PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some buying advice

HeadingOutside
04-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in need of a new tent. We have been using a cheapo 15 year old Coleman that is showing the signs of its age. I'm a younger guy and not in a place where I can store/afford to keep a trailer or camper so tent it is. I'm fortunate enough that I am able to spend about every weekend hunting in the fall. Leave late on Saturday night, arrive at around midnight to "the spot."
This leads me to believe that wall tents are out. I need a sturdy but still decently quick to set up tent. Budget around $750. Anyone suggestions folks?

Devon

keoke
04-28-2015, 05:04 PM
tipi tent would be a nice setup with light weight stove

http://www.tipitent.com/ right in your budget as well

Liveforthehunt
04-28-2015, 05:15 PM
tipi tent would be a nice setup with light weight stove

http://www.tipitent.com/ right in your budget as well

I have had some bad experiences with tipi tents.... material even with a tarp is so thin and light with your stove and wind in the wrong direction or swirling and your burning multiple holes in your tent.... unless your talking canvas ? I personally will never even consider a tipi tent again. I was very diligent and non complacent to do a good job with the fire as well nothing worked it got windy you got holes.

goatdancer
04-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Cabela's has one called Alaknak (or something similar) that is a top notch tent. Check it out to see if it's in your price range.

caddisguy
04-28-2015, 05:28 PM
I've been using a $20 tent that I bought at Superstore about 12 years ago... no problems at all. It's seen a couple hundreds days/nights of various elements, -15 to 40C. I rely on a sleeping bag, foam mat and sometimes hot rocks to keep warm. I have a friend who bought a high tech slick/sexy space-age one from MEC for $300 and it lasted a couple trips. What are your needs? If nothing fancy like a furnace, I'd go for a $50 tent and $700 toy :)

WesHarm
04-28-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm with caddis on the el cheapo tent, ge another 100$ Coleman, get it to last another 15 years, but 650$ Toy... That being said, I used an alaknak for 4 months as my only accommodation in the Yukon and I have 0 complaints about it what so ever, about 20 mins to set up or take down and your good to go. (That being said practice set up makes it much faster ;)

.264winmag
04-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Picked up a Cabelas guide ISQ off a HBC member, same material as Alaknak just different layout. Awesome tent, definitely a good route if you want to run a wood stove. Little over $1k though, bighorn prolly a good bet too. Seen the outfitters using these in their camps also:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/852/cabelas-alaskan-guide-geodesic-tent
in your price range...

Rob Chipman
04-28-2015, 06:22 PM
I think the choice depends on how you plan to use it. I've got a Tarn from MEC that is great quality and has been bomb proof, but it's a crawl in and sleep tent, not a sit around and play crib in tent. Fast set up and you can pack it in to the mountains if you like. http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-698/mec-tarn-3-tent/ Room for two and a dog, and a vestibule for keeping gear dry. Set it up by yourself in the dark in 5 minutes.

Mind you, I'm a bit like Caddisguy. I usually use a guide tarp and am saving my money for a good spotting scope.

Rocks are good, but a Nalgene bottle filled with hot water before bed works great too, and dries out socks pretty well :-)

Big Lew
04-28-2015, 06:23 PM
My wife and I have been using a Coleman Instant tent (6 person) now for 4 years.
It sets up and takes down very easily and quickly, is waterproof without a fly, has
a great waterproof bottom, and is well built. We do use a light tarp ground sheet
though to reduce the chances of a sharp rock or stick from puncturing it. We have
set it up well after dark many times with just a flashlight without problems.
Because it sets up and takes down so quickly, we don't get stressed out by mosquitos
or rain anywhere as much as we used to with normal pole tents.

Fred1
04-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Im in the same tent as you... Been looking and trying to get the best for my needs. The Hillebergs are awesome! I had a first hand look at the Ajan 2($630 USD + ship and potential duty... ching ching) a few months ago. I wish I had bought when the dollar was better. I still may swallow it up and get one. Incredible quality. I just recently looked at a Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2DP (about $450 CAD) and it appears to be a good one too! The guy who owns it, uses it and loves it! I have a friend who know a guy who has the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 ($500CAD) and he says the same. From my research I don't think you can go wrong with the big names. But what I would look at is you potential use, time of year, rain snow wind etc. free standing vs guy lines and stakes, how far are you going to carry it and things like vestibules. Some tents drip water into the tent when the door is open. Anyway there are lots of reviews out there. Ford Chev Dodge, 270wsm, 300 winn, 7mm Yadda yadda... They all work and it will come down to preference. From my many years of use in old blue and all the repairs in that tent, to what is out there now - anything is the Chateau! But if you want the castle - The Hillebergs are the ones. Just my 2 cents.

HeadingOutside
04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm liking what you guys are saying about sticking with a cheaper tents. I guess I've managed this long. I did check out the links you guys posted. The Alaknak is 1100$ USD so that's a bit rich for my blood. I have heard great things about them. How do the insta-tents handle the wind? I'm not doing anything crazy with them but I've always wondered how they hold up to the elements. I'll take some time to do look up the others you've all mentioned.

keoke
04-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Look at eureka tents as well.

Big Lew
04-28-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm liking what you guys are saying about sticking with a cheaper tents. I guess I've managed this long. I did check out the links you guys posted. The Alaknak is 1100$ USD so that's a bit rich for my blood. I have heard great things about them. How do the insta-tents handle the wind? I'm not doing anything crazy with them but I've always wondered how they hold up to the elements. I'll take some time to do look up the others you've all mentioned.

They Coleman 6 person Instant Tent handles the wind quite well.

caddisguy
04-28-2015, 10:08 PM

How did the cheap coleman tent handle the wind? Sure you can get a sexy aerodynamic tent, but at the end of the day it doesn't make much difference. Try to get shelter from the wind if you can. If you have no choice but to set up on a plateau all exposed, leave your hot rocks in the tent while your out. $50 tent... another 15 years of use... no worries about damaging it or having someone steal it... save the extra $700 :)

two-feet
04-28-2015, 10:22 PM
we just got a marmot limestone6 tent. I can stand right up in it, 2 vestabules, easy set-up take down. good for truck camping but too big for the backpack. about $450 I think. seems well constructed but I guess time will tell, it reviewed quite well. its big enough for me and the wife, 2 kids, dog, and all our gear. looking forward to getting out in that sucker this year!

Bubba123
04-29-2015, 03:26 AM
Outbound tents are good. Lifetime warranty. Break a pole, wreck a zipper, tear a fly loop, etc...fixed no questions asked. When I was in scouting, we had several of them that had heavy useage and went in for repairs every year - fixed for free. I won't buy anything else.

XPEIer
04-29-2015, 06:04 AM
I will second the Eureka Tents, we bought one similar to this back in 1994 and still use it today, never leaks, relatively light (two people can split it and back pack it in), easy to set up. http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-sq-outfitter-4-tent

Ohwildwon
04-29-2015, 10:45 PM
I,ve owned an MEC Lightfield for 22 years, and it will probably last another 22...
And they still make it....http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-669/mec-lightfield-2-tent/?h=10+50055+50130+50858&f=10+50130+50828+50858

One of the best things about it is the body heat from two people, will raise the temp from near zero to 15 deg cel in minutes! Which is great for changing clothes and not having to live in your sleeping bag..

avadad
04-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Love my Eureka Summit tent…it's a trusted companion. You would do well to invest in a quality mummy style sleeping bag and air mattress.

BgBlkDg
04-30-2015, 04:10 AM
I bought my first of quite a number of mountain tents in 1969, have lived solo in BC mountains for periods from 4-6 weeks in some of my tents and have tried many brands.

I would suggest either a Marmot or Big Agnes family sized tent based on your comments here, MSR also makes some good ones.

I will not buy anything except Hilleberg now, only the original Integral Designs were as good, BUT, the larger Hilles cost a LOT of coin. I have now had three of their tents, still have my original Saivo, but, these are about $1400.00 USD new and the model I really want, the Saitaris, is about $1700.00 USD new.......

For long stay, remote wilderness use and I have a lot of hands-on experience here, that Saitaris is THE way to go and worth the un godly price.....you would almost think the thing had solid gold poles...............

cruiser
04-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Hey guys,

I'm in need of a new tent...

I'm fortunate enough that I am able to spend about every weekend hunting in the fall. Leave late on Saturday night, arrive at around midnight to "the spot."
This leads me to believe that wall tents are out. I need a sturdy but still decently quick to set up tent. Budget around $750. Anyone suggestions folks?

Devon

My opinion, for that use you should get a vehicle you can sleep fairly comfortably in. Arrive at midnight, hop in the back to get some rest, hunt the next day, leave for home. No point putting up and tearing down tents, especially wet tents. But yes, also get a cheapie tent for when you are staying somewhere a few days.

BRvalley
04-30-2015, 08:09 AM
this sounds like a dedicated truck camping tent? do you plan to backpack this tent? and only for the fall in the colder weather?

I use my ice fishing hut, pop up, takes all of 45 seconds to setup, and another 45 seconds to anchor...the windows are plastic, which gets muggy in the warmer weather, but I made new window inserts out of screen door mesh, Velcro and PL 400, cheap quick and easy

fairly water proof when new, but you can use silicone tent waterproofer on the roof, or a tarp...I sleep on a cot, and use my big buddy heater in the mornings and nights...no issues cooking in it, long as you don't smoke yourself out

I have the non insulated model, cost about 300, but you can get much larger ones that would be better suited for actually hunting/camping with it

only issues are they are a bit bulky, mine weighs 30 lbs, and they are not comfortable in warm weather

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/IMG_0541_zpss6radi5n.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/IMG_0541_zpss6radi5n.jpg.html)

buddyrip
04-30-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm thinking about bying a cheep van at auction, putting a bed and all gear in it, quick tarp off the side door and tow my quad on trailer. easy set up and very mobile.

brian
04-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Lately with the family we have only been doing car camping, so we have a ridiculously massive MEC cabin 6 that can easily double as a small arena for sporting events http://www.mec.ca/product/5032-206/mec-cabin-6-tent/?No=40&h=10+50055+50130+50858&f=10+50130+50858. It has been through some nasty weather and not a drip inside. But the best part of car camping with it is the double twin foamies we lay width ways in it. I also said, screw the noisy sleeping bags... lets just bring our comforters, we sleep like babies! So if you are car camping then I say any tent will do as long as it keeps you dry and stands up in the wind. But I would strongly recommend picking up a good sized thick foamy (like 4" thick not any those dinky little camping foamies or stupid air mattresses) and making sure whatever tent you are using can fit its footprint! You will not regret it one bit after you first glorious nights sleep. One more pro, the thick foam will insulate you much better against the cold ground than anything else out there. Win win. So to sum up, buy a foamy and then make sure the tent works around it!

BillyGoatKid
05-24-2015, 08:06 AM
I just got an MSR Elixir 3, its a slightly sturdier version of the very popular extra light hubba series. A compromise for backpacking and car camping. ~300$.

srupp
05-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Never go wrong with mountain hardware..I have a 1.5 pound sheep hunting tent and a 4 season moose hunting tent..both are top of the heap awesome..
No stove..
Steven