PDA

View Full Version : So....what have I got to do for a moose this year?

ratherbefishin
04-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Being on the island,I have one shot at it,no scouting.I read the reports,PG moose populations are way down,southern BC doesn't look promising.My usual 'any bull' spot on the Swift River is getting crowded,so I may have to try a fly in somewhere where there is a healthy moose population .Any suggestions?not interested in trophy moose,just a nice eating 3-4 year old bull and a good time with my boys

swampthing
04-27-2015, 06:36 PM
The good ol Alaska hwy is usually good for a moose! I never shot one last year but I only had 3 days to hunt. It is tougher than I remember a few years back. I spend quite a bit of time on utility right of ways for work and I probably don't see a dozen moose a year. Nap took me on a jetboat run the other weekend and we actually saw 9 in 2 hours. That's more like it.

Apolonius
04-28-2015, 06:25 AM
Alaska highway is getting crowded every day.Between restrictions and low numbers in other areas ,hunters have moved there with great numbers.It is not a fun place to be if you like some privacy.And the LNG work up there is relentless.And if you add the exploding wolf population,you got lots of competition.After saying all that,there are moose there,but you got to go the extra mile, after what you thought it was the extra mile.A jet boat is a good idea.Flying in for moose is more and more appealing.Less crowds but more work.Horses is another way with Packers help.So ....put in for a draw .... get lucky ....and hope you get lucky again to harvest something good.Dease lake side is worth looking.Hear some good stories up there.

ratherbefishin
04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Any ideas on hiring a plane to put us down on a remote lake?theres four of us so split four ways the cost shouldn't be exorbident,especially if it increases the odds of getting a moose,and being away from crowds is a big plus

srupp
04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Any ideas on hiring a plane to put us down on a remote lake?theres four of us so split four ways the cost shouldn't be exorbident,especially if it increases the odds of getting a moose,and being away from crowds is a big plus

Send a pm with ph number some great populations of northern moose on pretty reasonable plane lakes

Steven Rupp

ratherbefishin
04-28-2015, 12:12 PM
PM sent,disregard first one,wrong ph #

RiverOtter
04-28-2015, 12:44 PM
While a fly in is appealing for opportunity, the weight restrictions don't meld well with 4 moose tags.

Buckzilla
04-28-2015, 03:51 PM
The good ol Alaska hwy is usually good for a moose! I never shot one last year but I only had 3 days to hunt. It is tougher than I remember a few years back. I spend quite a bit of time on utility right of ways for work and I probably don't see a dozen moose a year. Nap took me on a jetboat run the other weekend and we actually saw 9 in 2 hours. That's more like it.

Shhhh! Everyone's running to buy a jet boat now....

M.Dean
04-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Go North Young Man, Go North! Ain't no moose round here! So, yes, put in a moose draw for way way, way up North! Have a great trip! Take lots of Pic's!

Trigger Happy
04-28-2015, 06:36 PM
North is right my friend! Come to Mackenzie, close to town and hotel, I live here and go out 10km and see a moose almost everyday, we say it's shot out cause it's our secret lil hole, good luck to you and your sons :)

Fred1
04-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Newfoundland considered a "fly in"??