop him an email and see if he has anything coming up. I know he just did a course in the lower mainland.

The IBEP (International Bowhunter Education Course) is a great course for anyone getting into bowhunting. It provides a great opportunity to get together with like-minded people and tell hunting stories with a lesson to be learned.

I know there is a group on the Island that are trying to pull together a course right now as well. The IBEP is a Friday night and two full day course. Doug Storozynski (I think he lives in Chilliwack) (I don't think he's on here at all) is a great instructor and doesn't seem to mind traveling to put on a course.

Good luck and enjoy.

JT

The Hermit
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I think it is important to take the course if for no other reason to lend credibility to the bowhunting fraternity in the eyes of the MOE and anti-hunting contingent. I expect to learn lots about the sport frm other experienced bow hunters too! I bought the course materials on the IBEP web site and studied up and watched the videos on my own ... suggest everyone should take the course especially those new to hunting.

Gateholio
04-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie,

While courses like IBEP etc are a good thing, chances are you want to get out with that bow and tackle a bear.

Chances of a course near you are slim, so hooking up with another bowhunter ( Like Rob) and getting a few tips would make more sense, and if you feel the need, track down a course sometime in the future.