PDA

View Full Version : PoCo F&G closing?????

308BAR
04-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Please could any one confirm if PoCo "burke mountain" F&G is closing? Or am I reading to much into it.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=629f9d12-244a-4e5e-b65e-0e9d944374c3

$26 million targeted for Vancouver police shooting range

$26 million targeted for police shooting range
and ‘ force options’ training facility in city
Frances Bula, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER | The city is about to spend $ 26 million to build a shooting range and “ force options” training facility for police, since the only other training range in the Lower Mainland is about to shut down.

A report going to council Tuesday recommends the city move ahead with designing and building the new facility on False Creek Flats, since officers are now having to train at a range in Port Coquitlam, which is due to be closed.

Although police also desperately need a forensic storage facility, the report argues that the training facility will have to be built first because Vancouver has no other choice.

The city had hoped to share the costs with the RCMP, but that agency decided instead to train its officers at a range in Chilliwack. Now the city is hoping to recover some costs by renting its space at times to other agencies such as TransLink, Canada Customs, or private security companies.

Vancouver police did their firearms training until 1995 in the basement of the central police station at 312 Main St., but that had to be closed because of what the report describes as “ environmental problems [ lead poisoning of staff and users].” Since then, police have been training at a range on Burke Mountain in Port Coquitlam, but the report notes it is costing a lot in travel time for officers to go there to do their mandatory training.

Derp
04-13-2007, 09:16 AM
the cops aren't training at the poco shooting range, they're shooting someplace close by. So I think what it's saying is that their range is closing not the Poco Range. Correct me If I'm wrong.

pitdog
04-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Trying to call there now .Damn busy signal.:mad:

The Dawg
04-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I just paid $170 for a flippin' membership 2 weeks ago there...they better not be :evil:

pitdog
04-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Just got through to the PoCo F&G Gun Club and the guy I talked to said they are not closing. :lol:

The Dawg
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks....now someone should call the paper and get them to retract that post ...scared the $ outta me 8)

Maxx
04-13-2007, 11:20 AM
the cops were using a different range in PoCo,

Derp
04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
yes, I think the paper was talking about the range the rcmp were using (not the public range) which is located close to the public range

Cdn-Redneck
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
There is an RCMP range at the end of Pipeline rd. It is not the PoCo club range. I don't know if the club is closing just that the ranges are different.

1/2 slam
04-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble folks:mad: but the Vancouver Police DO use the range at the PoCo F&G club.

Maxx
04-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble folks:mad: but the Vancouver Police DO use the range at the PoCo F&G club.

but do the RCMP?

pmj
04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
From the Port Coquitlam & District Hunting & Fishing Club web site.

Vancouver Sun Statement Is Incorrect
Dear Mr. Editor,

I read your article in The Sun dated Friday, April 13.2007 (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=629f9d12-244a-4e5e-b65e-0e9d944374c3) regarding the Vancouver Police building a training centre in Vancouver.

The information regarding the Port Coquitlam & District Hunting & Fishing Club (PCDHFC) is incorrect.

The article states, "...the only other training range in the Lower Mainland is about to shut down.' and "...officers are now having to train at a range in Port Coquitlam, which is due to be closed.".

The fact is that PCDHFC has been in operation for over 50 years and has a current lease on the 35 acre property until April 2014, 7 years from now. The 1800 member club is already in process to insure that 2014 is not the end of the clubs time on Burke Mountain.

Stories such as this lead to a great deal of concern and anxiety in the community for our shooting sports venue. The club has very viable and strong ties to the community as a member of the Chamber of Commerce and by contributing over $3000 each year to the local food banks, providing training for cadets, Junior Olympic archers, Scouts and the general public. Add to this our hatchery on the Coquitlam River and it is easy to see that this long estabished club plays a vital part in the community.

The club is not only a training centre for VPD but also to New Westminster Police Service, RCMP detachments, Sheriff's Department, Churchill Armoured car and others who may need the site.

In 2007 alone our club is hosting the 30th Annual IPSC National Championships that will see over 300 athletes from around Canada and the world attend. They will contribute significantly to the tourism and economy of not only the Tri-Cities area but the Lower Mainland in general.

The club is also a site for the 2009 World Police and Fire Games and a site the 2010 Olympic athletes may use as well. I would respectfully request that should any of your staff wish to gather information relative to our club, have them contact me directly.

Yours truly,

Murray Gardner
1st Vice President
Range Operator
Trustee