PDA

View Full Version : hunting in africa information

natebavis
04-29-2015, 10:57 PM
First off , I am not going to Africa. changing too many diapers these days!!! What I would like to know is:

1. What is the most reliable up to date information regarding conservation and hunting in African countries? Just Google?

2. Do most companies/outfitters require the meat to go to locals, or is that even required at all? As seen on Wild TV.

3.How many countries are doing way better than the 70's ish when there wasn't for employment of former poachers?

4. Is it really sustainable to shoot lions tigers and such? Knowing that obviously every country and zone would have different numbers like home

I guess I have lots of jumbled questions, as seen above. Reason I ask is because I want to be more educated when debating with Anti's or haters when this subject comes up, and it does. I guess main question is ,where is the best info on what, I believe is a great thing in Africa. Provides jobs, animals are bread for harvest. locals benefit. Money goes into conservation and anti poaching efforts.
Nate

Spy
04-29-2015, 11:17 PM
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/10467118_672379986184977_7673345282134137026_o_zps rw3ixg6g.jpg (http://s794.photobucket.com/user/Hunterspy/media/10467118_672379986184977_7673345282134137026_o_zps rw3ixg6g.jpg.html)

Rhyno
04-30-2015, 06:26 AM
At the recent R&G club banquet in Fernie I chatted with a guy who owns an outfit in South Africa. He stated the numbers indicated above. I asked about quota's, he said my land, my animals....he owns them. But it doesn't make sense for him to over harvest because he would be shooting him self in the foot for the future.....hence the increase in game populations. There is a great video on here some where about lion hunting and how it is beneficial. Basically if there is no trophy hunting ranchers and land owners shoot everyone they see, but if there is hunting they have financial incentive to coexist with them....obivously this is me summarizing it but you should try to find it.

On a side note he can believe how BC is dealing with its predator problem...by that I mean not at all.

ratherbefishin
04-30-2015, 02:18 PM
My hunting partner is DrAndre Trutor from South Africa,and I'm sure he could point anybody looking for an African hunt in the right direction.( he grew up on a game farm)
I know he suggests going for leopards rather than lions(way more sporting and less expensive) and going on a biltong meat hunt is a fraction of a trophy hunt,but still a very impressive animal